1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weekend ideas for Delaware/east coast?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm at Delaware for work, so I'm renting a car in the weekends and doing road trips.

I stopped by Philly and I know Baltimore and New York is a couple hours away.

What are some places to visit or good food to eat?

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm assuming you've been to Rehoboth, if not, good place to start your beach explorations- still plenty warm

take the Cape May ferry from Lewes to Cape May, NJ.

Avalon, NJ, about 10m north of Cape May is a great beach town, with lots of good food.

Havre de Grace, just acoss the susquehanna, is a lovely little town on the north end of the Chesapeake. also, head to Annapolis for a day, lots to see and do there.

great time of year to visit Lancaster County in PA. Also, Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA, just 10 minutes or so from Wilmington.

not sure how much you've explored Philly, but if you don't want to drive, it's a 20 min train ride from Wilmington, so much to see and do. for food, check out the East Passyunk food scene in south philly. this place is great, highly recommended:

http://www.townsendrestaurant.com/

http://visiteastpassyunk.com/

1 person likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Huge thanks basso.

Wilmington is in the center of everything, but I was getting the feeling there was a lot more I'm missing that was in front of me.

As for Philly, I stayed around City Hall eating everything I could get my hands on in walking distance...cheesesteaks, lobster/crab/shrimp rolls, juicy lucies, insomniac cookies.

I can't say it was the most healthy or highbrow affair, but Philly knows how to eat.

I'm also impressed with the nice restaurants around Delaware. I think the quality is better for the price compared to Texas or the West Coast. My avg price for a good meal is 30 for an entree. While much more implies a better experience no matter where you live, I don't think that's always the case.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eastern State Penitentiary in philly if you're interested in crime.
    Shopping in DE.
    NYC is NYC.
    Baltimore might be worth seeing the Aquarium (and if you're going to Baltimore might as well just drive across bay bridge and drive to DC instead)

#4 Ubiquitin, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

B-more represent!

-Blue Moon Cafe- (Breakfast or brunch). Get Captain Crunch French Toast. They are famous for that.

-Miss Shirley's- (Breakfast or brunch). Coconut Cream French Toast is outstanding.

-Helmand- trendy Afghani place run by Prime Minister Hamid Karzai's brother

-Vaccaro's Italian Pastry- best place for dessert. They also sell nice panini sandwiches. (Little Italy)

-Dukem Ethiopian- Best Ethiopian I've had anywhere

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ethiopic in DC destroys Dukem. Hell, Sheba is pretty good too.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i should add the Andrew Wyeth Museum in Chadds Ford, PA, again, just 10-15 min from Wilmington on Rt. 1. take either 202 or 52 north (52 is a nicer drive).

and in that area is Junto, a nice farm-to-table restaurant; review here:

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2014/07/31/restaurant-review-junto/

and right up the street is the Chadd's Ford Winery, which is fun. wines are a little sweet for my taste, so you might check out the Penn Woods Winery, just around the corner:

http://www.pennswoodsevents.com/

and the Brandywine Battlefield (revolutionary war) is also right there. and you can canoe or float down the Brandywine river.

all this is just 5 miles (closer to Philly) from Kennett Square (referenced above- also happens to be the mushroom capital of the world).

my old man lived right next to the Wyeth museum, which is how i got acquainted with the area.

more info here:

http://www.brandywinecvb.org/