1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wedding Gift Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hjg877, Jul 28, 2008.

1. hjg877

hjg877 Member

One of my family members is getting married and I need advice on:

(1) Wedding gift for the bride and groom

(2) Suggestions for table settings/gifts for guests*

* - Another family member is in charge of those and asked me for advice; they were thinking of nice mint tins with goodies/treats/giveaways in them, but they are already going to be there.

It's a beach wedding in California, so perhaps something beach/tropical themed. Not too tacky. Also the family member that has to purchase these is from the South and was trying to find a way to incorporate a Southern theme in this, but I think that will just confuse the guests.

Ideas?

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

A seashell! That way they can hear the ocean!

Seriously though, they're not registered? Must be a hellava woman.

3. Asian Sensation

(1) Cash
    (2) That's a girls job.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

1. cash
    2. bubbles

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

It's awkward. I'm getting married in a few months and my fiance's mom suggested that I register. I don't really feel like it because I've been married before and don't want to go through that, nor even ask anyone for anything. Most of my family/ old friends will probably just get a quick announcement, maybe even after the fact. But he's never been married before so I understand wanting the full wedding treatment.

What would we need anyway? Kitchen appliances... we've been living on our own for so long that, if we needed something to cook with or eat off of, we would probably have it by now. I have ZERO interest in china patterns, silver patterns, or those funky little appliances with weird functions like "nectarine corer" or "hollandaise sauce boat and ladle" that will never get used. In some cultures cash is great or even expected, but in others it's frowned upon (even though a gift certificate with the same amount is fine).

For people with no registry, I've tried to get some kitchen thing that you could always use more of, like basic pots and pans. You run the risk of duplicating someone else's gift or something they already have. Registries do make it easier...

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Isabel, I say "register." I was very much against it, and we said "no presents," but then we started to get the weirdest and/or most duplicate crap.

So, we ended up with about 9 serving bowls, and feeling really bad for the money spent on them, and one weird serving plate that looks like some kind of ancient Etruscan body armor. Not pretty... And then the joke gifts started, like the enormous wooden fork and spoon (i.e. like on the wall in a 1970's house).

To the OP, I suggest a serving plate that looks like some kind of ancient Etruscan body armor.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Talk to some other family members and throw in on a combined gift. It's nicer and usually someone else does the shopping.

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

Take it from someone who is about 3.5 weeks away from his wedding, the best wedding gift is...

CASH.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

The best wedding gift is most books from marriagebuilders.com. Learn how to maintain a happy marriage from the start and avoid all pitfalls before it's too late.

10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I know someone who gave a Wii and it was very much appreciated.

I know someone else who gave a d*ck in a box and it didn't go over so well.

11. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

SOMETHING OFF THE REGISTRY

It's annoying as hell when people give you random crap you don't need when you've registered for stuff you DO need at a couple of different places...

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I guess I'm old fashioned and I just don't think giving Cash is a proper gift...Well, maybe not the main gift as that's why people register for stuff right? I'm going to a wedding next month and they said Dillard's or $$$ for their honeymoon...

I think giving $$$ is soo impersonal so I'll go find something at Dillards that they registered for...Plus I don't want to contribute to their honeymoon...They should be paying for that on their own, IMHO...

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

divorce attorney gift certificate voucher :)

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

For the couple: Something they wouldn't buy themselves. Lots of times, I buy nice crystal and a nice bottle of wine.

For the tables: Disposable cameras.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Isabel, I agree, registering will help people immensely. Specifically because you have been living on your own for so long people will have no idea what to get you and you will end up with a ton of stuff you will never need. At least give them a hint of things with a register.

As for a gift for the OP, something I always like to do is either coordinating bathroom or kitchen stuff. If they have a register see what is on there first and if its all purchased buy something that would go well with what is on the register. Also going in with someone else is always a good idea.

Okay table gifts/ centerpieces... this is going to bring out my crafty side.

One that I really liked was flowers made of kisses. The best way to describe this is you take two hershey's kisses back to back and wrap them in red saran wrap. Then you buy some of the green floral tape and make a stem around the end of the saran wrap and possibly some floral wire to make them stand more easily. You do as many of these as you have seats at the table and then put them in an arrangement in the middle with some matching "fake" flowers. You can tag them with a "leaf" cut out that has the wedding day and if red isn't one of the wedding colors make them match the theme.

I have lots of other ideas but I am supposed to be working.. lol I will post more tonight

16. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

absolutely no to disposable cameras! my sis had one per table so like 20 cameras and after we spent the money on them and developed them, we at most had 2 good photos. that's what you pay the photographer for and these days, everyone has digital cameras so you just ask them for your photos after the wedding.

gift suggestion-i always say a gc to target. who can say no to buying toilet paper, cleaning products, toiletries and for the girls, they have the cutest clothes.

wedding favor-we did koozie's that said "to have and to hold and to keep your beer cold." it was a huge hit! plus if it's an outdoor wedding with bottles, that could be used immediately.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We had a ton of great photos emailed to us after our wedding from people taking their own pictures. I don't think you need disposable cameras on the tables.