1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

We will make the playoffs, we will finish 4th, and here is why..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

^^ Also, the Rockets could just as easily win 6 straight now too, like the Mavs...

2. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Depending on the health of Zach and Manu it could happen. Manu is out for like another month and not sure about Zach. Rockets still need to make a move with either Martin or Scola leaving in that deal. I rather it be Martin since Scola has some ability to create his own shot and is average in scoring in the post. Also they have to be able to beat good teams on the road.

But it is funny to a thread like this when just to weeks ago they were fire everybody but I guess a five game winning streak can do that.

3. Band Geek Mobster

This guy's talking about finishing 4th in the division, right????

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Clutchfans. The only place where winning streaks in the NBA are unimpressive.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I've been watching alot of games lately, and almost no one is talking about the Rockets, except in Houston games or fans. You realize that we've won 5 in a row, yet are still 10th in the conference. Minnesota stands one full game off of us with Phoenix at 2 games behind, and the awful, disjointed Sacramento Kings who are 1,000 leagues below us and are about 2.5 games behind us.

The immediate teams in front of us . . . Dallas, Memphis, LA Lakers, and Trailblazers.

A 6th would be nice, but it is extremely difficult, while finishing at 10th to 12th in the West is very realistic.

It's good the team is winning against truly awful teams, but our playoff forecast is very dim right now.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Spot on. Barring a major trade or injury or massive improvement on our part, we'll be the 9th or tenth seed.

14th pick here we come.

7. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Yeah 14th lotto pick is where the Rockets will be

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Well duh no one is talking about us outside of Houston. We don't have a superstar that commands national attention and we dont win "sexy" like espn likes. I'm not saying we're a lock for the playoffs, but I am saying this team and Mchale deserve a lot of credit for bouncing back after their slow start.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Just to keep it in perspective,

we have won 5 straight games against teams that are a combined 23-54. That amounts to a collective winning percentage of .298. And 4 of those 5 games were at home. Sure, the wins were nice.

Now, how much does it really mean?

#89 jopatmc, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

There's no need to get offended, sweetie. I only responded to your quote, "Clutchfans. The only place where winning streaks in the NBA are unimpressive. " While, I was simply saying that quote rings truth for rest of NBA universe. You even disapproved your own point, "We don't have a superstar that commands national attention and we dont win "sexy" like espn likes." I'm going to be honest most of the fans on this site, like most of the ones who go to game are not going to be happy until this team is actually winning and in the playoffs, or if a promising player or superstar comes to town. Again, that's not me saying that, but our attendance numbers. That simply rings true for most teams.

11. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I'm very optimistic about this season but it's kinda ridiculous to call this winning anything other than unimpressive.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hill plays better with flying hair than with corn rows

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

So he is the Rocket's version of Samson.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wont call it homerish but I'll say I find it unlikely.

The Spurs until last nights loss were leading the SW division , they slipped to second in the division and 7th in the conference and are only a half game better than the Rockets. I'll agree that they could fall.

The Lakers have the same record as the Spurs and are also second in their division but 6th in the conference. I think they made a huge mistake moving Odom as he was the guy who created mismatches for them all over the court. But with Bynum and Gasol in the middle & Kobe on the floor .... hurt or not , I cant count that team out of the playoffs even with a PG almost as old and slow as me.

The Clippers with CP3 , Griffin and Jordan .... thats a nice inside out combo and clearly a better team than the Rockets. I think they have a better shot at catching Dallas than either LA team.

Thats 2 .... still need to pass one more to make the playoffs.

Realistically , I think it shakes out something like the following:

1.OKC
    2.Denver
    3.Clippers
    4.Lakers
    5.Memphis
    6.San Antonio
    7.Utah
    8.Portland
    9.Dallas
    10.Houston

I just think all of those teams are better than the Rockets and find it difficult for them to finish in the top 8 .... tho an injury on any of those in the 6-8 spots could open the door for a surprise team to make the playoffs.

15. valorita

valorita Member

we can make the playoff if:

-no major injuries to key players
    -patterson not only returns to form but makes that jump
    -we acquire a decent post defense backup big and not have to rely on hill or thabeet

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

its time to take this thread seriously

ok guys...

17. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

OP was spot on and west is looking WIDE open aside from the number one spot. lakers, spurs are both showing considerable weakness. we need to stay hungry and keep lowry well rested. if we can accomplish those two this team can do big things in a seven game series.

1 person likes this.