1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we're "too good"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ibm, Nov 2, 2015.

1. ibm

ibm Member

i've seen sentiments from a number of cf's that this rockets team is "too good", meaning too talented, to miss the playoffs, or not repeat what they did last yr. or even achieve better results.

while it's too early to judge w/ any certainty, and it's entirely possible that they turn things around in some fashion during the season, i want to take another look at the talent level. i often feel many fans (incl. some in the local media) have over-estimated the talent this team currently has.

just look at the core/top 2 players. we have harden and dwight.
    now look at our western conf. opponents: spurs, okc, gsw, clips, etc.
    look at cleveland. since if we shoot for a title, the way it is that's most likely the team we'll have to beat.

do we really have any edge?

from there and go down the list, coaching staff included, do we have any edge?

my answer is no.

and we're talking about talent level alone in this thread. other qualities such as mental toughness, are harder to determine and evaluate, so i'd leave it out in here.

generally i am not a pessimist on things. but i just cant find myself enough reasons to think that this team as it is currently constructed has enough title-contending potentials just from the talent level alone.

if anyone feels differently (and i know there're plenty out there), please give me some reasons to think and believe otherwise. seriously.

2. malakas

malakas Member

??? Talented to make the playoffs? That's what you are asking? Do you want me to start comparing this team to Dallas and the Suns-teams that are aiming for the 8th seed?

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think our talent level is right up there with the elite teams in the league.

Harden is capable of being a top 5 player though he's not playing like it. In the play offs Dwight is a huge presence in the middle. Dmo when healthy is huge for us on both ends. Ty Lawson is a very good pg talent wise as well. Then you have Ariza who any team would take as their 5th or 4th best starter.

I think other teams 1) have better coaching and/or more continuity 2) have their stars playing like stars.

I could t disagree more that we aren't as talented though. This team has plenty of talent. If we had a better coach I think that would be evident.

4. ibm

ibm Member

talent level to contend for a title, not just to make the playoffs.

but, we sure look like a lottery team as of now. that means there is a real possibility they miss the postseason altogether - if they dont turn things around. and nothing guarantees that they will.

what was the record of the #9 team in the west last yr.? i forgot, really. i am going now, to look it up.

5. ibm

ibm Member

how's other teams have more continuity? havent the rockets kept virtually everyone from last yr.?

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we're so daam good that we suck ass