1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

WFAN-New York report last night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Oct 10, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You're right Hottodie, Charles played with a chronic bad back since 1994, and Pippen played with one since 1998. Larry Bird played with one for several years before retiring. If the Knicks get a medical exception for Larry Johnson then that is a joke because this wasn't a sudden injury, this is one he has played with for year, and could have played with longer if he didn't want the buy out. The Knicks are applying, but there is no way they should get an exception for it. Even if he re-aggravates it it shouldn't get them an exception. I bet if Mo came back next year and re-aggravated the achilles' injury they would get an exception and it would be a joke if New York got one.

2. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Even if they trade Foyle it doesn't mean they will match Marc Jackson offer from Houston. Foyle makes less than Jackson so I don't understand why they would do it. If they would trade Dampier or Fortson I would be more worried but not Foyle.

3. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

IF they get the exception thell waste it on ANTHONY MASON not marc jackson trust me on this one!!

4. Sane

Sane Member

I thought the Warriors and Rockets couldn't make any deals during the 15-day waiting period. Isn't that right?

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

There is a better chance of Osama Bin Laden making it through security tonight at the Yankee Game than Mase ever playing for the Knicks again

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

They can't make any deals involving M Jax...they can trade Foyle if they want..or anyone else for that matter

7. H-town#1fan

H-town#1fan Member

Well if Golden State is okay with paying Marc Jackson that kind of money than they must really want him. I don't think even trading Foyle will still make Golden State want to keep Jackson. He will still be under Dampier and Fortson, plus Troy Murphy could over take his spot too, and don't forget about Jamison. I don't think he'll move back to small foward. I think Fortson or Dampier will be playing the center spot. So basically Jackson will be limited to a backup role. He comes to Houston, and he will be a huge part of the offense, and he gets that 6 year contract. Ultimately, I think Jackson will be doing whatever it takes to get to Houston. One thing for sure, he'll be definitely unhappy in Golden State. Thats good for Houston.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heb,

Was that a post, or some kind of hiccup in the world's psychic fabric?

What were those crazy designs on the bottom? Am I going to wake up tomorrow and have a strong urge to kill my parents?

I did like the music reference, though. :)

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And so did NJ when Jayson Williams retired, "that's all there is to it." Maybe I am missing something here, when did Larry Johnson get "injured." He missed the last 11 games and all of the playoffs. Is that when he got "injured?" If so, his timetable is expired. Did he aggravate something in camp, this summer? Did he even play in camp?

You are not allowed to hang onto a player just to see if he can come back (or to wait for a replacement player you want to become available); that is why there is an Oct 1st deadline, and that is why Jayson Williams was denied, because they apparently waited too long to declare him finished.

If these rules has changed, then is the exception now going to be awarded for any player retiring in the middle of a player contract who has been injury plagued all his career? And can teams hold on to him to wait for the opportune time to apply for the exception, thus turning the injury-plagued player into a commodity to use to beat the cap?

With Johnson, if there is an aggravating event from last season, their chance has expired. Instead, the Knicks are trying to say that a chronic, injury-plagued career came to an end last April, "Please give us an exception now, since Larry just wanted to give it one more go."

Pole, "All there is to it " is not necessarily right. Even if they rule that it is a career-ending "injury" like Longley, they could easily say that NY applied too late for an exception, like Jayson Williams.

imo, "all there is to it" is don't worry about this one stealing away Marc Jackson.

#29 heypartner, Oct 10, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2001
  10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Crispee...you're probably right that the league will deny the exception. But I don't think it's as black and white as you do.

NY isn't up there saying, "Boo hoo, we screwed up and forgot to ask for this last year when LJ got injured; please have mercy on us."

They're up there saying, "Listen, LJ had a slight injury last year that kept him from playing. We thought he'd be completely healed by now, but he pulled something a few weeks back, and he really messed things up this time. We don't think he can make it back ever now."

All I'm saying is that NY is putting a spin job on this, and this is a pretty subjective area as it is. I'll be very surprised if they get the exception, but I'm sure as hell not going to blow it off as a complete impossibility.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This was New Jersey's argument that failed in Summer 2000. They even reported that Williams re-injured himself before filing, something that NY hasn't even done.

The reason I say this is black and white is because he did not reaggravate this summer, and he does not have a progressive illness like arthritis. Just because you can say that you don't really know whether rest will improve is back injury, doesn't mean that some invented "grey area" of prognosis enters into this case, such that it is no longer black and white.

There is a rule that the team "should have reasonably known" when the player couldn't play the next season. What? We are going to give LJ one more chance, and if he can't do it, we are going to claim start date of injury as today?

Let's see, maybe 3 yrs from now if Griffin becomes a monster and TMo beats expectations, and Rice starts tailing off, we can sit Rice down the last 11 days in April and the playoffs, and force him to retire his last year of contract so we can claim a $5m exception....aren't we special!!

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I hope not, because if we do lose Jax I'm holding you personally responsible crispee!:)

13. DissMember

DissMember Member

It is my understanding that a medical exception can not be used in a trade that involves a player from the same team (i.e. med exception and Ward for Foyle).

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

There are about 10 other posts explaining this. Let's just see what happens. I wonder if New York is carrying a grudge after the Rice fiasco.

15. drpepper

drpepper Member

I think Jackson has been too quiet through all this. Someone should call him and encourage him to make some noise. He should be at the game tomorrow in Houston, they'll surely interview him and he can say " I'm here supporting MY team and getting used to the city, Golden State shouldn't call me cause I'm where I need to be, PERIOD ". I think GSW will get the message after that. Hopefully , he'll be wearing a Rockets t-shirt.

Bskball.com has NY targeting O. Polynice and Chris Gatling with the exception, if they get it. It would look really bad for them to trade Ward after they publicly went on record saying that they wanted him there and wanted to put those rumors to rest.

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I'm curious about the turn around time on this. Considering it took the rockets a century to turn in the damn application, if the Knicks get the exception granted before time runs out for the Warriors to match, then something will be pretty awry w/ this whole bizness.

rimbaud, my post was definitely a belch in the whole cosmic holistic ether or some such nonsense, but it also was a tangent from the post immediately before mine.

The totem poles at the bottom of my post were based on a shocka brah culture.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

18. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

HA HA...:p

19. Thanos

Thanos Member

YES! Marc is almost ours now!

All praise the wisdom of crispee!:D

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I've got to admit, CP was dead on the money in his assessment of this one.