1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Wemby’s Reaction To Rockets Not Getting 1st Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RasaqBoi, May 17, 2023.

1. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

i can't remember giannis take giannis was a project to be a long pg but he turnedto be something else after that body transformation. zion had injury history and this kid has also but his body seems durable than chet's

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah the more you look at this from a business and money standpoint the more it makes sense considering the NBA’s activities to extend its influence and operations in France and Europe, which have been going on couple decades since Stern was Commish. Programs like Basketball without Borders, playing regular season games in London and Paris, teaming up with FIBA for development programs in Europe, and talks of an NBA Euro league or mid season tournament are evidence of the league’s intentions.

Europeans are spending money on the sport with an increase in League Pass subscriptions and viewership of televised games in Europe due to huge TV deals with BBC etc. Victor’s celebrity would thrust the NBA further into the consciousness of French and Europeans and popularize the sport even more boosting these current and future initiatives. The Olympics in 24 in Paris is around the corner and the NBA already has plans to play in Paris again that year. It’s all about the benjamins much like with Yao who helped the NBA secure the Chinese market. It has always been about the Benjamins.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-france-plan-elevate-basketball-france-africa

https://m.basketnews.com/news-17153...ue-conflict-and-investment-opportunities.html

#262 Stephen_A, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
    clos4life and pippendagimp like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Now I even more want us to trade up and get Scoot so he can school Wemby in the WCF just like Hakeem did to Robinson in '95, and just like Scoot already did in this exhibition game they played last year:

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think it's just a body type thing. The taller you are the more prone you are to injury and if you are tall and have NO bulk...that's no good.

Also, if you are big like Zion is and also pretty tall (compared to the average person) you are putting a lot of stress on your body running and jumping around like that. Zion been needed to lose weight years ago. Dude is constantly near 300lbs at 6'6. In comparison Yao was 311, Embiid/Jokic 280, dude is the height of a big SG and weighing in like some giant center.

Wemby definitely has that concerning body type, this is not just cope, it's the biggest red flag on him...he's 7'2 and built like a stick. It's not as bad as Chet, Chet not even 200 lbs but its still a little worrying.

dobro1229 likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

If I were to speculate, I'd guess he will be heavily load managed, will never average over 29 minutes a game in the regular season nor play over 70 games, and will have a speckled injury history similar to AD.

There's a chance he'll be an injury bust sooner or later, but you know the Spurs and his own team of managers/assistants will move heaven and earth to keep the cash cow healthy and productive. So I'm not going to bet on it. (I won't wish injury on him either--merely ignominious defeat, preferably at the hands of the Houston Rockets.)

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

he grew up a Spurs fan who cars

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Agree to disagree. I don’t know any French people. But I didn’t know that French people were spurs fans after Parker’s retirement. I think they have that French Dennis Rodman guy but still never got the impression that France was pulling for Spurs. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they have any kind of established fan base. Just like the Rockets didn’t have an established tan base in China pre-Yao. French people would have started following whatever team wemby went to.

Not claiming this random site is gospel, but according to this poll, GSW is France’s favorite team. I’m sure there are old Spurs fans who followed when Parker was killing it. But those days are long over and the French/wemby fans would follow him wherever he went.

all that said, I simply disagree that the league had anything to do with how the balls fell, or that the league benefits from wemby going to the spurs (any more than if he went to virtually any other team).
    btw when I referred to “random site” I realize I forgot to include the link to the “random site.” Haha
    https://i80sportsblog.com/the-most-popular-nba-teams-in-europe/

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How is that schooling when both have had similar numbers.....

Yung-T likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scoot's team ended up winning the big game :D

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Yea I think you guys are misreading this.

He doesnt like Houston because of the lifestyle and pace. He liked SA the most because his mentors are there and its a laid back city. He isnt a guy who loves to party, spotlight etc...he wants to be in the back, enjoy his hobbies and play basketball...

It doesnt have to do anything with the owner or what Houston has been going thru last 3 years...

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

the lottery system is stupid… it actually just forces teams to tank longer. If you tank and get a franchise player then you start trying to win.

we’ve purposefully tanked 3 years straight because we haven’t got one and only reason we aren’t still tanking is because we don’t have our own picks…

persian hoopa, Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At some point there will be more reforms, maybe even a 2nd NBA league where the bad teams get relegated to.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And there’s a reason why NBA teams love to fill out their roster with guys who measure in where Amen Thompson is. Look at the durability of guys who have more of the Lebron build. Not only can you actually exercise at the rate that a 19 year old should be expected to, but on the court having versatility is key in the game. I’m not saying I’d rather have Amen Thompson than Wemby… that’s crazy… but Rockets fans shouldn’t feel that bad about the field of talent we have/will have based on the raw abilities they have with the likely highly durable and versatility body types for the NBA.

JayGoogle likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get your point. But having LeBron's body type without the skills still doesn't get you anywhere. I am pretty skeptical about players who can't shoot. This is not the '90s.

I'm not saying Amen can't learn to shoot well. It's just there are too many instances where people say, "You can't teach athleticism but you can teach shooting" and end up having a unskilled athletic guy.

This is why I am still worried that Jalen Green might end up to be an inefficient chucker if his shooting does not improve to an elite level.

Drift Monkey, Yung-T and dobro1229 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This debate is useless.

Of couse you take the athletic guy a lot of times but an athletic guy with skills that is what we are looking for....

and I do think Giannis has good skills for his size. Footwork and when to make the spin move.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Giannis has skills. His haters just don't want to admit it. Giannis is kind of a smaller version of Shaq. Shaq had skills even though he couldn't shoot outside of 3 ft. But those are rare exceptions.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

True. I will say about shooting though that shooting is alot like pitching in the pros. There's a mental aspect of it too where I do think the attributes and early stats aspect of it get a bit overvalued in the draft process. Think of how many high prospect MLB pitchers who can throw 98, and have both a curve & a changeup, but then get rocked their rookie season, and end up at triple A for 3 years.

Then look at Jabari last year. Almost perfect mechanics. Good stats in College. Un-blockable due to his length... but now it's pretty evident that he might be better suited in the paint with more limited touches beyond the arc because for whatever reason, he's just not shooting well.

Of course you'd rather draft guys that have what Jabari had coming in the draft, and you should value it. I just wonder if the NBA over values it a bit because they just don't know if they are going to be professional shooters or not. Some guards like Steph or Ray Allen.... yeah you could see it at the college level. They were shooters. Harder to see that at 19 years old.

Easy likes this.
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

100% willing trade green and #4 for scoot. The kid is going to have an insane impact!

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not blockable due to height.

Well, the Wembanyamas are coming for Bari.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Curious.

Do the Metropolitans have any NBA caliber guys not named Victor but the Ignite have several NBA worthy dudes among them?

If a 19 year old could reap all awards in the French league, what does it say about the older players there....

#280 daywalker02, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023