1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook: Right now I am just running around

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 7, 2020.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Games like this make me miss CP3 big time. And with Russ you're going to get a lot of games like this. He hasn't had a great stretch in awhile like when we first transitioned to full time small ball. Teams have figured out how to limit him even with a five-out offense.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It's all about how he responds in game 3 and going forward.

34to11, Patience and BallSoHarden like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his handles are jacked right now, but he's still getting in the lane. he just looks off, his rhythm. maybe it's still the rust from being out, maybe fakers interior defense was just that good. zebras also ignoring contact on some of those turnovers as well. this is why i think we should have brought him back earlier in the okc series, even for 15min a game.

4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Westbrook hit some dagger midranges and threes against his current team in previous seasons even if he couldn't always drive to the rim. He was streaky but still a legitimate scoring threat from anywhere on the floor. So what the f' happened?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pandemic/ quad injury.

Patience likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

In the ten games before the NBA was suspended he was averaging 30ppg on 52.4 FG%. He was actually putting up 31ppg on great efficiency since the new year, so over two months straight. It's a very small sample size due to his COVID-19 layoff and the quad strain, but he's just not the same player now. He's shooting and finishing poorly, turning the ball over a ton, and hasn't been able to get to the line.

He can be a huge performer but it's a bit frustrating watching him drag the team down. I'm waiting for him to have that breakout game but he was flat out terrible in last game. Like no redeeming qualities. He needs to snap out of it or else we won't win this series.

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The guy drives me nuts, hopefully he understands he doesn't need to do too much and this team can win this series. His narcissistic personality and ego always seems to go to new heights though. It is sad the media really tries to kiss his ass and try to ask questions, and he finds the most negative thing he possibly can. I was surprised that he and Harden were friends when the trade was made, and I was surprised that Westbrook had any friends in the league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

He knows he was terrible last game. Let's see how he responds, and how D'antoni/Harden/other teammates try to maximize his talents and minimize his liabilities going forward. There's still time for him to turn it around.

HP3 likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yup, i was upset mda left him in to finish the game. would have preferred house instead and take our chances w/ the ball in harden's and ego's hands. jvg kept repeating as well that our lineup w/ 4 shooters around harden was most effective last nite

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

MDA and Harden can figure out how to put WB in better spots as they've done it before.

dawesome and 34to11 like this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

When was the last time Harden or Westbrook had back to back bad games in the playoffs?

He'll bounce back IMO

12. EurostepHarde

EurostepHarde Member

Some people just come here to **** on our players, really sad to see these kind of fans.

13. BigTex

BigTex Member

14. riko

riko Member

This just shows mike should have subbed him off when he had 5 fouls. A lot of this was on Mike

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Don't worry....management and Harden will orchestrate a trade of Westbrook for another new piece that will then fail in next season's playoffs and be out the door after next season's playoffs. ;)

I'm willing to cut the guy a break. Yes, he can do better. He was awesome for us in the regular season. And, he's coming off of injury. Did he look like total garbage in the last game for the most part? Yes, he did. It's not like the Lakers defense didn't have something to do with that as they were smothering early. And, dumbass D'Antoni let that whatever it was go on for way too long and deserves some blame for not making a change sooner. It was damn clear Westbrook was running around like a chicken with his head cut-off on multiple consecutive possessions. The only thing missing was the blood.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think MDA wanted him fouled out.

34to11 likes this.
  17. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The video is a good analysis of Westbrooks defensive breakdowns and how he cost the Rockets win. I know, I know, the refs didn’t do us any favors but still, Westbrook was absolutely horrible. With that said, the analysis was more of an indictment of MDA than anything else. Why the hell did he leave Westbrook in the game knowing he wasn’t guarding anyone and unable to hit a 3 as a two guard while making costly turnovers throughout the game?

I look for Westbrook to play better next game IF the proper adjustments are made by MDA. JVG was right about needing him to cut to the lane instead of standing on the perimeter. Then again, Westbrook seems to be looking over his shoulder for LeBron having been swatted so many times, and the defenders are giving him 10 ft to prevent him from driving the lane. At this point the Lakers will continue to double-team Harden knowing they can leave Westbrook open. If he can’t hit the 3, then MDA should roll the dice with Rivers and McLemore. I know B Mac isn’t a great defender but he could at least spread the floor for Harden.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine if we had Cp3 haha. So sad.

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This sounds like the story of his basketball career.

20. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I dont need him to run, he just put the ball into the basket is fine