1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We've got country and western on the bus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 15, 2008.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

...R&B
    We've got disco, and 8-tracks and cassettes in stereo...

...but no diapers, apparently. i imagine this is one of the (many) reasons, she connects w/ voters...can't see Obama, or Bush or his dad, doing this, and i suspect it's not the first time she's been in a walmart.

'course, it's no home depot, or Katie's restaurant...

[​IMG]

[rquoter]GALLIPOLIS — Gallipolis Wal-Mart shoppers were at first surprised and then excited on Sunday to find a national political figure in their midst who was, just as they were, picking up a few things she needed.

Accompanied by her youngest son Trig, security, staffers and a small pool of news media, Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin stepped off the “Straight Talk Express” bus to enter the store around 1:30 p.m., where she purchased a bag of Parents’ Choice brand disposable diapers and a toy.

But it was also an opportunity for the first-term Alaska governor to meet the public at large and win some votes for the ticket on which she’s running with the GOP White House nominee, U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

Palin did not have time to answer questions from the media following her trip through southeastern Ohio, but left some folks exhilirated at meeting her.

“It was so exciting,” said Pat Miller of Patriot, accompanied by her daughter Amber, a student at South Gallia High School. “She seemed to be very sweet, and if she could stop and take the time to buy some diapers for her son, it tells you that for her, family is first.”

Palin was to speak at a rally in St. Clairsville later in the day. After arriving at Tri-State Airport near Huntington, W.Va., Palin boarded the bus for the what would be her single stop for Gallipolis.

“I told the governor when she arrived at the airport she would see the most beautiful part of Ohio when she traveled up this way through Lawrence and Gallia counties,” said former Sen. Mike DeWine of Ohio, who with his wife Fran traveled with the Palin entourage.

The other announced stop was for Marietta, and reports Palin would make a stop at the last day of the Bob Evans Farm Festival proved incorrect as the entourage was seen traveling north on Ohio 7 after leaving Gallipolis.

“I think it’s a great thing for us,” said Andy Fisher of Gallipolis, present with his wife Jo Ellen and daughter Ashley when Palin stopped. “She has a good Christian heart and will make a fine vice president.

“She really cares about people with special needs and she’s not afraid to stand up to big business,” he added.

“She was really down to earth,” Ashley Fisher said. “There was no ego and she treated us with respect, which sometimes you don’t get from political people.”

Palin, who spoke Thursday in Wilmington, a city to be hit hard with the loss of jobs from the DHL delivery service hub based there, spoke later in a community where union sentiment runs high.

St. Clairsville is the seat of Belmont County, won by John Kerry in the 2004 presidential race, and also the home of U.S. Rep. Charlie Wilson, a first-term Democrat whose Sixth Congressional District includes Gallia and Meigs counties.

“I think we will do well in southern and southeastern Ohio,” DeWine reflected. “Even in more Democratic counties we’re seeing more people coming in for McCain signs.”

“I try to look at both sides,” Pat Miller said. “I want to vote for the best person for my country because I have to think about my children’s future.”

With three weeks left in the campaign, Ohio — considered a major swing state for McCain and Democratic opponent Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois — has becone a regular stop for the candidates. Obama spoke in Dayton, Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Chillicothe and Columbus late last week, and plans a visit to Toledo today.

Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, Obama’s running mate, will also speak in St. Clairsville on Tuesday at 4 p.m. at the Ohio University Eastern Campus, and in Marietta at Armory Square Wednesday at 7:15 p.m.[/rquoter]

and Ohio stays red this year...

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Yes, I'm sure Obama never ventured out to get diapers or cough syrup or do anything that parents need to do for their kids... I'm sure he had Bill Ayers on call for all that stuff. :rolleyes:

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Maybe. Repubs got a big assist with the ruling yesterday that will likely prevent new voters from voting (you must be so proud!), but Obama is still polling ahead.

Of course, it does not matter if VA, FL, NC, CO, and IN go for Obama.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Yeah she is reeling them in with that -20 net unfavorable rating!

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Wow, I bet that was just a completely spontaneous, totally unplanned stop at the Wally World.

I'm sure that Children's Protective Services might have something to say about her failure to properly support the neck of that special needs baby she is holding.

Don't you think those Secret Service guys should help a lady out?

At least get them out of the photo-op shot to make it look more genuine.

6. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

shortbus boarding call. All loonies aboard.

[​IMG]

Palin not in bad news is good news now days, I suppose.

Ohio made the mistake in 00 and 04, but not this time. They are gunning for the winner.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

your alternate geeky response to that was:

Objection: Form...assumes facts not in evidence

I would have laughed...wait, I'm laughing now.

8. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Member

Her son Trig has Down syndrome and for you to throw in a shortbus
    reference is just horrible.

You've really gone to a new low in making fun of a baby that has mental r****dation and his mother by making that reference.

9. Faos

Faos Member

Is the "short bus" joke really necessary considering the story is centered around Palin's son?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

^wow some guys were on insult alert! Bristol in 2040!

In other news here's Palin making friends in the GREAT NORTHWEST! aka New Hampshire.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1hN6DFQyDs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1hN6DFQyDs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. Mulder

Mulder Member

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

What's the reference? :confused:

13. David Stern

David Stern Member

hahahahahahahah....the crowd tried to correct her....

14. David Stern

David Stern Member

his post has nothing to do with her son...and everything to do with her failed candidacy

15. Smokey

Smokey Member

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt he was making fun of Palin and her supporters and not her infant son. I hope no one would reach that low for a joke.

16. Faos

Faos Member

That's obvious, but the short bus crack hit too close to Palin's home in this case.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I actually read one that, sadly, I considered quite funny. I won't repeat it, because it was in bad taste, but yes... people do reach that low.

18. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

pretty obvious.

19. David Stern

David Stern Member

pretty obvious that you are a fool..
    the key to his post was...all loonies aboard, like yourself.
    NOT all r****ds aboard.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

What happened in Ohio? :confused: