1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're seeing the end of Moreyball.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fansince80, Nov 20, 2015.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

we are always amongst the leaders in points in the paint. 3s, free throws and paint points is the philosophy.

2. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

its a terrible idea but it would be entertaining if les told morey he had to trade everyone by the deadline and if the haul wasnt good enough then hed be gone too.

3. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Couldn't agree more, what bunch of 8th grade p*****s

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This would be true if this were April but it's November.

5. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

most people predict the future by looking at now and just before now and then extending linearly. it makes things very exciting for them

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Hmmm. Team record improved every year. Has 2 franchise level players. Landed in the WCF last year with almost the same squad. Lose 8 games the following year the assertion is the world has ended, moreyball over and blow up the team.. Wtf???. Fickle fans blow me away.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

If this team turns it around and maybe contend in the playoffs and give it a good effort. I don't want any of you whiny b****es back on the Morey bandwagon.

8. RyanB

RyanB Member

the problem is NOT MOREY BALL but the PERSONNEL to make it work

we do not have excellent shooters
    we didn't have a real coach

but yes if things continue to fall like this, Les will blow it up, and Morey for sure is on the hot seat !

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. So much this.

This goes for the team as a whole and Harden by himself.

We have seen nothing but consistent improvement over the 3 years since we got Harden by not only himself but the team as a whole.

Now we are not even 25% in to what even I will admit is looking to be a terrible season, but that's all it takes for a lot of people to complete dismiss the past 3 years and want to blow the whole thing up. Makes no sense. But knee jerkers gonna knee jerk.

Same people who predicted we wouldn't win a single playoff series with "stupid" moreyball are running in here to say they told you so now that the early start of 1 season looks bleak.

10. ibm

ibm Member

what exactly is "moreyball"? somebody enlighten me, please?

(a serious question)

11. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I'm with you both. The pussification of Rockets fans continues. Maybe it's a generational thing? No offense millennials, but you're mentally weak.

12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

This. D-Mo was a huge part of our success last year. We will right ship when he gets back.

The team needs to start playing inside out, but honestly I am so disappointed that Dwight Howard has not improved his post game in the 3 years he has been here. I don't understand why he can't dominate the way he did in the Portland series each and every night.

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

High volume of 3s or layups. You put players where they score best by using %. For example, Corey Brewer used to be an outstanding 3 point shooter for the corner 3, so you put him in a position to shoot at that spot when he gets the ball on offense.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Emphasize scoring points in the paint, from the free throw line and from 3.

Something just about every smart team tries to do.

Other teams go about getting those types of shots in different ways, but "moreyball" isn't a type of offense, its an offensive philosophy. I can guarantee you Morey wasn't telling McHale how to get those types of shots, just that those are the types of shots we want. Paint, free throws and threes.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This. Focus on 3s and layups. Stack roster with guys who can't make 3s or finish at the rim. Solid plan.

16. ibm

ibm Member

then why we're seeing the end of it? :confused:

its one thing to have a great idea, its another to make it happen. just go to steve jobs' grave and ask him.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

League has caught up with the scheme. Sad part was that Maury didn't equip himself with the right players to run it.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

the chicken or the egg dilemma.

lawson and brewer are fast break guys and they have no defense to fall back on when their offense is off. without those fast break points they can't kick start their attack game but then to create fast break opportunities they need defense from the team which is beyond putrid this season.

the rockets are broken right now. josh smith was the glue guy who made it click last season. they need to find another glue guy fast in the meantime just to compete.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Murray did a lot of good things, the one thing that analytics lack is chemistry

I am not surprised his time is ticking away. We all have seen this for a long time and I think its clear that these next two years are crucial of the total outcome of what Murray has built.

My patience is also getting shorter. I am willing to have this year play out and judge him by the end of the season

20. ibm

ibm Member

i dont know if i was ever completely sold on moreyball. but there's one thing i firmly believe: in sports, there's more than one way to win.

you either fit your philosophy with a "right" roster, or you come up with ideas/strategies that fit whom you have on the team.