1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wendy Corona.. Fired

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ron from the G, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6196907.html

[​IMG]

Wendy Corona has been laid off at KPRC (Channel 2), where she has worked as an anchor since April 2006, as the station moves to tighten its budget.

Skip Valet, Channel 2’s news director, said Corona’s departure “was an economic decision.” He said Corona’s position on the payroll will not be filled, but Rachel McNeill and Dominique Sachse will work alongside anchor Jerome Gray on the station’s 4 and 6 p.m. newscasts until a permanent co-anchor is named.

“We know that we are facing very difficult economic times, and we have to find efficiencies where we can,” Valet said. “We’re looking at a lot of ways to do that. Unfortunately, in this case it involved a person.”

Corona came to Houston from WPLG in Miami, which, like Channel 2, is owned by Post-Newsweek. She also worked for stations in California and Arizona.

Corona could not be reached for comment Tuesday. Valet said her position was the only one eliminated. Corona’s departure comes on the heels of morning anchor Lauren Freeman’s recent maternity leave. Valet said Freeman is expected back on the job as early as next month.
    Classic Cool on 650 AM

Veteran Houston bandleader and radio voice Ronnie Renfrow is back on the air with his Classic Cool Radio program, which airs from 4 p.m. to signoff weekdays on KIKK (650 AM).

The show’s format includes a mix of jazz and pop standards from the likes of Frank Sinatra, Michael Bublé, Ella Fitzgerald, Diana Krall and B.B. King, among others.

“There’s a huge listener base that hasn’t been served until now,” Renfrow said. “Singers like Krall and Bublé and even Sinatra are selling millions, but you can’t turn on the radio and hear them. In a city like this, it’s crazy not to have a place where you can hear this music.”

In a reference to the city’s crowded sports radio landscape, he said, “This is a unique format, and there aren’t four stations doing it. People seem to be glad that there’s something on the air that isn’t sports, politics or people yelling and screaming.”

The show premiered Monday with Renfrow and Tom Richards as hosts on the daytime-only CBS Radio station. Renfrow said he is in the process of building a sales staff to promote the program and has established a Web site at www.classiccool.com to promote the show and live music performances in Houston.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

what the f!

ADAM! DO SOMETHING.

WTF MAN.

3. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Wow, that's a bummer. Is the guy in the Woody costume her husband? That's one lucky guy if he is. :cool:

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Almost all local stations are on hiring freezes and many have been making cuts like these for months. It seems as soon as the economy started going south, the first thing that businesses cut was advertising.

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

As long as they keep that new asian chick in the mornings...its all good.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Damn, she looked good to me doing the news on there.

7. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Christo De Jesus she looks good. Are those nips i see poking through a thick v-neck? :eek:

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I sure hope not. They're on top and cross eyed if so.

9. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

just dont cut jennifer reyna ..... *purrrr*

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Your Latina err Education Station.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

She can come work at my station, if you know what I mean. I've got a camera and everything.

12. inler

inler Contributing Member

danny vara got axed at 610 too. wendy is hot and danny was kinda funny. all this people getting fired business is lame.

13. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

That sux...

Couldn't they fine Courtney Zavala instead? :confused: :( :mad:

14. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

correction ^^^^fire^^^^

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Danny Vera didn't really stick out in the sea of radio personalities, so it made sense.

Wendy, to me, didn't really stick out either, despite that nice pic above.

Too bad for them but I'm sure they will find something else, if not here then another city.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What?

He got the ax? Damnit. He didn't suck. I guess that is why Matt Jackson did the fan feedback today?

Damn this economy.

17. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I've always wanted a Lucy Noland, Dominique Sachse, and Lisa Foronda news desk at 10 o' clock news. Houston ratings gold.

18. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

She goes to my restaurant like once a month...

Very sweet, and yes, she does look better in person!

Wonder If I'll be seeing her again... :(

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

She has no job now.

you better hook her up.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, when did Danny get the ax. He was just on last week right? I notice Adam is on in the monring this week but that must be because of vacations, and rockets and the Fiesta bowl. Who's going to be his partner now?