1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Welcome Back Kotter Fans] : Juan Epstein will not be in class today...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

... because he's dead

Signed,

Epstein's Mother.

Sad day for me, y'all. I loved this show.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=698890

----------------------------

'Welcome Back, Kotter' star Robert Hegyes dies at 60

Jan. 26, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
    By Tim Kenneally
    TheWrap

Robert Hegyes, who played Juan Epstein on '70s sitcom "Welcome Back, Kotter," died Thursday, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reports. Hegyes, who died of an apparent heart attack after suffering chest pains at his Metuchen, N.J., home, was 60.

Hegyes had not been in good health for the past two years, his brother Mark Hegyes told the paper. The actor had suffered a previous heart attack in recent years.

Police responded to an emergency call from Hegyes' home at approximately 9 a.m. He was transported to JFK Medical Center in Edison, N.J., but at that point he had gone into full cardiac arrest.

Though Hegyes also starred on the detective series "Cagney & Lacey" (as Detective Manny Esposito) and, in later years, guest-starred on shows such as "NewsRadio" and "Diagnosis Murder," he was best known for his role as Juan Epstein -- full name: Juan Luis Pedro Phillipo de Huevos Epstein -- on the 1970s sitcom "Welcome Back, Kotter" from 1975 to 1979. Perpetually scheming and always ready with a self-written note signed "Epstein's Mother" to explain his school absences, Epstein stood out among a group of characters that included the super-cocky womanizer Vinnie Barbarino (played by a young John Travolta) and hip but beleaguered high school teacher Gabe Kotter (played by Gabe Kaplan).

Hegyes' last listed acting role on IMDb is in the film "Hip, Edgy, Sexy, Cool" in 2002. He also appeared with most of the original "Kotter" cast members for a reunion at the TV Land Awards last year, as a commemoration for the series' 35th anniversary.

He leaves behind two children, Cassie and Mack, and two stepchildren, Sophia and Alex.

1 person likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

your dreams were your ticket out.

rip

top five theme song

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dang, I loved that show....RIP !
    DD

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nice touch. brings tears to my eyes.

5. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Carvelli said "We'll miss you".

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Used to love Thursday because this show was on. RIP Epstein, great part of a great show.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We lost a TV brother yesterday. The show wouldn't have been as funny without him.

Thanks for the laughs, Robert Hegyes! Rest in peace.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Great show (Kotter). Funny actor. RIP

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

That show is still funny today..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/quSvXylCv60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP

Good show.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Loved loved that show. And the theme song is badass. Makes me totally nostalgic listening to it.

RIP Juan Epstein, best Jewto-Rican in history