1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We will make the playoffs, we will finish 4th, and here is why..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

So, a quarter of the season is over and there is something to cheer about.

The rockets got through a tough start, but as of right now they are 8-7.

What I have seen makes me confident that we will be in the top 4 of the conference...and here is why

1. Solid team
    This is probably our biggest bonus comparing it to all the other teams..We have a bunch of solid guys which means, if someone gets hurt, we can replace that position by someone else who can probably play that position as good as the starter..Yes, I mean, Parsons/Bud, Martin/Lee, Scola/Patterson, Lowry/Dragic...The one position we can't back up is the center position, pray to god he stays healthy...While we can do this, other teams, well besides the Spurs, Okl, Clips and maybe Dallas, will not be able to sustain the tough schedule....This solid approach would have left us somewhere in the middle like previously, but this season its a bonus...

2. Our stars
    Lowry, Martin, Dalembert..can only get better..While Scola looks like he is having some difficulties getting back to his previous season stats, these three are getting better each game...Martin has finally kicked the trade out of his head, Lowry is having almost a triple double each game..and the bear, he just does what we have missed since Yao..huge presence under the basket, nice mid-range jumper, great feet for his size...

3. The young gunz
    No one expected Parsons to do what he has been doing, good D, run the floor well, open up space and surprisingly take Bud's spot. Yea Bud might be a bit down, but notice how he hustles after every basket, notice how he's getting smarter...I know that he will be a part of our playoff run. This rookie Parsons thing is a blessing in disguise...Patterson is not playing to his full potential. He is coming back very slowly.

4. McHale
    Love the 8-9 man rotation. I said that at the start of the season, he'll pick his best players and have them play. No more testing, no more drama while being sent to the bench. It seems like the bench guys who haven't seen time are ok with that. They have been cheering the other guys like good teammates should. I believe that these 8-9 guys can play 40min plus and still deliver..We will be tougher, faster and harder to beat.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This has been the most unimpressive 4-game winning streak in recent memory. While we've had a double digit lead for several games in a row, I just don't feel like we're playing that great.

Against Portland, we were fortunate to win that game. I thought that they outplayed us. WAS, DET, and NOH are just really bad, and those games ended up being much too close for my liking.

I'm not saying that we're a bad team, but I don't think we're any better than last year's team. Too many players just aren't stepping up like we need them to. In particular, Patterson and Dragic need to be much better.

3. Burko

Burko Member

Some people say that it's a sign of a good team when you can play badly but still win

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

5. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

I dunno man. We almost blew the game last night because of our bench and because of McHale. Sticking with Bud for too long and throwing Adrien out there randomly. Then not playing Parsons who was playing great.

So that's two of your reasons down the ****house.

6. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Or a sign that you're playing a really really really bad team.

1 person likes this.
  7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Maybe on the road but home games against scrubs should never be this close.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I look at the Rockets relative to the other teams in the West and wonder how in the world you could possibly think we'll finish 4th.

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

We have a better chance of finishing 3rd than 4th tbh. This division went from being the best division of all-time last year to being very mediocre.

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Our bench has been playing horrible lately. Only Lee and Dragic (Bud once every 4 games) do anything. I thought we were going to have some really good depth but man they are horrible. I honestly think Bud has given all he had to give and should be traded. I don't know if he lost his confidence or what but he doesn't drive to the basket, never cuts to the basket, chunks up 3s and makes a 1/3 of them. Mchale needs to light some fire under his ass. We will come no where near 4 in the West as it is now and if our Bench doesn't get better we won't even make the playoffs.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Then how is it as a 5 game winning streak then?

:)

I do agree though...but if they beat the Spurs on Saturday...well.....

DD

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I like the way our starters are playing, everyone except for Luis. For some reason last night it seemed like he had almost no confidence in his shot and was not able to get good positioning on his man in the paint. This also wasn't the first game I noticed the trend. I'm afraid he might be regressing or being super tentative on offense, which is the main reason he's out there for.

I also am weary about the bench, I know PPatt is still getting back to game shape and trying to find his rythm but as mentioned Dragic and Bud need to play a lot better for us to consistently win, Courtney has been doing his part before and after the injury.

Overall we have a good team but a lot of our players still need to get their timing and shot down.

13. durvasa

Hmmm ... better. :)

5 wins in 7 nights is pretty good.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Remember, it doesn't work like that.

Each of the 3 Division winners is guaranteed a top 4 spot, and you're still positioned by overall record.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Several times before, Scola has looked pretty ordinary at the beginning of the season and picked it up by the end. It takes him some time to heat up or something. I'm mostly expecting that to happen again this season.

But, I still think we're struggling to just get into the playoffs. 4th is out of the question.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To those thinking how "unimpressive" the win streak has been.....

If the Rockets can play that bad, and still win games against bad teams, then when they actually start playing good and getting production from their bench, then they will be that much better.

IMO the 4th through the 10th spots in the West are wide open. Are the Rockets in that conversation now?... no, but can they be.... Yes.

They still need someone else to really step up and really expand their game. Also, I think the backup Center spot is a real glaring hole in the roster. If Dalembert sprains an ankle or something worse... there goes the season. Also, you cant expect him to be able to play 38 min a game.

The Rockets must make a trade to upgrade at some point before March, after that Id be very interestd to see who they end up with, and if that move will be enough to move them up in that 4th to 6th spot in the West.

17. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Good analysis by the OP. I'm not sold on McHale, however. We have a very good core group of players and the chemistry since adding Sam has been great...but McHale scares me with some of his moves. An NBA coach can really cost you games and I fear McHale will cost us some games a top drawer coach would win. Hope I'm wrong.

18. joesr

joesr Member

Damn NO is gonna rock then....

19. durvasa

These are the 7 teams that I think will almost certainly have a better record than us by season's end:

Lakers
    Clippers
    Thunder
    Nuggets
    Blazers
    Spurs
    Mavericks

After that, you still have the Jazz and Grizzlies which should probably be favored to make the playoffs over us as well.

Even if we some how manage a .500+ record, making the playoffs will be difficult. Perhaps that will frustrate the owner and some fans, but I don't mind at all.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I have never seen the bench so bad. We won't be able to keep it up playing our starters this much.

Scola looks like he's not trying. Fatigue is not the answer. Time after time he has a chance to get in between his man and the ball; it's actually probably less work to position himself that way, but no, instead he skirts to the side and lunges an arm out squeemishly trying to tip the ball out while at the same time allowing lay-up after lay-up. This is the consistent way he plays defense now. I know Patterson is sucking, but maybe Scola would get the message if we benched him a couple games.

On the positive side, Lowry and Martin look like they're develop a great chemistry in terms of Lowry knowing exactly where Martin is and where Martin likes to shoot from (aka sweet spots) at all times. Although the defense is not quite there yet, you can tell that it has the POTENTIAL to be much better than last year, and that's primarily due to 1. having a coach that actually cares at that end; and 2. Sam Dalembert, obviously.