1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wendy Davis tells Democrats she is in for 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 26, 2013.

1. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Wendy Davis has no chance of winning -- as in a 0.0% chance. She will go back to being a nobody soon enough. Running her in a statewide race is a sign of pure desperate by the Democrats. It's basically taking the bet that voters won't do any homework at all to find out that she is a proven liar and completely unaccomplished and unqualified for the position. The Democrats are hoping they can skate by with the girl power facade, but it will fall soon enough. Again, this is all a waste of time, as she has zero chance.

I personally detest her, as she represents the worst in the late term abortion supporters. When you snuff out a heartbeat of a baby that has developed over 5 months, you are lower than low. Are you telling me that a woman can't live with a child inside of her for 4 more months to save the baby's life, and that she'd rather snuff it out, just because it's more convenient? All the while, we have lines of people hoping to adopt. What a disgrace. But very representative of the liberals' "no accountability" approach to life.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Apparently the one who touched a nerve was me. Most of the other comments were surprised how vituperative RM95's response was when I merely pointed out that Wendy was apparently going for a reconstructed history in the same vein as Elizabeth Warren's Native American "heritage."

Both of you seem to believe that the truth won't make you free but rather the truth will make you a bigot.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no particular interest in Texas politics, but I am enjoying a bit of douchenfreude watching Wendy Davis' campaign, and her supporters' defense of her, and Trailergate.

--
    Horrors for Wendy Davis campaign: Candidate’s embellishments upgraded to ‘gate’ (as in scandal) status
    By Rodger Jones/Editorial Writer

The most interesting development today in the uproar over Wendy Davis’ life story was Bud Kennedy’s column in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. For two reasons:

1) The online head that, perhaps as a satirical touch, gave “gate” status to her campaign’s image-making efforts (as in Watergate, Bridge-gate, etc.) Will “Trailergate” stick? Well, it’s hard to pull off a label that’s so useful to the opposition.

2) A quote from a one-time Fort Worth City Council colleague of Davis’ who alleges a gender-driven double standard. Excerpt from the column, quoting former FW City Council member Becky Haskin:

“If this involved a man running for office, none of this would ever come up,” she said.
    “It’s so sad. Every time I ran, somebody said I needed to be home with my kids. Nobody ever talks about men being responsible parents.”

That would be a powerful argument if it were material, or true. Just because it’s a woman charging a double standard in this matter doesn’t make it so.

The image that the Davis people are putting out was exemplified by her willingness to play along with the Today show’s Maria Shriver under the theme #DoingItAll. Shriver went to Fort Worth and did a fawning piece on Davis’ life and career as an example of a woman who worked hard and overcame odds.

At one point the two of them stood outside the chain link fence around a trailer park where Davis once lived. She called it a “homecoming of sorts.” Wayne Slater’s story on Sunday clarified that Davis lived there for a few months before leaving to move in with her mother.

Shriver’s DoingItAll theme plays into the image Davis wants to mold — that she was a young mother AND a successful college student AND a Harvard law school student and graduate — all at the same time. They want you to think it was the domestic career and domestic juggling act of the century. Yet the chronology doesn’t cooperate, since she left her kids in Fort Worth with husband No. 2 and headed to Boston.

I’m not judging that, per se. Couples make their arrangements. If Davis hadn’t tried to put a different face on it, she wouldn’t have run into the buzzsaw she did over the weekend.

As for the double standard, there may be people who think Davis abandoned the kids in pursuit of career, and maybe some of those people wouldn’t be prone to criticize absent dads. That’s beside the point.

If a man campaigned on something like “family values” or a similar theme, and if he had two failed marriages in his past, and if he left two small kids with a spouse for an extended time a couple thousand miles away, and if he dumped that spouse later on, he would run into the same buzzsaw that Davis hit this week.

The public sees when a candidate is trying to have it both ways. And that has nothing to do with a man-woman double standard.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-mzVD3Cqrlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Texas GOP is scared.

5. basso

Supporting Member

where's the missing 55 million?

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Of course, you continue to ignore the reasons for the insults and cussing. They are the direct result of your intellectual dishonesty and inability to engage in reasoned debate and discussion.

You haven't used "fact, logic, and reason" ever, that I have seen. When you begin doing so, I will be thrilled to stop insulting you.

7. GladiatoRowdy

If someone makes an objectively stupid statement, should we refrain from calling it stupid because people like you and liltexxy are too thin skinned to take it?

8. GladiatoRowdy

Where, exactly, has Davis advocated for late term abortions? Please provide a quote, not the musings of a pundit.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like the musings of the pulpit, not a pundit

10. rudan

rudan Member

Scared of what? Some fringe candidate that gets most of her support from out of state and whos whole image is a complete lie? Yeah, they must be scared :eek:

11. rudan

rudan Member

[​IMG]

ITs the shoes YO :p

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just saw this. similar to a post I made in the 85 have all the money thread.
    His posts do off like output from a random conservative/libertarian phrase generator.

13. mc mark

OH M GEE!!!

She was separated at 19, not divorced and her husband looked after the kids and helped her through law school! THE SHAME!!!!

Anyone think that if a man had done this we'd see these attacks on their character?

Yeah, you scared.

14. basso

Supporting Member

where are the missing 55 Million?

15. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Wait that was Wendy's fault? She opposes your view so might as well peg all abortions on here, great strategy. How many of those were late term?

16. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Wow, it is amazing how scared the Texas GOP is of Ms. Davis with these penny-ante attacks about her life narrative.

She's really struck a nerve.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am hoping the GOP continues to try to trash Davis in this election. She was long odds anyway, and the piling on will only help other candidates that may be beable to leverage the hate (... you think Hillary won't be able to leverage this? :) ).

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Honestly, I too am blown away (from afar) at the vehemence (and the vacuity) of their attacks so far. Weird -- I mean weird if she's really such a longshot.

19. mc mark

Raising $12 million dollars will do that.

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I might as well lie back and enjoy this thread.