1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should target Hassan Whiteside as the second max

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 28, 2016.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

is it the same grown up that people said cousins has done

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

The difference between Whiteside and Capela is proven production.

3. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I don't watch much of Cousins, but its hard for anyone on this forum to talk about another center's maturity when we have Dwight Howard who has his own maturity issues at 30 years old.

How many times has Whiteside been ejected last two years, twice maybe?

What about Dwight?

What if you count all the times the player has fouled out? Who wins then?

Who mails it in when they don't get the ball enough? Who accepts his role on the team as a defender/shot blocker/rebounder?

Who has tried to develop a mid-range shot to change with the NBA?

Let's get serious here.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure why you're using Dwight to defend Whiteside. Thats besides the point. With Dwight gone likely after this season, getting whiteside isn't any better. And I'll gladly pass on him

Both have their problems and issues. You're just trying to make a case of who is less of one. I would choose to stay away from both

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

god daam new cba gonna rip a new ******* into every team that doesnt get lebron or durant.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You're right, Whiteside isn't ideal, I'm just trying to point out that he's not as crazy as most people like to think. I hope he stays in Miami, for the sake of his career.

----

The best bet for the next 3 years is Durant and Horford. And if Capela develops into a legit defensive C, you slide Horford over to PF.

It gives us a lot of versatility when you can play go offensive and play Durant at the 4 + Horford at the 5.

I honestly think we have a legit shot at Durant if Morey can make the basketball case of a Harden - Durant - Horford - Capela starting lineup.

Horford is one of those players you can plug into any lineup and he will be good.

7. basketballholic

Whiteside has been great this season defensively and in every way....except for the technical issue earlier.

The thing Whiteside has that is never going to change is a 7'7" wingspan and a 9'6" standing reach. Combine that with a sculpted 275 lb body (he does work out all the time) and great hops and athleticism and you have the foundation of a great big man. He'll never be a Larry Bird out there with his lack of basketball iq. But he has made himself a tremendous defensive difference-maker.

The question we all have is what will he do when he gets his big money. In my opinion, up until now, I've been very convinced that we shouldn't pay him anything close to max money because of the dough-dough factor. But.....I am wondering...in light of the salary cap going up so much...what is his deal going to look like a couple years from now.

His starting salary on a max deal this summer will be around $20 million. That would be salaries of $20, 20.9, 21.8, and 22.7. If the cap rises to $120 million in 2017 like they are predicting it to, that means a 5 year free agent would be eligible for a starting salary around $26-27 million. That's over $81 million just for 3 seasons.

So, I don't know. He may turn out to be decent value on his max value contract if the cap continues to escalate through 2017.

The question is...how much can he regress? I don't think he's got the partying issue that guys like Sanders have. So I don't think he'll get totally stupid off the court. It's more about what he can regress to on-the-court. I suppose he could have a freak injury and lose his athleticism over night. But that could happen to anybody. That's a built in risk that is taken on every long-term contract signing. He could decide to goof off and not put in work. I suppose that would regress him ..... maybe .... 20% or so off what he is this year. Would he still be worth his contract?

I have a difficult time seeing Whiteside regressing on-court to half what he is now except by serious debilitating injuries. Because that 7'7" wingspan and 9'6" standing reach isn't going to shorten up any. And he isn't going to magically turn into a 220 lb wimp again.

The bigger question I have with Whiteside possibly coming here is.... fit. Hey if Dwight don't fit....have you seen Whiteside set picks???? Oh, he'll do it. But he's slow getting around and diving under. How about when he gets the defensive rebound and throws the outlet pass??? Ever watch that? He just stands there on the defensive end and watches the play. Only after they settle down into a half-court set does he come loping over half-court.

Maybe that's what Harden wants. Just block shots, defend the rim, gobble up boards and stay out of the way unless we have to set up. But...I can't see Thibs going for that. I can hear Thibs barking like a chained up doberman at Whiteside to "Move!!!". And I can't see Whiteside responding to that.....especially after he gets $80+ million.

Just to put 9'6" standing reach into perspective a little bit for you. That's 4 inches more reach than Nerlens Noel, 3 inches more than Dwight Howard, an inch longer than DeAndre Jordan, and an inch longer than Shaq.

