1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook was awful

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Do you guys not realize how pathetic a lottery protected pick three years from now that will continue to have protections sounds to a team. A team either wants a late first rounder tomorrow or the high potential for a high pick down the road.

Honestly if it was 2021 I would be completely ok. A GM would definitely give up a good player they’re ready to move on from if we’re giving them two non lottery first rounders next year, especially since they probably will be better than the 25th to 30th pick.

2. dmoneybangbang

In a gym and not during a NBA game.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was responding to a comment about a wheel chair.

I understand he hasn't been in an NBA game....and I'm fine with that.

Like I said, he's a "maybe" while Westbrook was a player we know to be absolute trash that wouldn't even show up.

Give me "maybe" success that doesn't have great odds over guaranteed failure.

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Dude head on over to twitter. Russ stans are everywhere. I didn’t realize how many I interacted with until he got traded. Player only fans are the most annoying fanbase there is.

Richie_Rich, B-Bob and Bobbythegreat like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

We don't know if he would have actually not showed at all. It's actually historically rare for a player to do that, this was clearly a power move no doubt.

Woods and Boogey are much better than Capela and Jeff Green next to WB.

That's completely ridiculous. We aren't winning the championship regardless next year. I'd rather hold out for a better package.

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Nonsense. The Rockets wouldnt have been better in the course of the overall NBA season if WB was benched the entire year along with his cap space. We needed WB to step up in late Dec/Jan during Harden's cold streak to get a homecourt that didnt matter.

Jesus youre just as stubborn and dismissive as the TJones era.....

Maybe, maybe not. Wall has yet to prove he can still be a NBA player.

WB/Beal makes more sense than Wall/Harden since Bradley played off ball.

7. beardsanity713

I stood up for Russ simply BC he was a Rocket.
    That series a few years ago when they lost in the 1st round to a rookie Donovan Mitchell & Utah where Rubio clamped him & Joe ingles clamped PG was very telling & he won MVP as a 6th seed ppl simply felt bad for him cuz KD bolted. Good riddance to dude.

MultipleSauces, B-Bob and YOLO like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's what I'm confused about. People are so passionate about this it makes me think some really think we were getting past the Lakers with CP3 last year. Lakers dismantled everyone last year...and oh yeah they are even better this year lol.

Barring some major injury, we're not beating them. We're not beating the Clippers. We're not beating the Nuggets. Maybe we make it interesting against the other teams. So looking like a 2nd round exit at the best all the same.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And I was right then too. Don't tell me you're still holding out hope, I mean sure he's still something like 28, but he washed out of the league a while ago.

10. Nook

Nook Member

We had a team deprived of height in part because his sorry ass shot worse than Kelvin Cato and couldn’t guard his own shadow.

11. dmoneybangbang

Nope. You have this habit of getting too emotionally attached and becoming blinded. You still can't get over the Harden-WB rivalry. Get over it.... Harden is better but not so much better he cant play off the ball some with WB (like at OKC).

You need help dude.....

12. dmoneybangbang

They are just passionate about hating WB...... It's not enough you think WB played bad, but he needs to be absolute trash (there's zero room for any positivity around WB unless he's being trade).

If we had trouble integrating WB during a shortened season where he got a soft tissue injury, then you can imagine what it will be like with Wall.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I just don't like bad basketball players, and I disagree with those who make excuses for bad basketball players. That was true with Jones, it's true with Westbrook.

Funny enough, both Jones and Westbrook are both flashy athletes, perhaps that's your thing? You get blinded by the flash and go to bat for terrible players.

It has nothing at all to do with Harden, Westbrook is an outright terrible basketball player, literally the worst shooter (with a minimum number of shots attempted) in the NBA over the last 5 years. Literally the most turnover prone guard in the NBA over the past 5 years.

His WS/48 was worse than Ben McLemore last season.....and that was just the regular season, he had the worst WS/48 of any Rocket that touched the court in the playoffs.

There's simply no way of defending the guy and suggesting that the team would have been better if Harden deferred to him more is beyond delusional. Frankly, it's something you'd expect from a Lin fan.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

He was running the 17th ranked offense, but OMG, HIS ASSISTS!! Lmao

actually, I didn’t...read carefully...I said there was 2 man game with Harden getting doubled and passing it to Russ which worked for a little bit...2 man game with Russ as the main playmaker that u keep talking about is trash

more excuses I see...not comfortable with his teammates, that’s the latest one for the cause of his boneheaded play...

lol, he’s better...period, end of story

no, that’s just fan fiction from u...what I do know is that CP3 was happy winning 65 games and making it to the WCF for the 1st time in his career

yeah, it was ranked better because KD propped it up and Westbrook was actually a top 7 player...it’s 2020 Westbrook, not 2015...

