1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conference Semifinals: (2) Oklahoma City vs. (3) LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 4, 2014.

?

(2) Oklahoma City vs. (3) LA Clippers

Poll closed May 6, 2014.
  1. Thunder in 4

1.4%
  2. Thunder in 5

2.9%
  3. Thunder in 6

20.0%
  4. Thunder in 7

24.3%
  5. Clippers in 7

20.0%
  6. Clippers in 6

28.6%
  7. Clippers in 5

1.4%
  8. Clippers in 4

1.4%
  1. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Some of these posts are rediculous.

Just because a team makes mistakes, it doesn't mean they don't have a right to win.

The ball was clearly off of Jackson, the refs are not there to review the foul. They are there to review who touched it last. Yeah, it was a bad turnover by Paul but it was also a bad decision by Jackson to try and score rather than throwing it up for Durant.

Now, for arguments sake let's say the refs call the foul on Jackson instead of missing it. He gets 2 free throws, the game is tied. Missing that foul call and giving the ball out of bounds to OKC, they had a chance to get a 3 point attempt. Call the foul and the game most likely goes to overtime.

Not only that but on the last play, Paul was clearly fouled by Jackson before he lost the ball.

The fact they blew a lead before those calls is irrelevent. People who say that are basically saying if you blow a lead the refs are somehow supposed to officiate against you.

It is obvious, the refs decided that game. Every way you look at it, the Clippers got ****ed.

2. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

And they end up with 2 foul shots instead of 3 and the game is tied rather than OKC having the lead. So calling the missed foul would have been more benifitial in hindsight.

3. split41

split41 Member

It happened to them exactly, but they didn't give clips the ball. 2 similar situations - they got screwed on both.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wow, it posted that first pic twice...thought the URL was for two separate ones..my bad lol

6. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

I did not watch the game because I'm currently on a project in China right now but i kept reading on Twitter about the one out of bounds play and saw Docs comments and Barnes Tweet so i found the play on Youtube. I can say without knowing what happened the rest of the game with the refs, being a life long Houston sports fan, and not caring who wins this series I'm a little surprised Doc is getting crushed. It was obviously out on OKC but he was obviously fouled which caused the ball to go out. To say they got screwed is odd. IMO. If the refs would have got it completely right a fouled would have been called and OKC would have the ball unless i missed something.

7. downbytheriver

GET OVER IT. IT WAS A CLEAR FOUL, but the refs didn't want to give OKC 2 easy FT's so they gave them possession. Happens A LOT in end of game situations where things are close. Basically the Clippers threw it away, like the Rox did game 1, and didn't deserve to win. Life is too short to find ways to whine about the refs each and every time!!

8. downbytheriver

Doc is trying to divert attention from his team's collapse and how mentally fragile they are right now. he knows they don't need any more pressure.

9. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

I did not watch the game because I'm currently on a project in China right now but i kept reading on Twitter about the one out of bounds play and saw Docs comments and Barnes Tweet so i found the play on Youtube. I can say without knowing what happened the rest of the game with the refs, being a life long Houston sports fan, and not caring who wins this series I'm a little surprised Doc is getting crushed. It was obviously out on OKC but he was obviously fouled which caused the ball to go out. To say they got screwed is odd. IMO. If the refs would have got it completely right a fouled would have been called and OKC would have the ball unless i missed something.

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

It's not overblown for people like you and me. But for the casual fan it is huge.

Most people don't know or care who the hell Kevin Durant is.

A Knicks team filled with nobodies would pull in bigger ratings than OKC.

NFL is the only sport where which draws nationally. Baseball is totally localized.

The NBA is somewhere in between but don't doubt for a moment that an LA team in the Finals would be the league's most desired outcome.

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

That's not how its called. the play was never called a foul on the floor so the review should be the out of bounds which clearly on OKC, but i agree Doc is whining and they lost the game with their lazy passes at the end.

12. instantno0o0dle

i mean im rooting for the thunder but the EXACT same type of play happened in the Warriors-Clippers series where Chris Paul was obviously fouled and lost the ball out of bounds. The refs were forced to give ball back to the Warriors. If you screw up at least have the ability to screw up the same way every time.

13. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

That doesn't mean anything except how dumb as a rock Barnes is lol

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, awful officiating in this game. 6th foul on Jordan was a joke, and that out of bounds call on Jackson was a joke as well. And no, that rule of hitting the hand causing it to go out does not apply in this case, as Barnes hit Jackson's left hand and his right hand pushed it out. That rule really applies to situations such as a player getting his hand on a rebound, and the back of his hand being hit causing the ball to go out of bounds.

In this case, it was simply poor officiating, as they were not thorough with the replay review, and likely costed the Clippers the game and series.

About the Westbrook three, by the letter of the law that is a fould, yes. BUT, the NBA has set a precedent throughout these playoffs by letting marginal contact go at the end of games (for example, Chris Paul's blatant foul on Curry at the end of game 3 when he tried to win the game with a 3). This totally goes against the precedent set and the lack of consistency is an issue. Also, Chris Paul got hit on the shoulder by Jackson on his drive on the final play and of course no call. It wasn't the hardest hit, but it certainly was more than Paul's finger on Westbrook's arm, and it should have been called if the refs are trying to be consistent.

Anyway, the Clippers got absolutely screwed by the refs tonight after playing well enough to win. They obviously choked in the last few minutes, but they still should have won. Whatever, I don't really care anyway.

BTW, I don't think the league is "rigged," I just think it suffers from awful, awful officiating, and the league unfortunately doesn't hold officials accountable for crucial screw-ups.

15. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Another thing, CP3 was FOULED on the last play. That's right, no call.

[​IMG]

If you're gonna call that ticky-tack BS on Paul on that Westbrook 3, you'd better call this. What a joke.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Easy to scapegoat the refs. Chris Paul choked. Plain and simple.

Instead of blaming the refs, Doc should just say that they choked. Because that's what they did. They can only blame themselves even with the controversial calls.

17. max14

max14 Member

Reggie Jackson is an idiot. First refused to pass the ball and lost it then fouled Flop Paul when Ibaka had it covered.

18. StephenCurry

StephenCurry New Member

Westbrook for threeeeee

19. ish1973

ish1973 Member

Once again, CP3 just able to screw things up without playing bad. Interesting but not surprising.

20. pacertom

pacertom Member

The NBA could hire a legally blind referee, and that ref would still be better than Tony Brothers.