1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Week 1: Chicago Bears (0-0) @ Houston Texans (0-0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Sep 6, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People annoyed with JJ Watt are annoying, the man is amazing, just enjoy the show.

Texas 31
    Bears 13

THIS IS OUR YEAR

DD

1 person likes this.
  2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Texan 30
    Bears 9

Brock throws for 315 yards and 3 touchdowns

Miller rushes for over 100 and catches for 55 yards and rec touchdown.

Hopkins with 106 yards on 9 catches and a touchdown.

Defense plays elite level defense only giving up 9 points.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Annoying? Not so much, for me at least.

I just want to make sure he's there for the long haul. I just got a puppy and named him Watt.

1 person likes this.
  4. GottaHaveHeart

Bears 24-13. Seriously think JJ should sit at least 2-3 games. Back injuries are serious and sometimes you got to protect the player from himself.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We are playing on 9/11, if you wanna be the guy to tell JJ he can't run out onto that field with a flag strapped to his back, go ahead and try. That man is playing, getting 5 sacks, and saluting each one of them.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Welcome to the club.

Ha I named my German shorthaired pointer Watt.

I think it was a bad omen. Because he has a high motor LOL! Energy level is crazy... Although common in that breed.

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

LOL @ the Watt haters. I'm not complaining one bit. He's the best football player in the NFL right now. If his talent has eroded 25%, he's still one of the best interior lineman in football.

He keeps playing like this, putting the defense on his broken back and racking up DPOY awards, then he can media-w**** all he wants!

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> waive rookie cornerback Duke Thomas with an injury settlement.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/773901956788068352">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What Watt haters?

He's the best football player on the planet...but if he didnt play for Houston, everyone in here would be tired of seeing him plastered all over the media, commercials, etc...with the persona he has created for himself.

No haters in here, just an understanding of why he might not be well liked outside of Houston.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Watt: “We’ve managed to pull off 9-7 two years in a row with eight quarterbacks, and I’m hoping with one, we can do a hell of a better job.”</p>&mdash; Sarah Barshop (@sarahbarshop) <a href="https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/773621523403841537">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bears?src=hash">#Bears</a> DC Vic Fangio says <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a> wouldn't have won the Super Bowl last year without the contributions of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> QB Brock Osweiler.</p>&mdash; Zach Zaidman (@ZachZaidman) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/773595935586807810">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yup. Its funny to see so much homerism. JJ has them eating right out of his hand on command. I just hope he fills up their water bowls, its been so hot lately.

Like I said, love JJ, really do think he is a nice guy with a good heart but this image being portrayed in my face 24/7, is getting old.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, you're actually picking the Bears? That's gotta be a first. Even Bears homers don't think they'll win.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Him being on his way of becoming one of the two or three best defensive players (arguably best) of all-time doesn't get old.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Didn't mean to classify anyone as a hater... seriously, wasn't trying to be divisive or call anyone out.

As for the "if he didn't play for Houston" version of JJ Watt that you mention, I think Peyton Manning's media persona (especially the Denver era) is a pretty good example of what that would feel like. Dominant player, plastered all over the place to the point of ubiquity.

While I was thoroughly sick of seeing Peyton everywhere, I know a LOT of Houston Texans fans that couldn't get enough and still think the guy walks on water... even though he was basically the Darth Vader to our Luke Skywalker for a decade. Grown men telling me how much they cried during "The Book of Manning" 30 for 30... ridiculous.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I like JJ Watt so don't want to sound like a hater...

but come on. He doesn't act anything like Manning.

The celebrations on the field, the intentional "Captain America" type stuff, the goofy aw shucks trash talk, the drama about retirement, the 'don't want the media to show me doing firefighter stuff but want to make sure John McClain knows about it so he can tell people" lol, the snapchat stuff, the shirtless stuff for the ladies, lol. The guy has a well crafted superhero good guy image. If he isn't on your team it would drive you nuts.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

A lot of what he does is absolutely calculated, and is by design. But, for all the PR-type stuff he does off the field, he also gives a tremendous amount of time and money to charity, tries to interact with fans at every opportunity, and generally respects the hell out of the city of Houston and reps it as hard as he can. This coupled with the fact that he's the best football player on the planet right now earns him a green light for anything he wants to do. I know he's a PR genius, but honestly, I don't really care. I'm drunk on the JJ Kool-Aid.

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's my take. I know the things he does are very scripted, but I don't care. It's not like he's really a secret jerk that treats people like crap and is rude to fans. He plays up the clean cut Captain America image and stuff to make more marketing dollars. Good for him.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Fuller (hamstring) not doing much in portion open to reporters. Was limited Wednesday</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/773926020583858176">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duane Brown (quadriceps) not practicing, won't play Sunday, Derek Newton (hamstring) practicing, set to play Sunday</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/773925792082382848">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">J.J. Watt (back) practicing for third day this week as he gets set to return Sunday against the Chicago Bears</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/773925563861913600">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>