1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook hate: Do people actually watch games at ESPN?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, May 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Today broussard and one other guy on ESPN suggested that OKC trades westbrook ASAP b/c he is selfish and doesn't pass the ball. and a lot of people on this board appear to think so also.

do they go by box-scores? or do they not see that KD struggles to get open consistently off the ball or that harden sometimes just refuses to man up and take it?

i have never seen this much hate towards a player that is not nationally known or widely renowned as a superstar since.... i don't know when.

and this is a guy who is putting up 26, 6, 7, 1.5 steals and just carried his team with 40 points in the last game?

he's not a perfect player and definitely has his weaknesses, but the way the media is crucifying him is ridiculous.

at this rate, i won't be surprised if OKC gets influenced by the media and trades westbrook this offseason, which would be stupid.

thoughts?

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

his game reminds me of gilbert arenas back when he was decent.

probably not a good sign

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you mentioned this before and i replied with that he is taking flack because he has played reckless and selfish at times. Yes, he is more of a scoring PG, but still has to get others involved.

too many times does he come down the court and he throws up a shot without anyone else even touching it. You can point to D-Rose, but Rose does still try to get others involved and relies on his shot when the offense stalls.

4. clippy

clippy Member

Right now the media is hyping Durant as the golden child, the foil to evil LeBron. He says the right thing, thanks the Lord etc, and just seems to be the "good guy" we want to root for. Thus, when snotty-nosed, selfish Westbrook takes some of the glory away from Durant, it's easy to paint him as the "bad guy".

The truth is somewhere in between. Westbrook does seem to be a bit chucky for a PG-- similar to Marbury & Iverson-- but he's also a phenomenal player who is difficult to defend. On the other hand, Durant is about the biggest chucker I've ever seen and never seems to get called out for it.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

and i agree with you but he's 22. however, if you watch OKC's halfcourt offense, they do not have a low post presence (the bulls do with boozer regardless of how mediocre he plays right now). if durant can't get open, then their offense is really pathetic in the halfcourt.

so that's why you see instances where WB just puts his head down and drive early in the shotclock w/o looking for his teammates is b/c he knows durant has been struggling to get open and he believes the best chance is to attack early before memphis' halfcourt defense sets up.

but there is zero rationale for the hate that he is getting right now from all angles. it's baffling to me really.

personally, if you put derrick rose on the thunder, he would be taking the same # of shots right now if not more even with durant on his team. if durant struggles to get open, drose would go in scoring mode.

i don't think durant is a chucker. his role is to score on OKC and that's it. and he scores and does it very efficiently. WB bears more of the offensive burden than he does if you watch the game in terms of playmaking/creating/and scoring.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i agree they do have limited scoring options and he shouldnt take too much flack for pressing the scoring issue, but again, when he comes down with the ball and jacks up a shot with no one else touching it, it just isnt good basketball and flat out looks bad.

Now, maybe some of that is lack of quality at offensive gameplanning. Maybe that's what the coach wants, i dont know...but at any rate, for the thunder to take it to the next level, westbrook will have to get people involved.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Hollinger had a good reply to this in his chat. "The Westbrook stuff stems from two factors. 1) People aren't watching off the ball and seeing what a hard time Durant has getting open, and 2) People are seeing where Russ is at rather than where he was and where he's going. If you think he makes bad decisions now, you should have seen him two years ago. He's actually made a ton of progress, and he's 22 and still getting better."

1 person likes this.
  8. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

James Hardin is the best distributor and play-maker on that team outside of Durant.

If the Rockets could figure out a way to make the salaries work, I would love a Hardin & Ibaka for Martin & Scola type deal to go down.

And this is coming from a HUGE Kevin Martin fan.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's not the best player on his team.

He's not the NBA's best scorer.

He's not the best finisher on his team.

That's Kevin Durant. Now pass him the ****ing ball.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Battier is all over Durant off the ball, but Westbrook is, and has been getting exposed as a below average halfcourt point guard. Steve Francis-esque.

He needs to adapt better or his career will be over the second he loses some athleticism. I've always called Westbrook a football player playing basketball, he is very special, but he's clearly not on Rose's level.

If they do advance, Westbrook will average 28+ against the Mavericks and have Chandler in foul trouble every game. People will be back on the bandwagon. But the guy just doesn't make things happen in the halfcourt. Brooks might be to blame.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I watch games, they do too (at least a couple I think)

The growing concern is that Westbrook is starting to play/act like he thinks he is/should be as big a star as KD. That he wants more recognition and to be considered in the same room as Paul, Rose, and Williams. In other words, not sacrificing his game for the team, but vice versa.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

so... you want 2 young players on rookie contracts for 2 older players with rather large contracts. :rolleyes:

13. Crudder

Crudder Member

He definitely makes bad decisions at times but I think most of the hate stems from the fact that no one actually expects him to do it and has placed that expectation on Durant.

If Durant just carried his team to a win with 40 points, everyone would be praising him because that's the expectations placed on him, not Westbrook. With that said, he still needs to work on his decision-making in-game although I have no problem with him trying to take games over if he has the skill to do so.

14. roksoer

roksoer Member

are you just going by boxscores?

15. blackistan

blackistan Member

I don't think you watch his games because at times he def ballhogs

16. jonjon

Yep, if there was/is a way to make it work I would love for that to happen.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If the Rockets win the lottery and used that pick and the new CBA allowed trades that didn't match to still work, that trade still wouldn't happen.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Do me a favor, when you watch the game tonight, pay attention to how many times he runs the full court, dribbles and takes it upon himself without letting others touch the ball. His passes very often are bailouts because the driving lane is closed or shot blocker in sight. We had a guy called Steve Francis, hello. When that athleticism is gone, his ceiling will be AI in Turkey.

19. jonjon

Maybe so, but it wouldn't be because the Thunder turned down the offer:

Westbook
    Martin
    Durant
    Scola
    Perkins

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He reminds me a lot of Steve Francis.

DD