1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Frank Black, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I've heard some talk about the Rockets possibly trying to sign Webber after this season. Is this realistic? Who would the starting 5 be? Would we resign Taylor? I've also heard rumors about aquiring Jamison.? Feedback please.

------------------

2. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

Webber a Rocket, hmmmmmmm.. maybe, maybe no?

------------------

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Webber is not a free agent YET. If he becomes a free agent, I'm sure the Rockets will explore the idea of aquiring him.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Here the question: if the Rockets could get/keep either Webber or Taylor, who does Rudy go with?

Stay loyal and keep Taylor who played cheap this year? Taylor is in the same age range as the core of the group, while Webber is an older veteran. Taylor, Francis, Mobley, Cato, Anderson, Thomas can grow together.

Go with the best player of the two? Webber would instantly because THE MAN because of his ability and experience. How would that sit with Francis? What does disregarding Taylor's perceived sacrifice do to Houston's reputation?

Just asking questions. I've got my own opinion. Interesting conundrum.

------------------
    "Not just a layup, but a mundane layup." -- Calvin Murphy, not realizing that a mundane layup IS just a layup.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

TB-Cain, common sense tells you to go with Webber, but I'm a liberal, so I would almost lean towards Taylor for the age reason alone.

It would all depend on how well the team did this year. If we can keep Anderson/Francis/Mobley/Cato/Norris/Thomas together for a long time, we could be witnessing the beginning of something very special!

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Taylor is only signed for one year , He would fit on the young Sacramento team If Webber wanted to go to Houston it would probably be via trade . Im thinking if anywhere Webber wants to go to Detriot with his buddy Jalen Rose , Spree might consider it as well .

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

7. haven

haven Member

Houston is not going to get Webber.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

8. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

If I were Rudy T, I'd keep Mo T. He just works out better because he will become a better player with time and he grows with the nucleus of the guys we already have. Webber would take away the attention from the team and bring it all to himself. Just wouldn't be good for the chemistry.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS SMOKING? There should be no question that we need Webber more than Taylor... Webber is unselfish, something Taylor proved to not be in his stint in LA... Webber averages 5 assists, 10 boards and 20 points... Taylor is nothing more than 17 points, 8 boards, and maybe 1 assist...

Webber can shoot the outside shot better than our main man Collier... So for all you Collier supporters, imagine a slimmer, badder Collier!

I can see Rudy drooling over the idea of having a Collier clone...

Webber and Francis on the pick and roll would be unstoppable...

You guys need to realize that it is the star players who win titles... Ask Phil Jackson about that...

------------------

[This message has been edited by kidrock8 (edited October 19, 2000).]

10. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

where have i heard this one before? [​IMG]

------------------
    How Sweet it is!

11. Smoke

Smoke Member

This is "dejavu all over again".

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

moe-Jalen Rose is locked up for the next 6 or 7 years in Indiana with his max contract.

It'd depend on what Mo does this year, and what he shows he can do. If he rebounds with great aggression, stays healthy, and scores 16-17 a game, without jacking up a load of shots, and plays defense, Mo would be kept, because that's a year saved in trying to build chemistry. If not, it'd take some evaluation.

BTW, we won't have the cap space to sign Webber even if we wanted to, and he wanted to with a max deal, unless we sent Walt packing for a free agent, which would be very difficult.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Carrol Dawson can work magic. He did it with a little buget this year and next year our buget will be huge so I know he has something up his sleeve. He may find a way to keep Taylor and sign Webber [​IMG]

Webber
    Taylor
    Anderson
    Mobley
    Francis
    Roster in 2001? Champs in 2002?

14. DJ

DJ Member

It'll be great if we can sign Webber. He can be our starting PF in 2001. Just imagine a starting lineup of:
    C-Kelvin Cato
    PF-Chris Webber
    SF-Maurice Taylor
    SG-Shandon Anderson
    PG-Steve Francis
    The main guys off the bench would be Mobley, Williams, Norris and Thomas. I hope this really happens. Can Webber play center? I hope so because we can go with our best lineup at crunch time which is:
    C-Chris Webber
    PF-Maurice Taylor
    SF-Shandon Anderson
    SG-Cuttino Mobley
    PG-Steve Francis

------------------

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

if we get c-webb(at the max) i dont think we will have the money to sign shandon, because hes not a larry bird yet.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Maurice is not fast enough to play the 3, and Webber doesnt want to play center.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads & Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN!

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

With that lineup you don't need a Center because that offense will outscore everybody.

18. Old School

Old School Member

If he goes anywhere I'm betting on the Knicks. Sprewell is already campaigning to be reunited with his Golden State buddy.

Old School

------------------
    Just Build It!

19. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Or Dallas. Cuban will break the bank for him.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I guess getting Webber means we would consider MO disposable?

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!