1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, waddya know? Saddam really IS trying to build nukes...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by treeman, Jan 21, 2003.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Israel has so much terrorism because they portray the American way and the Palestinians hate them for it. Its not because they are Jews. Its because they are an Americanized society. Muslim extremists hate everything about Americans...the Israelis are the closest thing to Americans so they bear the brunt of the suicide attacks. You can bet your bottom dollar that if those Palestinians could walk into Ray's Pizza on 2nd Ave, they would rather do that then go into a Sbarros in Jerusalem.

Do I believe Bush when he says that Iraq is harboring terrorists or do I believe Sadaam when he says they aren't? Hmmm...tough one.

Only the ones that hate Americans who live in America. Is there something wrong with that?

I BELIEVE that Sadaam is paying the families of suicide bombers...I don't care whether they are bombing Jews or Nazis...it needs to be taken care of.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That didn't seem to happen after the US got the Germans and Japanese to surrender.

3. NJRocket

LMAO!!!!! Yeah because the children over there are taught to love and respect Americans otherwise ,right? puuuuullllleeeezzzeeeee

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

In all due fairness....there was a link established, no? Didn't Mohamed Atta meet with members of the Iraqi govt. prior to 9/11?

And also, not to refute your argument about the "attitude" that is responsible for prohibiting peace in the region is just as prominent on the non-Israeli side as well. So which came first...chicken or egg?

I am just trying to be objective. Carry on.

5. NJRocket

Yes but Khan doesn't believe it because Sadaam denied it

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If and when you play chess, do you think more than two moves ahead?

My point, and I hope I am very wrong, is that bombs that kill, in particular, civilians, breed a hatred of the sort that is difficult to comprehend until you've had someone kill a close family member (hope this hasn't happened to you). If that happened to me, I may well launch the rest of my life on a course of revenge. Also, many people in the world are on the fence concerning the US. Act in a defensible and righteous way: these people get on board. Act in a unilateral and violent way that kills civilians: these people are much more likely to join up with terrorists, take a plane to the US of A.

Again, that's just the chess game as I see it. I don't want to "do what everybody else wants." I don't want the US to be a "wuss." I want us to act with the moral high ground at all times. Saying "well, this guy's bad, m'kay. And you know he's bad, m'kay. So we're going to go in guns blazing, whether anybody else agrees with this course of action, m'kay? Cause basically, pardner, we don't respect what any of y'all think, and we'll drop bombs wherever we like," is the opposite of the moral high ground.

We can be righteous world leaders or despised bullies of the world. Style points aside, the former case seems like a stable, long-term plan to success for our country (to say nothing of the flourishing of the world).

Okay, that's my overall point, in a nutshell. I don't need the last word at all. Over n' out.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I won't comment on whether Saddam is trying to build nukes or not, or how many Iraqi's will hate us if we invade, but the idea of France telling us it's wrong to intervene in another country without U.N. approval is a joke. They are intervening in West Africa as I type and have been off and on for years and years. Perhaps I should have said decades and decades.

The French will be the French, I suppose.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

And a well said word that is Bob.
    I dont feel knowledgable about foreign policy enough to get into this discussion (tho I enjoy reading it)..

but I know one thing...

I agree completely. Thats the view I want MY country to take in all of its dealings.
    Dont be so quick to go in guns-a-blazing unless you are doing the moral, right thing.
    Period.

9. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

That is absolute garbage. If they hated freedoms why aren't they bombing Amsterdam where prostitution and drugs are legal?? That is just plain ignorance to believe that. The Palestinians are being thrown off of their land daily, to build new settlements for Israeli settlers from Russia, America and other countries. This is not some hate of the west, that is preposterous. Its a land and liberty issue in which the Palestinians have neither.

The alleged meeting between Atta and an Iraqi intelligence official in Germany never happened. This was not stated by Iraq but by US intelligence. So keep trying to equate 9/11 with Iraq. There are no ties and your just reaching for one.

10. F.D. Khan

This is just their politics because with their significant relationship with North Africa they are heavily populated with Arabs. Its more about the vote and money trail.

11. NJRocket

Garbage? I think not. Its fact. Its not "freedoms" they hate...its Americans. The Palestinians wouildnt be getting tossed like salads if they didnt decide to try out their new firecracker toys in public places.

Khan...don;t worry...all is well...once we turn iraq into a sand trap, you can go over there and live in their loving society if you wish.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Actually, there were two supposed meetings, and they were in Prague, not Germany. I have seen articles saying it "never happened." I have also seen articles saying it dod, even though some sources refute it. Supposedly there are photographs.

Anyway, I am not "reaching." I only know what I read. And in my post above, I was asking, not telling that a link had been established. This article is interesting:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/539dozfr.asp

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

B-Bob
    For your info. Treeman was probably the most militaristic poster we've ever had. Even many of the Republicans were having problems with him.

To his credit, he decided to join the military to get in on some action. I'd guess 8 months ago. At least he isn't a chickenhawk like the admistration guys.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm glad you're not the commander in chief. Otherwise Iraq could send a puny army to conquer the US and it would probably win. You would never order an attack.

15. F.D. Khan

Though Treeman and I had some differences in opinion I have always had a hell of a lot of respect for him for going out there and fighting on my and every one of our parts.

I think there is nothing more noble than to fight for your country.

16. Perl Ghost

Perl Ghost Member

How much longer will Sadams health stay up? I mean, he is bound to die some time...

Honestly, I hope Sadam pulls a Napoleon and exiles. A peaceful solution to a problem from the beginning.

17. Buck Turgidson

The issue is not Al-Queda, it is terrorism in general. Is Iraq a state sponsor of terrorism?

1. As Treeman suggested in another thread, read up on the Iraqi installation at Salman Pak, here's a link for you:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/salman_pak.htm

2. Abu Nidal was given state-sponsored assylum in Baghdad for years;

3. Ansar Al-Islam, "which has clear and demonstrable connections with al-Qaeda, is made up of Arabs who have recently fled Afghanistan. They are concentrated in the Kurdish areas which have declared their independence from Saddam's rule, and they spend all their time trying to destroy the leadership of the autonomous Kurdish zone." Why would they do that? Not exactly a function of jihad, now is it? Also, PUK (one of the groups controlling Kurdistan) explosive experts claim that TNT and other explosives seized from Ansar were manufactured by the Iraqi military, and they claim that Ansar forces are supplied from areas controlled by Baghdad.

18. Perl Ghost

Perl Ghost Member

What happens to the Palestians if they don't fight back? Are they going to be allowed to be a country? Will they have the same land they have? Honest questions, please answer.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Amen to this. Seriously.
    Or to fight for your beliefs. Same thing hopefully most of the time. :)

20. Perl Ghost

Perl Ghost Member