Bobbythegreat and YOLO like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

I've literally shown you that Wall has turned it over more than WB using TOV% multiple times.... :rolleyes:

I would do the same thing with TJones to show your analysis was wrong but you just ignore it...... there's no rationally discussing basketball (certainly not politics) with you. You ended up denigrating which ever player you don't like, you remove all redeeming qualities.

And what do you think Ben McLemore's WS48 would have been if he had to play WB's role?

Go take a look at John Wall WS/48 numbers and compare them to WB..... The year Durant left the OKC WB posted his second best number (2.24), while Wall never averaged over 1.5...........

There's simply no way of defending the guy and suggesting that the team would have been better if Harden deferred to him more is beyond delusional. Frankly, it's something you'd expect from a Lin fan.[/QUOTE]

No, it's just being rational and not basing everything off a season where WB went from being comfortable at OKC to figuring out to play with Harden in Houston.

I just brought up WS48 stats and showed WB is better than Wall..... WB last season at OKC was better than Wall's average....

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And yet what I said is still an absolute fact that you cannot deny so you attempt to change the subject to muddy the water.

....and you were wrong, that scrub already washed out of the NBA AND washed out of China, last I heard was playing for some team in Puerto Rico but if you have 20 bucks he'd probably join your pick up league.

Like I said, it seems you just have a weird fetish for highly flashy and athletic players who are terrible at basketball. I honestly cannot believe you are STILL trying to double down on Terrence Jones of all people.

17. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Westbrook was an awful fit to the team, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a terrible trade because Wall's contract is way worse than Westbrook's.

Westbrook still is a force of nature pushing the pace and attacking the rim, an MVP only a couple seasons ago. He has the potential to instantaneously make a bad team competitive and exciting. In the right situation, one can certainly see a team taking on his $133M contract as long as they don't give away significant assets. If his is a free agent, a max contract is still quite likely.

Wall? Has he ever been better than Westbrook? He was a poor-man's version of Westbrook, and may never get back to that shape. His contract would take many first-round picks to dump. This is a very lopsided trade, and the commentaries reflect that.

18. dmoneybangbang

LMAO..... BRO... using offensive net rating John Wall ran the 15th best offense his last fully healthy season while WB's durant-less offense was 6th! Using net rating.

It's adorable you think WB can't create!

Actually you got called out for your hyperbole.... "Mythical" "Amazing". I said no such things.

Or explanations. Do you not think this was a big change for Russ?

But not so much better he can't play off ball.

Nope. Harden can be detrimentally selfish sometimes. If he wants to win then he'll move around a bit more.

Yep and 2020 was maybe an anomaly. To not even discount that is foolish.

19. dmoneybangbang

No, the fact is Wall is slightly more turnover prone using TOV%. I use math to show absolutes facts.....

Nope, because you never understood the debate. You cared more about denigrating Jones, just like WB. Even when I prove you wrong, you just pretend like it didn't happen.

I just dropped some more "absolute facts" on you regarding Wall vs WB..... and look at you deflect.

John Wall WS48 last healthy season: 0.92
    WB WS48 last OKC season/this year: 1.24/.98

Whose yo daddy?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here's the thing, you never proved me wrong.....you realize that you're still going to bat for a player that washed out of the NBA AND China already? LOL, seriously have SOME self awareness here and realize what you are doing.

If you've been following along, you'd know that I don't want John Wall to come back playing like he did back then, the biggest knock on him back then is that he played like Westbrook and it was awful. It's why I've been talking about the parts of his game that would be useful in Houston, parts of his game that your guy Westbrook simply doesn't have.

He's been telling people for over a year now how he's trying to modify his game and how he's been focusing primarily on improving his 3 ball....which was already better than Westbrook's.

I want him coming back being a pure point guard, a pass first point guard, who can hit the open 3 if needed and maybe play some solid defense. Things Westbrook simply cannot do.

You're in love with the flash and BS with Westbrook's game, the same as you were Terrence Jones (LOL I cannot believe you are still on about that BTW) and you likely loved John Wall's early game too.....because it was terrible.

What I'm looking for are things that are good, that's why I'm not going on about how he used to play.