1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Western Conference Semifinals: (1) San Antonio vs. (5) Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 4, 2014.

?

(1) San Antonio vs. (5) Portland

Poll closed May 6, 2014.
  1. Spurs in 4

18.0%
  2. Spurs in 5

30.3%
  3. Spurs in 6

31.1%
  4. Spurs in 7

13.1%
  5. Blazers in 7

0.8%
  6. Blazers in 6

6.6%
  7. Blazers in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Blazers in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

how were the blazers a bad match up. countless sports writers said rockets in 6. that was the majority opinion. 3-1 in the season.

the only advantage they really had was stotts vs mchale. does it really take 6 games to figure out how to free up harden? 2 games to figure out what to do about LMA. the lack of system for the rockets was really magnified vs the blazers.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He should take Morey with him. I wasn't kidding when I said the Rockets should've waited more than not even an entire day before announcing they were bringing McHale back.

For chrissakes, why not see how Portland fared in the next round first? Cuz as we can all see now, the Rockets didn't lose to a better team that got some lucky breaks in a hard-fought series. They gave away an easy first round victory to a vastly inferior opponent because the Rockets are one of the most undisciplined, unfocused, arrogant, and poorly coached teams in the league that couldn't get defensive stops if their lives depended on it.

I sincerely hope Morey and Les didn't put the paperwork through yet on that team option for McHale. Seriously, it's not too late to basically tell the dude he blew it and to take a hike. We bring him back another year and I can guarantee this team will be sitting at home again come early May.

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If Les cares about winning he should fire Mchale after the game.

It's mind blowing how we couldn't beat the Blazers with our roster:eek::eek:

4. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

It's also important to remember that the Rockets led the series for like what - 70 percent of the series? lol.

We were a better team most of the time. We just did not know how to close games. AT ALL.

and that is ALL on MILK HAIR

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Again **** the blazers

6. deshen

deshen Member

No, Morey thinks coach does not matter much and Mchale is as good as any in this league.

7. Rox7

Rox7 Member

Morey is watching this and asks McHale: Why can't you coach like this?
    McHale: I'm just following your instructions.
    Morey: I know, your job is secured with me.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Get rid of Morey, hire Rudy T, yeah!!!!!:grin:

9. adobo

adobo Member

So what? Brooklyn beat the Heat in all regular season also? Regular season means squat.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Is the whole Morey/McHale stuff boston nepotism?

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This isn't surprising. Spurs offense is fluid with no point of attack by the defense. You can't easily stop them defensively because they are flexible and don't overly rely on anyone.

Rockets - well, we have the ISO. Stop that and we have the POST. Stop that and we have the PnR - wait, we are allergic to that. So we are back to ISO, POST, ISO, POST.

The funny thing is Duncan is probably still as good a POST player as Howard. And Parker is as good as anyone going to the basket 1-1. But they don't simply rely on those for very good reasons.

Defense - well, that's not worth talking about.

12. count_dough-ku

I'll cut the Nets a little bit of slack. They just barely survived a tough 7 game series with the Raptors and had only a couple days to prepare for a Heat team that's been off nearly a week.

The Blazers on the other hand actually wrapped up their series BEFORE the Spurs did, and they're far younger than San Antonio. So fatigue is not a factor in this ass-whooping tonight.

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Rockets are fools gold in the regular season. We haven't blown the blazers out in any of our games and yet the Spurs are doing it in game 1. Obviously I don't expect the Spurs to blow out the Blazers every game, but this is already 1 more blowout than us.

14. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

The Spurs always show you how it should get done.

Its only been going on what? 15 years?

it isn't Rocket science, no pun intended.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Just checked in on the game. LOL Spurs are a machine.

16. count_dough-ku

Maybe. There are many possible explanations for Morey keeping McHale another year:

1) Boston homerism.

2) JVG and Adelman got 4 years, so McHale should as well.

3) The Rockets lost because they were one of the youngest teams in the league.

4) Dwight came here because of McHale.

5) The players like McHale.

6) Morey is an arrogant know-it-all who's hellbent on proving that coaching doesn't matter in winning a title.

Not saying I agree with any of these excuses, but that's all I can think of. Cuz no sane follower of the NBA would argue for one second that McHale is being brought back for his coaching ability. It's infuriating that we're likely going to waste another season on this guy. The only positive to come out of it will be the schadenfreude of Morey having to admit to the fans that he f'ed up.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bail out call

18. sun12

sun12 Member

Rox is just NOT a good organization.

See what Warriors did to Mark Jackson. McHale is just not a championship coach. If championship is what Rox wants, it is better to part with McHale as quickly as possible, why wait for another year?

and look what Spurs did to the Trailblazers!

Rox management really blows.

19. Mr. Space City

parker so smooth with that MID RANGE JUMPSHOT :cool:

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I understand that there is still another half of bball...but this series should verify every question you need to know about our coaching staff...If the Spurs annihalate the Blazers in 4 games...Mchale should be walking out the door here in Houston. If the Blazers put up a fight, maybe its time for me to stop bashing our head coach...

I will gladly eat my crow if proven otherwise, but the Spurs should make quick work of this team. LMA will never be as efficient as he was with us...and Lillard will have his moments...Tonight TP is making a statement letting Lillard know, just like CP3 did vs Westbrook last night...