1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should target Hassan Whiteside as the second max

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 28, 2016.

1. basketballholic

Horford basically gets an extra 5% of the cap...or roughly an extra 30-35% more per season than Whiteside's max figure.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thanks, so we're talking about a decent portion of space, almost a full mle if not a full mle...

Eh...i don't know, if D.Mo's healt wasn't a problem i could see us going for Whiteside and using the difference with the Horford's max to sign someone else (maybe Llull), but in this scenario i can't think this way...we definitely need a 4, and i think Horford is a great player, can play (well) on both sides and in two positions, can score from any position, can pass, smart player...this team need every part of his package if you ask me...you can play him at the 5 in small lineups...i mean, that's a top player right there, and at the end i think the price it's ok considering the situation...what do you think?

3. basketballholic

Yeah...............I don't think Horford's great. I think he's very good. But not great. Top 15 good at his position. Maybe top 10. Not good enough though to give $27 million a year to.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

only because we have harden who still has mad potential, can we get away with a bad max player. i'd hate to give anyone other than durant or bron a max but w/e what are you gonna do? ask them to be humble and take 10mil per? "we gotta feed our kids hassan cmon man" :mad:

5. JHard13

JHard13 Member

he would be a huge upgrade over dwight

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

He's definitely top 10 at the C. To me, Horford is an ideal third wheel because he's good at everything.

You splurge on Horford if you have Durant locked up, but not without.

I'd probably rather have a Harden-Durant-Horford trio than one with Whiteside mainly because of Horford's passing ability.

Whiteside has the potential, if he puts it all together, to be a good enough second best player. You still go for Whiteside even if you don't get Durant imo.

Is that not crazy that a 14/12/3 player still has upside?

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't necessarily agree with your classification, i without a doubt put him in the first 5 pfs around and probably top 10 front court players, but that can be subjective i guess. Let's say he's not a superstar, i can definitely agree with this, but if we can sign Durant i think we're good enough to spend a max on a player like Horford, i mean, in a situation where we'll probably end up seeing something like 18x for Ryan Anderson and a max for Ibaka next year, 25 for Horford is a no brainer imo, he'll basically be the Bosh that Morey wanted two years ago...i'm not sure he'll be a good signing if we miss on Durant though...but i'm not sure what to think about that scenario, i'm not even sure Morey will keep Harden until he goes in his last year if the team around him is not good enough.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Basically what i think, i'm not that impressed with Whteside, to me Horford is just a better basketball player but, if you end up in a situation where your best option available is Whiteside, you just sign him, no question about it, it's always a player/asset with good value, after that you can wait/find a good deal for him or Capela and upgrade another spot.

9. supercoolBeas

supercoolBeas Member

Whiteside has been a changed man ever since his suspension. After the all-star break, he was a totally different man on and off the court believe it or not. I understand some people questioning how he will react/play once he gets paid, but one thing's for sure: Hassan's not Andrew Bynum who doesn't give a f about basketball. I think that isn't even close right now. It's the antics and control that may worry some. But this guy's been through a lot from Lebanon to China to the D-League and now to this.

He has been saying all the good stuff lately. I always thought he was playing out there for himself before and not for the team....always thought he was just showcasing his skills just so he could cash in that next check. But once Riley/Spo talked to him during the break, everything changed. He's even shooting like 80% or something from the FT. That is crazy!!! Small sample size, but a big man sucking to suddenly shooting that high from the free throw line, has that even happened before? And now, he's even added those J's to his offensive arsenal. We all know the story on D. This guy is scary good and is definitely what Rockets fans wanted in Dwight......the scarier part? He still has some flaws and will still get better!

10. NBADraft2003

NBADraft2003 Member

When was the last time you guys watched Hassan?

11. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Good post. Agree with a lots of point on here and your other post about horford's relative cost. Also he's 30 and although his play doesn't depend on athleticism, he is 30 and has been banging with centers when he is really a pf. So I wouldn't be surprised that when that catches up with him.

I'd obviously go with whoever would convince durant to come, but failing that I am almost tempted to say Whiteside over horford and definitely over Conley Barnes and most other free agents bc he fits a position complementary to harden. Harden draws attention and would free up Whiteside to further get boards and he can defends hardens lapses. I think you can get a good defensive guard for cheaper.

This morning on hoopshype barrier said that he once thought Whiteside would not make it, but now has converted to the "church of Whiteside". So not that he's not at risk of backsliding, but that there's a re chance he's gotten better and will continue to be a monster that improves.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
    Swimming through sick lullabies
    Choking on your alibis

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here are Hassan Whiteside’s shot types since the break. 50.0% on jump shots is pretty impressive (36.5% pre-break). <a href="https://t.co/5vGBOORntq">pic.twitter.com/5vGBOORntq</a></p>&mdash; Michael Gallagher (@MikeSGallagher) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/714848543572230144">March 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hassan Whiteside is averaging 10-plus points, 10-plus rebounds and 3-plus blocks in less than 30 minutes per.<br><br>It's a first in NBA history.</p>&mdash; HoopsHype (@hoopshype) <a href="https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/713817922439806976">March 26, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A career-high 27 points (12-16 FG) for <a href="https://twitter.com/youngwhiteside">@YoungWhiteside</a>!<br><br>Lots of dunks.<a href="https://t.co/D2vlu8OFZg">https://t.co/D2vlu8OFZg</a></p>&mdash; Miami HEAT (@MiamiHEAT) <a href="https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT/status/714650590983225344">March 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wish Capela would develop into that

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Whiteside is 5 years older than Capela.

When whiteside was Capela's age he played 2 nba minutes the whole year.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly. And if Durant is signed, then Rockets do not need more offense, but rather more defense.

Harden, Durant and Beasley should be more than enough on offense. Ariza and Whiteside would be great fits next to those guys.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I could be on board with that if I had confidence that Whiteside would continue to produce at this level and not taper off after he gets it "big deal."

I have more confidence that Horford will continue to produce after he gets his. Thus, Horford for me.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Horford is not the best investment, but is one you make off the premise that he is a package deal with Durant.

If you strike out on Durant, you have to decide if it is worthwhile to throw max dollars at two second/third tier guys like Whiteside / Barnes.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hassan Whiteside, on all the teams that cut him or passed up a chance to sign him: &quot;They know. They know they messed up.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/720695288101515264">April 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

And we all know how Les feels about the ones that got away.