1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What 1 move do you wish Daryl Morey could have a do over on?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

Cool most of it was about dragic & Lin and how he could make the team better this year and next. But it did hold other points. I'm cool with our backcourt now yeah dragic is more polished than Lin, I will say that. Lina been playing weak lately but at the same time he has helped this team win many games & was a big part of our winning streak, he always steps up when harden is out. Would love to have VET brooks around for playoff insurance so I don't like the brooks trade.

JAMES JOHNSON is my move I would've made dude doesn't shoot the 3 at high clip but he does everything else this team needs, scrappy, takes pride in playing D, rebounder, great in transition finishing, we still don't have a answer for KD & griffen

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I think the Squid trade is #1.

In a draft there will always be better players drafted behind your pick. We were in a position where we had almost nothing, we weren't looking to add a good role player, we were trying to build a team from scratch. Royce was a high risk high reward pick. Physically with size, speed and strength I would have put him high up there with NBA talent after Lebron. Now, I'm guessing Morey did his research and weighed the risks associated with the pick. I don't mind that decision at the time.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Dragic. We developed him and let him go. What a waste.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Would retaining Dragic have hurt our chances of getting Dwight?

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

The reason you see so many Dragic posts/threads is because a good subset of them were also LOHs being passive aggressive.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Surprised no one mentioned drafting Landry over Gasol. That would be the biggest upgrade in talent. Although you do wonder how the Rockets rebuild would've looked if they actually had a star after Yao/T-Mac's career-ending injuries. Although if I personally had a time-traveling text that I can send Morey, I'd tell him to move up in the 2011 draft to get Paul George. George, Harden, Howard...

Most plausible move I would've wished us make was Leonard over Morris. Yes, I do like Parsons better. But I would've liked both on this team.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

That one time, when he did that one deal......that one was a smh deal.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I can buy that. good post.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Good post crash. I get to watch the Phoenix Suns play quite often so this one really hurts. The Dragon is such a beast might I add clutch. He doesn't back down to anyone. Goran is also a nice person outside the courts, never heard of any problems in the local news, also very courteous and humble in all of his interviews.

It's a shame because he flourished under Mchale's Rockets. The Suns disrespected him while his tenure here backing up Nash. They never really gave him a chance until they saw what he did for H-Town.

Dragon is the only thing I can put up with when it concerns the crappy Rockets hating Suns.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Dragic's salary is less than Lin's so I don't see how.

11. crash5179

Hard for me to call that one. Landry was a terrific player in his own right. And don't forget Landry was turned into Kevin Martin who was turned into James Harden.

Landry was also a favorite. I loved having the guy on the team.

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Adelman. Really wished he didn't run Adelman off. We would be so much better w/ Rick running this team

13. King901

King901 Member

Trading a first rounder for terrance williams.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

With as many moves as Morey has made that led to other moves (Example: Alston for Lowry/Lowry for Pick/Pick + pieces for Harden) it is hard to say "I wish he didn't do that."

A lot of people say Dragic, and believe me, I wanted Dragic on our team. I think he is the PERFECT fit for this team. But, 2015 may be a really big year and all of the contracts on this team are perfectly designed to give us some flexibility in 2015 to be favorites to win the championship for years.

Morey does not make moves with only that move in mind. Everyone always says Morey is playing chess and it's true. He may not get the exact player he wants or get every move his way, but he sees where the time is right and knows when big things could happen creates opportunities for great things to happen and each move has to be in sync with those opportunities.

1 person likes this.
  15. crash5179

This post is absolute truth. Every move DM makes is with an eye on the next possible move. If the Rockets manage to get someone like Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge in free agency then I think not giving Dragic the 4th year will be viewed as the right move.

16. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Dragic staying would have changed the future of this team, but not necessarily for the better. Events like player transactions could have been different, and obviously the game too. Dwight came here not just because the Lakers sucked, but because the Rockets were also playoff worthy under Lin/Harden/Parsons/Asik. Keep in mind that it was an 8th seed; the postseason could have been missed entirely, and there's no guarantee that it would have been made at all if Dragic were here (everyone just assumes the team would have been better). There's a difference between running your own show and playing alongside major pieces. An entire roster overhaul was done after years of franchise mediocrity. Reminiscing is fine, but simply put, the universe is as it should be.

1 person likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dragic. The run he had for those few months was so much fun to watch. Morey has made bigger "mistakes" but this one I think has the most impact on this team right now.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

1. Not getting Goran back as a free agent...really the only blunder he has made...

2. Wasting a draft pick on Joyce White...

everything else is disregarded b/c he was able to trade pennies for a $100 bill with Dwight and James...Stars win in this league, and he was able to get two of them...

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good points, but to that I will say Dragic's personality make up is a bit different than Jeremy's. Goran wouldn't gone solo, but I think he would have been determined to prove that, he deserves to be the primary playmaker on the team. Harden may have chaffed a bit, but I think he would have adjusted to being a co-ball handler on the court along with Dragic.

Jeremy is a good player, but you feel that he is considerably better than Goran which I don't think is true.

20. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Surprised no one has mentioned trading Nicolas Batum for Joey Dorsey.