1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook Trade ideas!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Sep 10, 2020.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Unless Harden is being shipped out, too, this thread is wishful thinking. Harden isn’t going to be happy with the idea of his lifelong friend being traded after one season playing together.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Miami is apparently going to destroy their contending team to get Harden who butler didn't want to play with to begin with. No idea where this idea is coming from

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

You want a 30 year old PG who's coming off a major injury (to his Achilles, no less) who doesn't shoot the 3 often nor well at all?

C'mon, bruh. That's the wrong Wizards guy to target.

baller4life315 likes this.
  4. Aware

Aware Member

this roster is probably the end game for harden in houston. maybe trading some small pieces here and there but all those picks/caplea being shipped sealed our faith. this is rockets basketball for the next 5yrs.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

well they sure ain't giving up beal. that's a given

and at least he's a better fit than wb. better iq and shoots better

6. Mr. Space City

Harden is not going to ship off his best friend.

It would take the Rockets going up to Harden, and saying they want to move on from him and Westbrook.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wall hasn't played meaningful basketball in 2 years. Also, did you miss the part where he's coming off a ruptured Achilles?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah i didn't. he'll still be better than this trash in westbrick.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

There's absolutely no reason to think that, but okay. You do you.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's plenty of reasons to think so. I just said he has a better iq and better shot. that's already a better fit

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ok. I still don't understand.

Wall is a 30 year old PG who has always relied on speed and athleticism to be a good PG. Chances are, that's probably gone now because of the Achilles injury. There's barely any professional basketball player who has ever successfully replicated the efficiency they had, pre-rupture.

The dude also cannot shoot 3s. And with the way the team is constructed, even without Westbrook, I don't think we're going to suddenly shy away from a "layups and 3s" mentality. So if he's lost a step and getting layups is hard, and he can't shoot 3s...what good is Wall, on our team?

We've had a 34 year old PG who we traded because of injury concerns. Now we have a 30 year old PG who can't shoot 3s. There are good things and bad things about CP3 and Russell Westbrook, but with Wall, I very much doubt you'll get the best of both worlds with him.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Sounds like WB

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes absolutely a much improved as a perimeter shooter. and coming off this hiatus it wouldn't be a surprise if he remained that way. much better than westbrick who shoots in the 20% range and in no way will get better. wall is much more skilled than westbrick. anywhere from ball handling to passing and adjustments. plays much better defense as well.

wb knows 1 way to play. and that's dumb and throw up bricks. wall is easily a much better fit here but washington isn't dumb enough to get stuck with westbrick

pr0wler likes this.
  14. HROZ

HROZ Member

John Wall is a worse version of Russ.
    Less explosive
    As bad a shooter
    Worse attitude
    Only upside is he's 2 years younger.

But coming off an Achilles tear.

No way I do this trade.

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

john wall is better than westbrick even coming off an achilles tear

being explosive means nothing if youre just dumb like westbrick
    hes easily a better shooter than westbrick.
    Wb's attitude doesn't do him any favors. he tries to yell and talk trash which means nothing. it gets him in trouble. hes been owned on numerous occasions and still can't shut up.

most of cf's loved the wb trade despite a number of the higher iq's knowing this was garbage from the get go. it shouldn't be expected those same people understand whether a trade is considered an improvement or not. same people that thought mcw was a good acquisition, same people who thought ennis was a good acquisition, same people who thought melo was a good acquisition. it goes on and on

#55 YOLO, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Bingo.

17. dadesokan

dadesokan Contributing Member

What I still don’t understand how Westbrook got this bad Very quickly over the last few years. I mean his shot is broken, lost handles, deadly midrange pull up gone, lost his ability to shoot the 3ball at a respectable clip, terrible at passing for a PG, lost court vision and awareness On defense, cant shoot free throws at a high clip, lost his athleticism ... I mean this is a great fall for a former MVP and potential future hall of famer!
    I don’t know what we would be able to get for him at this point, but it does not look like much unless someone gets fleeced again like this organization. I hope I’m wrong.

18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Just a suggestion of a place that would be appealing to him. I don't see anywhere that Butler said he didn't want to play with Harden, not sure where that came from, they are actually pretty cool with each other. Wade sold him on the franchise and the city. I think he just didn't want to play in Houston, it doesn't even seem like he reps the city at all. Either way Dragic is expiring off a max deal, so they will likely be making some sort of move.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

you don't know where that came from? I mean the rockets just literally had an entire offseason dedicated to recruiting Butler and he literally ghosted Harden. no idea how you missed that. It's clear Butler isn't trying to play 2nd fiddle to anyone. A lot of people laughed at that but it turned out to be the right decision for him and miami. harden isn't some FA. he still has 3 years left on this deal. there's literally no realistic avenue of him ending up in miami anytime soon

20. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

His mid-range was never deadly tbh. Either way, his mid range game this year hasn't been any worse than before. He is shooting at above career averages from 10-23 ft.

But yes his 3-point shot has definitely failed him for the most part, and his FT% is a bit shaky, and he has definitely lost a step from his prime. Teams are starting to counter his weaknesses even more now, which limits his value on the court. The 5 out spacing is nice, but when teams just sag off him and don't respect his 3-point shot and focus on protecting the rim, I don't see exactly what he's adding on the offensive end.

Easy likes this.