1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're young and dumb - Patience Please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, Jan 29, 2003.

1. man532

man532 Member

ALL of us are frustated with the play of our Rockets. I can truly attribute this to age and a lack of understanding of what it takes to win each night in the NBA.

Steve doesn't understand that the Rockets win more games when he scores less than 20 pots and focuses on getting more assist, rebounds, and playing better D.

Cuttino couldn't pass his way out of a wet paper bag. Cat, just shoot the ball and worry about it later.

MoTaylor/Eddie Griffin - doesn't equal 1 power forward

Yao - Will ge great when he introduces himself to the weight room.

Posey - I appreciate his hustle and defensive attitude. If he could transfer this to the rest of the squad.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We have been patient all season. Rudy hasn't taken over as a coach and set this team straight. He's like Campo of the Cowboys. Let's the players around as they please with no leadership on this team. Forget this. What a laughing stock!

3. man532

man532 Member

Rudy is great for an older team, however, the younger players take advantage of his niceness and they don't respond to him. That's main reason Sydney Lowe was replaced with the disciplinary Hubie Brown.

We need disciplined coach who can implement a defensive attitude in the Rockets.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I've defended Rudy, but you can blame this loss on Rudy, plain and simple. I can take losing, but this team was falling apart in the 3rd quarter and Rudy didn't adjust once! I mean I'm not a coach, but I'll play one right now, we're playing a offensive minded team with a billion weapons and a soft inside game and they're going bonkers, what do you do? Do you:

A.) Get into a 3pt shooting contest with them

B.) Slow the game down and pound the ball inside, exploiting their biggest weakness while reducing the number of possessions they get?

C.) Just run and freaking gun up and down the floor and get run out of your own building.

If you picked A or C, then you and along with Rudy are secret agents for the Mavs and have done a great job systematically destroying the Rockets. Or you're on drugs, one of the 2.

5. carayip

carayip Member

Rudy can't control these guys. Rudy needs to coach team with an on-court leader. We don't have one in our team. Steve is a leader off the court (practice early, welcome Yao) I can give him that. But he's not an on-court leader. He's immature. He can't control the pace of a game. He makes terrible decisions.

6. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Move Mobley and you would probably be amazed how quickly our offense falls in sync. Not that Mobley is a horrible player, not by any stretch of the imagination -- he's phenomenal -- but as Will -- I think -- outlined before the seaon, he's a vestigal player, and would probably be better off somewhere else.

I like the idea of Pike and Brand or Pike and Odom for Mobes and Griffin. Dreamcasting on my part and not terribly original dreamcasting at that.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Screw patience. Trade our #$%! to Satan right now.

8. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

I want to give this team til next year to grow. Remember the times Rockets beat the Mavs all the time? (Some time ago but i remember it)
    Then Nowitzki came, took a year... we still won that year. Then comes Cuban and his huge wallet. The year after that was our fall if I remember right. Give time and it'll come, and not well something must be done. Yao will bring about our team what took both Cuban and Nowiztki did to Dallas.
    If not, well I'll discuss this in-season next year. My goal this year is still Playoffs, if we get in I'm happy.

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Screw Patience. Trade our Crap players to Satan right now.

You know Satan... Donald Sterling? Let them rot in Clipper hell.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This goes beyond one player. You could trade Mobley and Francis and it doesn't change the fact that the substitution rotations have been horrible for whatever reason, and Yao Ming is getting frozen out in crucial situations. I'm not going to blame one player, I'm going to blame everybody other then Ming. Ming should be getting the ball NOBODY is getting the guy the ball!

11. spence99

spence99 Member

Mobley needs to learn he is NOT an all-star. If Finley didn't make it, then there is no way Mobley is because Finley is much better than Mobley.

12. trugoy

trugoy Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&threadid=50631

symptoms are always more dramatic than the cause, i believe it is much easier to address the rockets problems than to trade everyone on the roster. What you need is to give Rudy a veteran alternative at the problem positions PF and PG. right now rudy has moochie backing up SF, and eddie and MO taylor at PF.

To help rudy out, rockets need to sign VETERAN BACKUPS at those problem positions, people who rudy can trust to do a good job when he decides to make a statement and sit SF, EG, MO, Moochie, cat, etc. Right now, he cannot do this because he doesn't have the VETERAN BACKUPS.

13. cmellon

cmellon Member

Young?? No.
    Dumb?? Yes.

Here are Rocket's problems:

1. Yao hit a Rookie Wall
    Fortunately he appears to overcome that in the last three
    games. This may relate more to his mental than physical
    fatigueness.

