1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conference Semifinals: (2) Oklahoma City vs. (3) LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 4, 2014.

?

(2) Oklahoma City vs. (3) LA Clippers

Poll closed May 6, 2014.
  1. Thunder in 4

1.4%
  2. Thunder in 5

2.9%
  3. Thunder in 6

20.0%
  4. Thunder in 7

24.3%
  5. Clippers in 7

20.0%
  6. Clippers in 6

28.6%
  7. Clippers in 5

1.4%
  8. Clippers in 4

1.4%
  1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

CP blew it. I can't tell if he fouled Westbrook or not. But, it was close enough that it could be called by the official. Why even give the official the opportunity to make that decision? Also, CP turned the ball over two times in the final fifteen seconds.

Officials miss calls all the time. Great teams play well enough to overcome missed calls by officials. It's a seven game series, the better team will win.

2. VanityHalfBlack

In some ways I can see that argument but.... There's a but, CP3 has more positives to his games than negative ones, and one being he is a top 3 PG in the NBA while Lin on the other hand?????

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I agree that there are make-up calls in games, perhaps even late in the game. However, I am fairly confident that I have never seen a make-up call AFTER a video review! Add the fact that they only had two(poorer) camera angles when everyone in the arena saw the critical one, and you can understand why people are upset.

Having said that, I will applaud the refs for not compounding the matter by giving doc a tech even though he tried so hard to earn it.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

When was the the last team so great that the reffing wasn't going to impact the outcome? the 2001 15-1 Lakers?

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is true, but switch Lin and Paul there for a second. Same exact plays.

Come to think of it, the post game reaction to the game last night and from what appears to be the discussion in this thread, alot of the blame is going to the refs for the potentially blown calls on the 3 pt foul and the non-call on the other end. Those are valid arguments since its not crystal clear.

However, the point is, we'd probably be roasting the crap out of Lin if he did the same plays, and only a minority would be blaming the refs.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

it's a lose-lose situation for the refs regarding the jackson play.

give the clippers the ball back then the thunder get robbed because it should have been a foul

give the thunder the ball back and the clippers get robbed because it wasn't out on them

this is why next year officials should be able to call fouls upon video review on these types of plays.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

[​IMG]

there was time on the clock. gj quitting, clippers.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Didn't know about that rule. Learn something new :).

Barnes hit his left hand which was holding onto the ball (both of Jackson hands were on the ball) and that's how Jackson lost the ball. So, in the end, although ref said that was inconclusive (what a joke), it was still the right call afterall. The wrong call was missing that foul.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the argument against reviewing fouls is that you would then only be reviewing fouls on out of bounds, or alternatively reviewing every foul

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, was surprise CP3 wouldn't foul immediately with them being down only 1. CP3 really went into full bad-Lin mode in those last few possessions.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Clippers pull a "Rockets" and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. They did get screwed on the out of bounds call. Like Doc said a hundred times: "our ball." CP went into fumblistis during the last few minutes. Strange for him. Those mental lapses probable cost them the series.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

There is a pretty big difference between getting hit on the elbow while shooting and somebody touching your bicep while you are going to the hole. It's almost impossible to hit a 3 when somebody hits your elbow. It's why Westbrook's and Curry's shots were air balls when CP3 did that. If you are going to allow that on game winning shots you might as well give the game to the team that is up.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I disagree. It doesn't have anything to do with the margin of victory. Teams that have barely won in seven games have had to overcome the officials also. Officiating is just part of the game, sometimes calls go in your favor, sometimes they don't. Hopefully the calls even out in the end. I don't think the league or the officials themselves have any kind of agenda.

In the end, Chris Paul made three critical mistakes in the final minute of the game. Without those mistakes then the Clippers probably win the game. Players and coaches can't really control whether an official makes a bad call or not, but players and coaches are responsible for their own performance on the floor. The Clippers did not perform down the stretch and they lost the game.

14. hardLINer

hardLINer Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dENg8C9d5WQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bballbreakdown talked about it

15. HOUSTONROCKETS5

Since I kinda hate the clippers and their fans ... I'm happy they're getting screwed over. :)

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The no-call on CP3 was a game changing decision! I'm OK if the refs allow a little contact, but a whistle should have blown as soon as it was apparent that CP3 would lose possession. LAC made plenty of mistakes, but the ref calls allowed the momentum to continue swinging in OKC's favor.

Also, for those of you wondering why CP3 didn't immediately foul at the end of the game: he had 5 fouls and hesitated long enough for the game to be over.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

My dislike for CP3 might be factoring into my thinking but I thought that CP3 should have held on to that ball even with that contact. I thought it was more of a case of his selling every bit of contact combined with him trying to pass or shoot after feeling the contact. I think that's the kind of contact that doesn't even phase him if he's being aggressive and attacking the basket but maybe my dislike for him is blinding me.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, I don't understand how someone can be upset if they recognize that Barnes fouled Jackson and the "right" thing to do would be to put Jackson at the FT line. I get that folks, and Doc, are saying that we should have the ball because the rules aren't set up to review foul calls. But as far as the "right" thing, you don't deserve the ball because the only reason it went out was because your player fouled Jackson. It should have either been OKC shooting FT's or give them the ball. I think it's beyond silly for a coach to get on the podium and say "I know my player fouled him but since you let us get over give us the ball".

19. VanityHalfBlack

This **** was so scripted. NBA= National Broadway Association?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol @ Doc Rivers and CP3. Both are cry baby b****es.