And I'll add this. I'd rather pay Whitside max dollars than to pay Andre Drummond max dollars. In fact, I don't think Drummond is worth max dollars. And I would not sign Drummond under any circumstances except to trade him to somebody else for other assets. Drummond is mentally weak. Hassan is stupid. But he isn't mentally weak. I'd rather have stupid than weak. I'm convinced Whiteside is the better big man who will impact winning more than Drummond will.

And also............Morey might discount blocks.....but I doubt Morey discounts THIS MANY BLOCKS! Many of these are back-to-backs, and also coming down in defensive transition. These are stellar plays. And then look how he controls so many of these blocks without just knocking it into the second row. He's a stinking menace around the rim.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KiCeZeeXbqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't know what he'll do after he gets his contract but he's been very, very good this season and last. Miami is one of the very best rim protecting teams in the Association and he's a huge part of why they are.

#87 basketballholic, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

^ Good post,

regarding fit, say you do get a team of Durant + Harden.... I don't think fit on offense is going to be a worry for us.

Play defense, get rebounds, set picks, catch lobs, and try not to clog up the paint.

Basically everything we were hoping Dwight Howard would be.

Whiteside has a 10ish foot jumper, extend that to like 15 feet and we have ourselves a no brainer.

9. basketballholic

I'm talking about defensive fit with guys like Thibs. Don't know if HW even fits on the defensive end with a lot of coaches. Miami and Spoelstra are coaching him up in a very controlled manner. When he screwed up against Boston, Wade came out in the media and sent the message very clearly that that kindof activity would get him off the roster. It wasn't yelling and screaming. Just very matter of fact. And Whiteside responded.

Whiteside is a big goofball. Don't know how else to explain his personality. He's a goof. I'm not sure he'll respond to yelling and screaming every night. (Frankly, I have just as difficult a time seeing Harden responding to yelling and screaming every game too.)

10. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I like Whiteside, but don't think he's worth the max in today's game. Good post basketballholic and a number of good points.
    More interestingly, you seem certain Thibs will be coach next season. Care to share?
    And regarding Whiteside, what makes people think a: Miami will let him leave and b: Whiteside is willing to come to Houston?
    Would a trade with 76's for a Noel's be more favorable? (he's paid around $4.5mill pa)

11. basketballholic

I'm not certain at all on Thibs. I threw him out there because other posters are bringing up Thibs. Frankly, like I said above, I have a difficult time seeing James Harden signing off on Thibs as coach UNLESS he has a meeting with Thibs and Thibs tells him he can just play with his junk on the defensive end and lay in the weeds for steals. You know.....what he's doing now.

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I personally don't see Whiteside leaving Miami. They have the perfect organization for him, aside from like the Spurs.

But imo Whiteside is definitely worth the max, Gobert is worth the max (around 20m per)

If Dwight could be a DPOY candidate like he was in Orlando, he would be worth the max (and we also wouldn't have the worst defense)

You pay the max for elite rim protection imo, especially with the cap rising.

Either way, again don't see him leaving Miami unless they underbid, which if he keeps this up, they won't.

13. basketballholic

Whiteside is better than Gobert...both defensively and offensively.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

His jumper is already fairly reliable out to 15 feet (free throw line). He also started using this same form while shooting FT's and as a result, is shooting 80% from the line in March.

15. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Here is the craziest idea yet. Just read an article that talks about how the heat have 45M this summer.

Imagine if they find a way to trade Dragic

a team of

Tayler Johnson? Wade, Durant, Bosh, and Whiteside,

with a bench of Winslow, Josh Richardson

Would be more enticing, considering the easier road to the Finals, than anything the Rockets can offer

16. basketballholic

Whiteside is just as efficient out to the 3-point line as Horford is. Horford does shoot the 3 and Whiteside doesn't. But Whiteside does have shooting capacity.

17. basketballholic

I'd rather pay Whiteside $83 million over the next 4 years than to pay Horford $115 million over the next 4 seasons.

18. DuDDleyDawsonII

Wade's age and, Bosh's health don't seem appealing to me.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

How much more will Horford cost per single season assuming both are getting the max?

20. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Do it. Get Rondo and Cousins as well. Rename team The Bad Boys. The sequel.