1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Webpronews & ESPN] Jeremy Lin May Not Re-Sign with the New York Knicks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, May 23, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://www.webpronews.com/jeremy-lin-may-not-resign-with-the-new-york-knicks-2012-05

Point guard says his decision to stay isn't set in stone
    By Todd Rigney

Jeremy Lin, the guy who brought “Linsanity” to the New York Knicks, is a restricted free agent this summer, which means that he can pretty much sign with whoever he wants. Assuming, of course, that they want him, as well. The Knicks will have an opportunity match any offers, which I’m sure they will given Lin’s talent and popularity. And while some people feel that there’s no reason to panic over a potential departure, Lin’s agent suggests you shouldn’t assume he’s going to return.

In a recent interview with the New York Post, agent Roger Montgomery explained, “I don’t expect that. We’re not anticipating that’s going to happen. We don’t have assurances of anything. I know history shows most restricted free agents go back to their team, but I’m not going to assume anything. We’re waiting to see what happens.”

Lin himself echoed these sentiments, adding, “There’s always going to be uncertainty until the final contract is signed, so definitely nothing is set in stone. Nothing’s set in stone until it’s really written.”

This may come as a surprise to Knicks coach Mike Woodson, who said that Lin would “absolutely” return to play for the Knicks next season. It’s understandable why he’d want Lin to return. In addition to helping reinvigorate the franchise towards the end of the season, the point guard also has a devoted fan following which essentially translates into dollar signs when you start plastering his name and likeness onto overpriced merchandise.

In related news, Lin was recently named to the USA Basketball Select Team, which will assist in the U.S. Olympic team in preparing for the London games this summer.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...slam-dunk-jeremy-lin-re-signs-new-york-knicks

Jeremy Lin will be a restricted free agent this summer, and many see it as a foregone conclusion that the point guard will return to the New York Knicks, but not everyone feels so strongly.

"I don't expect that. We're not anticipating that's going to happen. We don't have assurances of anything," Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, said in an interview with the New York Post. "I know history shows most restricted free agents go back to their team, but I'm not going to assume anything. We're waiting to see what happens."

Knicks coach Mike Woodson said earlier this month that Lin will "absolutely" be back with the Knicks next season. But Lin, speaking the day after the Knicks' season-ending loss to Miami in the playoffs, said "nothing is set in stone" regarding his free agency.

"There's always going to be uncertainty until the final contract is signed, so definitely nothing is set in stone," Lin said. "Nothing's set in stone until it's really written."

Thanks to a clause in the CBA -- named after Gilbert Arenas -- the Knicks can match any offer made to Lin this summer.

Another factor in Lin's free agency is the expected arbitration hearing over the Bird and Early Bird exceptions to the salary cap for waived players.

The union and league are at odds over whether the Bird rights for waived players should be transferred to their new teams. The union says the rights, which allow teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign players, should transfer for players who are waived. The league argues that the Bird rights should not transfer.

This is significant for Lin because he was picked up off of waivers by the Knicks. If the arbitrator rules in favor of the union, then the Knicks would be allowed to exceed the cap to sign both Lin and forward Steve Novak, who also was acquired off of waivers.

This would also allow the Knicks to use their $5 million mid-level exception on another player. If the arbitrator rules in favor of the league, the Knicks will likely have to use their mid-level exception to re-sign Lin and would be limited in their pursuit of other free agents.

Lin emerged from the end of the Knicks' bench in early February to lead the team to seven straight wins, essentially saving New York's season. In addition, he provided a significant financial boon for the Knicks in merchandising sales and marketing opportunities. These intangibles are why many believe Lin is a lock to re-sign.

But there is yet another wrinkle to consider: Teams under the salary cap can offer Lin more than $5 million per season in the third and fourth years of a contract offer, as long as the average annual value of the deal does not exceed the salary cap.

If the Knicks were to match such a back-loaded offer, it may put them above the luxury tax in the third and fourth years of Lin's contract and prohibit them from using their mid-level exception.

Lin underwent surgery April 2 to repair a small tear in the meniscus of his left knee. He tried to return during the first round of the Knicks' playoff series against the Heat but was unable to do so.

Montgomery told the New York Post that Lin is "doing well" but is not 100 percent healthy.

This could be good for the Rockets in keeping Dragic, if another team can lure Lin away from New York (Toronto or Portland). Moreover, the Knicks are my least favorite team in the East, so I hope ends up somewhere else or puts the Knicks into SALARY CAP HELL.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

How can they even offer him with their horrid cap situation?

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

fixed

4. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

He doesn't deserve more than 5M. If he wants more, let him go.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

LOL.
    Haters gonna hate. 20/10 as a PG would net at least 10M. Look at Dragic, he's going to be worth 11M, and I consider him a little better than Lin.

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Asian?

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You think he's going to average 20/10?

He's a good player but I think after the initial linsanity came back to earth we saw a better glimpse of what he'd be over the course of a whole season.

8. RedRedemption

If he keeps playing the way he's been playing in that streak he's going to be worth a lot. He was putting up superstar stats.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Lin is going to be overpaid. No doubt about it.

10. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

He was also putting up shocking turnover numbers. 20-10 is even BETTER than Paul, Nash numbers, you expect Lin to be able to do that?

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You should watch the Knicks play instead of ESPN.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

We should sign Lin so Dwight would come.

13. RedRedemption

I have.
    He turns the ball over a lot, but Lin is really good at feeding the ball to cutters. Also he doesn't blindly pass to whoever is open. I remember one play where Iman was wide open yet Lin told him to clear out of the way and gave the ball to a hot Novak for a three.

The turnovers are bad, however he's got the right mentality in my opinion, he takes risks. He can be a solid starter in this NBA. Top 15 PG for sure. Not to mention his shooting got tremendously better, and for some uncanny reason he's able to drive on more athletic players.

14. juicystream

It got tremendously better? He shot 47% & 32.5% from 3 in the first month, but 41% & 32.4% in the second month.

You have a strange definition of better.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the salary cap limitation that the Knicks might have might actually depress Lin's salary. If they had no limitation, Lin could leverage other teams to increase his price, secure in the knowledge that NY would match at the end of the day and he wouldn't have to leave. As it stands, he has to really consider if he's really willing to go play for the team he'd sign an offer sheet with, and give up on the big stage in NYC, the irrational fandom, and all the groupies.

16. RedRedemption

I'm talking about a guy who was considered a piss poor shooter before his tenure with the Knicks being able to hit open shots. I was surprised. Didn't think he could shoot at all.

He is EXTREMELY streaky though.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Man, please don't start this s**** again!!!:rolleyes:

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think we should sign Lin so Deron would come!

19. juicystream

Most players are. The one thing that Lin has that makes him valuable is that he isn't afraid to attack the basket. Every time down the floor.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The most he can get is 5mil so I don't think he will be overpaid.