1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What’s Your Preferred Power Forward Option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 23, 2013.

?

What Power Forward option do you prefere

1. Zach Randolph

14.0%
  2. Pau Gasol

8.8%
  3. Josh Smith

24.6%
  4. Pat & Mook are fine

0.9%
  5. Let DMo and TJones develop and get a chance before making a move

51.8%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that the Power Forward position is by far the weakest link on the team. I’m not sure if there is even a close second. Here are the most commonly mentioned free agents that could be moved by the trade deadline. Do you have a preference or should we just stand pat with what we have. I would prefer to just stand pat and let the rookies develop and go after a legit all-star in free agency.

Zach Randolph:
    Salary – 16.5mil / year thru 2014/2015 Season
    Age – 31
    PPG – 16.2
    APG – 1.3
    RGP – 11.6
    SPG – 0.84
    BPG – 0.47
    PER – 19.3
    FG% – .483
    3PT% – .125

Pros:
    - Great Rebounder and a dominant half court player on offense.
    - Play-off experience and success.
    - Legit second scoring option to Harden and would make the Rockets much better on offense when teams force them into a half court game.
    - Rebounding would allow Asik to go after more blocks without worrying about PPat or Mook not rebounding.
    - Legit scoring option with Harden on the bench.
    - Contract is up in the summer of 2015 which is the same summer that the Rockets are only obligated to James Harden, protecting cap flexibility for that summer.

Cons:
    - He is not a great defender.
    - More of a half court player than a full court player which might not fit well with the Rockets style of play.
    - Has a great shot away from the basket but not range to the 3pt line which could clog the paint on offense when playing next to Asik.
    - Not a long term solution at the position due to his age.
    - Salary would likely remove any and all cap flexibility for the next two summers making adding an all star or high impact free agent almost impossible.

Pau Gasol:
    Salary – 19mil / year thru 2013/2014 Season
    Age – 32
    PPG – 12.7
    APG – 3.7
    RGP – 8.3
    SPG – 0.4
    BPG – 1.4
    PER – 15.3
    FG% – .432
    3PT% – .280

Pros:
    - Good Rebounder
    - Very good half court player on offense and defense.
    - NBA Champion
    - Legit second scoring option to Harden and would make the Rockets much better on offense when teams force them into a half court game.
    - Could play Center at an all-star level or Power Forward with legit low post scoring.
    - Would improve post while on the floor with Asik with two players rebounding and going after blocked shots.
    - Legit scoring option with Harden on the bench.
    - Contract is up in the summer of 2014 which makes this a short term risk but could provide good post play while DMo and or TJones develop.

Cons:
    - More of a half court player than a full court player which might not fit well with the Rockets style of play.
    - Does not have legit range to the 3pt line which could clog the paint on offense when playing next to Asik.
    - Not a long term solution at the position due to his age.
    - Salary would likely remove any and all cap flexibility for next summer making adding an all star or high impact free agent almost impossible.

Josh Smith:
    Salary – 13.5mil / year thru 2012 / 2013 Season
    Age – 27
    PPG – 16.2
    APG – 3.8
    RGP – 8.2
    SPG – 1.3
    BPG – 2.2
    PER – 17.11
    FG% – .441
    3PT% – .309

Pros:
    - Decent Rebounder
    - Elite Athlete
    - Runs the floor very well and finishes on the break would be good fit for Rockets running style
    - Play-off experience
    - Only 27 and in the prime of his career and could be the long term solution at Power Forward
    - Very good help defender, shot blocker and gets his hands on a lot of balls
    - Rebounding would allow Asik to go after more blocks without worrying about PPat or Mook not rebounding.
    - Contract is up after this season allowing the Rockets to go after another all-star caliber player if the team is not sold on Josh at the end of the season.

Cons:
    - He is not a great man defender.
    - Not a great half court player on offense
    - Likes to play on the perimeter on offense but 3 point range is streaky at best.
    - As a free agent this summer he will likely be looking for a big pay day and which could make signing another all-star difficult.
    - A fringe all star player is not what the Rockets need.

2. Rocket_Man_2.0

Terrence Jones!

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tjones is da answa

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Young guns, Gortat, or Horford

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

There are several threads discussing this same topic

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Damn bro ...are you stealing my thoughts?

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

D-Mo's talent is very intriguing to me, so I'd like to see him get a chance next year, if he bulks up over the summer. Granted that's a pretty big if, but I haven't given up hope on him (bulking up) just yet and from a talent standpoint I think he's the guy that has by far the the most going for him.
    I don't think Terrence Jones will be the answer myself, but he did look much better than I expected him to in the Summer League and perhaps I'm simply missing something with him.

I'm not totally opposed to trading for Pau in the summer, but age, drop in production and his knee issues certainly would give me pause.
    I don't think Randolph fits with this team at all. Josh Smith is tempting, but ultimately I'd probably pass as well. There should be a few other options out there and I'd hate to see this team end up settling for the wrong guy.

8. yostros99

yostros99 Member

kevin love

9. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

Seeing as there aren't any other awesome FAs on offer, I would go for Josh Smith. Perfect for Houston's run and gun style.

10. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

This.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My "prefered" option would be for either D-Mo, Jones and Yes even 2Pat or Morris to explode on the scene as an all-star calliber PF. That's the absolute best case scenario.

Even though I have just about, and most have given up all hope on Morris & 2Pat, I suppose miracles do happen to those who believe.

However, while "Prefered" option 1 is in limbo-

Option #1, #2, and #3 right here and now is always to acquire an all-star player. Whether you think that player is Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Josh Smith is debatable.

The truth is, we are going to have to trust Morey to decifer who they believe would be worthy of making the "big splash" move for now. If you can get that guy now, you say screw everyone else, and get him.

-If Morey cannot acquire, or is waiting to acquire an all-star talent, D-Mo and Jones still deserve a chance to develop before we write them off. I think D-Mo has a unique set of skills and size to truly be a unique post player with all-star abilities. If they make that jump up to future star level in the meantime then I guess it offsets the need to acquire that player.

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yes there is a lot of threads like that, but at least this person gives pros and cons for each player. Other threads just have a question and a poll

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gasol because of skill, length of contract and Championship experince. Gasol is a lot more or a team player than Z-Bo and Smith have a reputation of being.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Not interested in shelling out big bucks to any big with health issues. Been there. Done that. No thanks.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I got a crazy idea...

Lets keep making threads that....wait for it....

ARE ALL ABOUT THE SAME THING! GENIUS!

17. kcal

kcal Member

Morey will make the right move as far as player personnel.

His weakness so far has been finding a coach who will fully utilize the roster's talent to it's fullest.

18. rocketblood713

"Let DMo and TJones develop and get a chance before making a move"

Lol and let them be like Morris and Patterson how are those young players turning out

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

But the Rockets haven't been running and gunning. McHale is forcing half-courf, so Smith wouldn't be that great.

20. rocketblood713

How about they go and get some playes that are good you got Harden and been lighting it up get Millsap or Josh Smith put some talent around him not some some young guys you wanna wait around to see if they maybe are gonna be good ...