2. Steve and Mobley hasn't overcomed the Veteran Wall.
    Veteran Wall is attitude to win the game, not improving your
    stats. To trust your team mates, to make your team mates
    better, to set aside your ego, to pass the ball, etc.

3. Rudy T hit Coaching Wall.
    He can't devise a new offensive play. He is being outcoached
    by many other coaches. Does he really have a control on the
    team?

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

WHY did steve shoot more than ANYONE? He shot 15% for the game! 15%!

What kind of F@$%in moron takes more shots than anyone on the team when he is shooting 15% from the field?!?!?

He's suppose to be the 'brains' of the team and control the tempo, but he has no control of himself! Anyone that thinks he will lead us to a championship is delusional and needs to get off his jock! Realize that streetball is NOT winning basketball!!!!! If you want streetball, then get yourself some and1 tapes and masterbate all night to them...if you want winning basketball then trade steve francis and get someone who uses his brain instead of his emotions to play the game.

While you're at it, get a coach thats not afraid to tell his players to STOP SHOOTING and pass the ball to the player with the 78 percent field goal percentage!!!!!!! I swear these 3 backcourt morons don't give a damn about playing an intelligent game...wake up steve, cat, and mooch! It ain't high school anymore! Pass it to the freakin big man because you guys can't shoot or defend worth S#%T!!!!!!!

15. winwook

winwook Member

Watching the Rockets play is an exercise in frustration. I find myself screaming at the television. Yao was 6-6 in the first half, yet he only got three more shots the rest of the game. In fact, among all the starters, Yao took the fewest shots but still had the most points. In the first quarter, they fed Yao the ball in the post, but after that, they started running their high pick and roll offense. This might not be so bad, except their pick and roll is so ******* predictable because you know Francis won't pass the ball. He's like Kobe Bryant when he was a rookie (that's not a compliment). I can't understand how Rudy doesn't call a timeout to scream at his players. Even Kobe Bryant gets a tongue lashing from Phil Jackson occasionally.

If they didn't have so much talent, it wouldn't be so frustrating. The first half, they played the way they should every night. The second half, they flushed it all down the toilet. Whenever Francis and Mobley receive a pass on the perimeter they actually sit there for a moment so their defender can square up and get close to them before they make a move, instead of immediately shooting or breaking to the basket. They're more interested in showing up their defender than getting the best opportunity to score. Are we supposed to be impressed everytime they dribble between their legs?

It's just plain embarassing. There needs to be a change. They need a coach with the balls who's willing to scream at them and tell them they're playing like idiots.

16. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

17. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

trugoy -

We had a veteran PF that Rudy could count on: Kenny Thomas!!!

He was FAR AND AWAY, the MOST CONSISTENT player we had, and what did we do?

We traded him for someone who cannot hit a 10 ft jumpshot with ANY regularity!!! :mad: :mad:

I don't care how good your defense is, if you can't shoot, then you are NOT an NBA starter!!!!

Hawk is just as good defensively and actually has a better shot than Posey, but now he's buried on the bench because Rudy and CD have to at least act like we made a good trade.

This team stinks from top to bottom right now!!!

We need to go to the Wizard of Oz...Oh, please give Rudy a brain, and Mo T some courage, and Eddie a heart, and Cuttino some judgement, and Stevie some selflessness...and, and, and...

Oh, just forget it, and take me back to the field of poppies, poppies, poppies!!!

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

it's funny cos it true!

Kenny Thomas was consistent but he wasn't a veteran in the true sense of the word, a VETERAN is someone like Popeye Jones, or Charles Oakley, or Mark Jackson, or GLEN RICE, someone who could fill in for you and you know what you will get, someone who does not threathen the precocious young talent on the team because they are in their dwindling years and not a threat to steal minutes in the long term. They are someone who you could put in to send a message to JP, SF, CM, EG, that playing time is earnt not given. The rockets need those type of VETERANS.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

trugoy: To help rudy out, rockets need to sign VETERAN BACKUPS at those problem positions, people who rudy can trust to do a good job when he decides to make a statement and sit SF, EG, MO, Moochie, cat, etc. Right now, he cannot do this because he doesn't have the VETERAN BACKUPS

I agree. We especially need one at point guard to come in and clean the crap up when Steve is out of control. It would be a great lesson for him to sit there and watch someone with less physical talent probably a good 10 years older calm things down and run the show when he was letting the game get away.

The question is who? At pg we need a Mark Jackson, Avery Johnson, oldie but goodie.

20. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Rockets are young but are getting older. They are also dumb and getting dumber. There really has been no progress this year from last year. The only differnence is that Steve is healthy and we have a center but in terms of player development and maturity, there has been no improvement. Thanks Rudy for another job well done.