1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber in Europe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Barkley, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3040997

Webber Pondering Greek Team's Multi-Million Offer

More and more players are escapin' from the NBA to Europe...

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

C-Webb vs the T-Mac of Greece.

Again, I blame the weak ass US dollar ;)

#2 AGBee, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  3. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

WNBA and NBA players alike are looking to make the move.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im sure more vetran players that can't get max money and playing time are going to go to Europe because they will pay them decent money and they can be stars there.

Kind of relate it to Bekham or other Soccer stars past their prime that aren't always the best in Europe but dominate against lesser talent in the US and come over for the money.

5. Barkley

Barkley Member

I fully agree with you. For example Kirilenko won't be a star in the NBA but in Europe he will...that also depends

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This just tells me that Webber isn't serious about winning an NBA championship. I mean this guy has made hundreds of millions of dollars and now he's considering ANOTHER cash grab? I know you try and make as much money as possible but my god.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he probably just want detroit to give him a better offer

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've never had any doubt he was going back to Detroit. It's a good situation for him even though I don't consider the Pistons to be championship contenders.

9. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Good analogy but so far no American NBA player of significance has gone to Europe after being offered more money ie (Pargo, Bell). Although it makes sense financially for C-Webb, he will look terrible giving up a chance to win a NBA title to play in Greece.

At least with Beckham he was the "savior" of soccer in America. Webber going to Europe would hardly have an effect on the league. I would be shocked to see him agree to go over there.

10. Rockets Dynasty

That's not true. Dominique Wilkins did just that when he went to join Panathinaikos Athens.

11. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

If Detroit wanted him, he would have already signed with them. Detroit has already committed to Amir Johnson. It's going to either be Dallas or Europe now. Dallas will be a sure thing once they raise the offer to 2 years 10 million bucks. I'm not sure why Cuban is being cheap right now. He did some crazy spending with Stackhouse and Harris.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I bet when you get down to it, it's alot harder to turn down 20-30 MILLION dollars then you think.

13. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

If he leaves NBA he'll make the biggest mistake of his life...

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

Probably yes. He is still good forward in the NBA and I belive a lot of teams would be interest to sing him

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Why? C-Webb has been one of the highest paid players in the NBA for the past 10 seasons, add that along with another 10-12M he would get paid over there...I would he has enough money.

Also...living in beautiful Greece would just be unbelievable IMO. After living in Sacramento, Philly, and Detroit...living/playing in Greece would be the best paid vacation of all time.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I think playing overseas would be great for Webber. But I just don't understand why more teams aren't interested in him. I would love to have him on the Rockets, especially with his familiarity of Adelman's system. He gives you what JHo can't...the consistent mid range jumper, great passing and mismatch opportunities. But hey, he's made all that money here, he might as well make some more in a different country.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Seems like it would be fun for a aging NBA star to play in Europe for a while ~ kind of like Beckham playing in the US.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

Beckham went after Victoria

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, but 'Nique waited until he was a shell of his former self and could no longer get a max paycheck in the NBA. So he chose to go to Greece, where he earned almost FIVE times as much in one year than in his final three NBA seasons combined.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Wilkins 57 years old when he played for P. Athens?

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Never know with Cuban- he saved all that money not signing Nash to 5 year - 50 mil he got in Pho- I recall Cuban spending a lot to get Dampier