1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook: "I don't give a f*** about (my stat) line."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2017.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m more interested in his impact on the team’s efficiency, rather than his own. But even considering those numbers, I don’t know why you think it’s clearly not effective, 30% of transition leading to an assist is high. If half those field goals are 3s, that’s 75 points per 100 transition plays right there. If he attempted to score or turned it over on, say, 40% of his opportunities, that”s another 39 points. So, already at 114 points per 100. Let’s say another 20% are blown potential assists. Then 10% is left for pass outs that didn’t lead to potential assists. We can conservatively assign a .8 PPP for that. So 8 more points. Total would be 122. That’s much higher than 90 which is typical for half court offense.

I fudged a lot of those figures, but the point is transition basketball can still be efficient for the team, even if individually a player is not efficient.

I referenced CTG stats before. Some more:

Last year and this year, Westbrook’s On/Off differential for team transition frequency off live ball rebound was in 100th percentile (i.e tops in the league). On/Off for transition PPP was 62nd percentile and 76th percentile, respectively. Put it together and look at On/Off for points added per 100 possessions through transition play and he’s at 84th percentile both last year and this year.

In other words, his presence clearly has a positive impact in exploiting transition play off of live ball rebounds. I suspect the effect would be even more dramatic when he gets the rebound himself, but I don’t have those numbers yet.

#261 durvasa, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    don grahamleone likes this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

It's impossible to know how his lack of effort to contest shots hurts his team by contributing to the opponents team shooting %. Sure, we know he gets more individual rebounds (and perhaps takes away offensive rebounds from opposing teams). But how many fewer opportunities do either team have when he doesn't contest shots? We'll probably never really know.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

who here likes playing with a stat padding, rebound stealing, shot stealing, leaving his own man, chucking, selfish player anyway?

4. durvasa

You can indirectly get some idea through +/- or on/off stats.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He gonna drop those lines in the playoffs......

6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Let’s just put an asterisk on this fool anyway.

don grahamleone, ipaman and hakeem94 like this.
  7. riko

riko Member

Look at how good Oladipo is these days. Easily top 20 player and probaly the 3rd best SG in the league after Harden and Derozan.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He definitely rests too much on defense. Other players do it too but then maybe don't waste as much on rebounds

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah, like non

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your other points in this post are fair enough.

But that article is not helpful to me. When I say "data" I mean real statistical data, not just some video clips. That is what we amateur posters on a fan bbs do, a narrative stringing up some videos. The diving isn't really that deep.

It's the overall impact of that "freedom." Is it positive or negative for winning in the long run? The other article you linked to actually bring some data and it seems to be inconclusive.

11. durvasa

Some more statistical confirmation on the offensive value of a Russ defensive rebound:

justtxyank, BigMaloe and Mr. Clutch like this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

who gives a ****, we're not talking about that. we're talking about russ being a ridiculous liar. you can't play almost 800 games and never do something in your career and then you do it when you just so happen to need to do it for muh tripples doubles and say you don't give a f%^&* your about stats. he's a liar and a loser that every other "star" player hates to play with. if you want to masturbate to thunder defensive and offensive tactics go to thunder fans or create a new thread that i will ignore.

13. durvasa

Nice post.

14. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't just that he rests too much. He gives an insane amount of room to his defensive assignment. I know last year it was the most in the NBA and the most since they have had the technology to track the information. Essentially he gave his assignment an open shot almost every time his opponent would have the ball in his hands. Further, he also suffers from the same malady that Lin and Parsons did in Houston. He doesn't switch consistently, and when he does his teammates have no clue what he is going to do defensively. As a result someone ends up being open.

Can he be a good defender for short periods of time? Yes, but it is very seldom.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Now you my friend are not lying unlike Muh Tribbles Douples fake ass Russ.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. durvasa

I was being sarcastic. Feel free to unlike my post.

The background for the post was an on-going discussion in this thread on the strategic merits of having Westbrook be the primary defensive rebounder. Him lying about not caring about his stats is irrelevant to that discussion.

BigMaloe and ipaman like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The thing is...if his rebounds were truly as impactful as that statistic makes it seem, it would translate elsewhere to the team. Why are the Thunder still not an elite offensive team in that case? Why is Russ still woefully inefficient for his usage as a whole? Why is there a noticeable trend showing his teammates under-performing alongside him?

Just don't buy that stat as anything truly meaningful, as the results as a whole have shown.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What is the logical flow there?

The fast break starts quicker? The bigs can get into position faster?

What is the Offrating with WB on the floor and someone else gets a defensive rebound?

vlaurelio and BigMaloe like this.
  19. durvasa

I sincerely don’t understand the point you are making. When a player has both pluses and minuses, you account for both. You don’t only pay attention to the minuses and say the pluses don’t count because of the minuses. I’m sorry if I’m misunderstanding you, but that’s what it seems like you are arguing.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The data clearly shows the team is better when he's in and worse when he's on the bench.

Maybe that's despite the rebounding, but he's not hurting his team