1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wemby’s Reaction To Rockets Not Getting 1st Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RasaqBoi, May 17, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Rockets' owner is a sociopath-level imbecile, however...

Reported

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Ok I watched a fourth time. I stand corrected. Noticed the fist pump this time

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Do y'all blame him? The Spurs although not a highly marketable city is Spurs town. The franchise and their staff/players are focused no matter who is on their roster. They have a championship proven coach. They have proven to bring out the best in their players and continue to win despite who is on their team.
    What have the Rockets done since 1995? Our owner reeks of settling for mediocrity. The organization is so desperate for a franchise saving/altering player, they handed the keys over to a 19-20 yr old head case with disciplinary issues. Our coach is also extremely unproven and is also just returning after a year of dealing with a scandal. Brooklyn didn't even pick him up when they had the chance. Unless the options are going to Charlotte or Minnesota or even Washington, this organization has yet to prove to be a great landing spot.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Btw Wemby does not like Parker. He intentionally chose NOT to play for the team Parker owns. Wemby did support the Spurs growing up but it's not clear to me if that was his favorite NBA team.

Wemby plays for the team where Boris Diaw is President.

A lot of Wemby's choices are made by his mom, he's a mama's boy. I don't think she liked Parker (my hunch is because of infidelity past) and I would bet she didn't like the idea of Harden, Udoka and strip clubs in Houston.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Real reason one prayed for Vic.

6. riko

riko Member

7 foot 5 at 19 . It’s insane .only concern is his body might breakdown and have a short prime

7. kpdark

kpdark Member

Real reason Tilman prayed for Vic.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nah it’s about dollars lol. It’s about the connections to Parker and his relationship with the fanbase there. We are talking endorsement opportunities in France and greater visibility building upon what Parker and Diaw started. Not to mention he will be the centerpiece and face of Western European Basketball as the NBA has pushed to open this market with TV deals with the UK and France and licensing deals. It’s about building and growing the Victor Wemb brand. There is much money to be made from international revenue as the NBA continues to its efforts to market the NBA globally. This is good for the NBA, good for the Spurs, French and Euro market and him personally. Everyone eats.

#188 Stephen_A, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
  9. JHarden27

JHarden27 Member

Look I'm not mad at Wemby, he is a spur fan growing up and still is, I mean it was the same for Lebron and he is a kid.

I'm way more upset at the NBA, the "lottery" system is way more impactful to a franchise. I wish they would go back rankings draft position by record, the rockets would have the first pick in at least one draft and get a franchise altering player. The scouting has gotten so good whoever is in the first 2 or 3 picks is typically a franchise player.

Unfortunately for the rockets they didn't and have been a bad franchise for 4 years. I'm not upset at the rockets they are working with the hand they were dealt. The Rockets are 3-4 years away, but Wemby or maybe scoot altered that.

However, the league doesn't want to take a chance on destroying the most prized stars career, so he went to Spurs and he wanted to go there and the NBA made it happen.

I will take a break from the NBA for a little while after this very disappointing draft where I thought we had a chance that was never there

PeterKingX likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can’t reward teams for tanking IMHO.

I would be for a designated amount of veterans. Each team has to start up to 2 veterans who are not minimum GLeaguers.

If they still end up with the worst record, so be it.

Kevooooo likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It’s about dollars. The league has always been about money but it’s evolved and players get about 49-51% of Basketball Related Income now. They are partners within the franchise and league. Much of what players do is to build their brand to increase their individual market value. And Vic already has star power and marketing appeal in both France and the US. It’s about maximizing this marketing potential getting the individual endorsement and sponsorship deals here in the US and overseas where the NBA has targeted the Euro markets. Dollars my friend. Dollars.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I hope he gets a Ralph Sampson NBA career.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

The hate for landrys is so strange. Like so none of you like chilis?! It’s basically all the same (yes i
    pretty sure they would have made the same dollars in pretty much any city. If you think the spurs would make more money for the league because they’ll win more, well that’s presumptuous. Pop is a great coach, but he is old af and he doesn’t have a good roster. Wemby would most def win more games (at least in short term) with Houston.

the league did not rig the draft. Spurs got lucky. We got unlucky. It happens.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I didn’t say that at all. I said that the NBA has been trying to expand the game globally since Stern and has opened up the Euro market including France. Victor is a key partner in helping the NBA as a global brand especially with a spur fanbase already in France and Europe. It’s about continually marketing and elevating the brand and creating business opportunities getting the international revenue through tv, media deals, and licensing. Much money is to be made and it’s about increasing the visibility and popularity of the sport. Not sure what you’re talking about same dollars in every city there. This is about expansion of the game to get more dollars.

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

no, I got that. Maybe I wasn’t clear in my point — wemby playing in San Antonio isn’t going to market him faster or better than if he played in Houston. The French aren’t going to only watch the spurs. They’re going to watch wherever wemby plays.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Perhaps but I think he was strategically placed there since there is already a fan base. Again it’s about generating more interest and creating more visibility building upon the brand. Not only that he seeks to gain in his personal brand and individual market value. I mentioned before that players aren’t just players anymore they are partners in this global company called the NBA and their respective franchises and they seek to increase the popularity of their brand.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Huh?

Wot?

"whoever is in the first 2-3 picks is typically a franchise player"

"the Rockets woudl have at least a franchise altering player"

...... by your own words the Rockets should currently have 2 franchise altering players.

You're all over the place bro

Also slight correction, they're not working with the hand they were dealt. They're working the hand Tilman forced them to have.

19. JHarden27

JHarden27 Member

Look I said "typically" we are outside the top three. Last time I checked we are 4th?

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member