1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should target Hassan Whiteside as the second max

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 28, 2016.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

That Dennis Rodman is never gonna win a ring...........again!!!!

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why would anyone want to throw at Whitside before Horford?

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Horford, barring another injury, is the golden boy of bigs this summer. There's nothing as valuable as him unless you count Durant as a big.

4. rockets13champs

i want
    plan A
    durant, howard, conley with tom thibs

plan B
    barnes, howard

plan C

Horford, Barnes

Plan D

Parsons, Barnes

Plan E
    Tank For Giles

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets will come up with a list of players they feel are worth the max, and I doubt there are any restricted players on it (Beal/Drummond). I expect the Rockets this time act fairly fast with atleast one of their two max deals.

I hope they make very quick contact with Mike Conley and see if he can be gotten for 18-20 million a year. If there is mutual interest then sign him ASAP. Conley is a veteran, that is very mentally tough and works hard. Whoever the Rockets next coach is will like Conley. He hits open 3's, is a good defender, can play on and off the ball and doesn't turn the ball over.

Once Conley is signed they need to decide how realistic Durant is. I personally expect him to opt in for one year in OKC and enter the market in 2018. If that is the case then the Rockets have to consider their options. Would Horford sign? Is Whiteside a fit? If the Clippers implode, do they go after Jordan?

Personally I hope they don't go after a max center. The game has evolved quite a bit. I suspect the Rockets can develop a 4/5 center and solidify the defense at the other spots.

Ideally you have: Conley/Harden/Ariza/Beasley/(some guy on a short deal)

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

No no no...

Plan A: Horford and Durant thinbs and smaller fa

Plan B: Horford and Conley

Plan c: Barnes and Conley I actually like this one.

Plan d: Barnes and parsons

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Wrong as well.

Plan A: Durant and Horford
    Plan B: Durant and Conley
    Plan C: Durant and Barnes
    Plan D: Durant and Whiteside

Anyhow, if Whiteside knows what's good for him, he will stay in Miami and have DJ Khaled lead him down the pathway of more success.

8. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Why throw the max at a position that matters less than any time in history.
    There isn't even the 5 spot on the all star ballot anymore.
    Teams going small ball.
    And Houston doesn't use Howard enough (or properly) in many people's opinion - so why replace a max Howard with a max Whiteside?
    Money could be better spent somewhere where impact can be made.
    We can pick up a 5 on the cheap somewhere else.

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

hmm what has you thinking LLull is coming over? Bev is another problem..he's a houndog but like Dominique Wilkens said a couple weeks ago he should be coming off the bench where he can be really effective...just my opinion...I like him too but...

10. Remlap

Remlap Member

How about this?

Plan A - NO Barnes
    Plan B - NO Barnes
    Plan C - NO Barnes
    Plan D - NO Barnes

Please don't make me have to watch him in a Rox uni

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

BAD BAD BAD.

Enough?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree. All the attention will only make him get better. I don't get why people think he will change once he gets paid. Did I miss something? I don't recall him being in a lot of trouble.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He has a knack for fighting and has a ton of arrogance. Mean spirited to the less prominent opponents.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not have a good and long term feeling about him

Very likely that he fizzles out in a couple of years, injures himself and declines like Dwight Howard

The blocks per game is very intriguing but that is all, you cannot win a championship with blocking shots - it helps in game situations for sure

12-13 million a year or no deal - I know he would command much more

We can go on and find the next Whiteside with more skills, and or shooting

15. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Signing Whiteside to the full max would be the dumbest move of all time.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Correct. As the old adage goes - the exception proves the rule.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A lot of Mike Conley love here, but I don't anticipate much time wasted on him. If he leaves Memphis, there are other teams more likely to snag him.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with this, i just don't see him in Houston, whether he stays in Memphis or not.

Overall i think Dwight is gone, and Morey will try to sign KD and Horford, Whiteside may be an option as a plan B...i'm still not sure what is the right price to sign him, but someone will probably put a max on the table, there'll be some desperate teams willing to use the money this summer, no doubt about this.

19. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

What is the big difference between Whiteside and Capela? I'd rather have Capela for 1/20th of the salary and potentially similar production if he is able to get starter's minutes with Dwight gone. Has everyone fallen off of Clint?

20. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I like Capea but he has regressed. He's probably a couple of years away from being a good starting center (he's a decent backup center). He's much cheaper of course. But Whiteside gives you 18.3/13.3/3.5 consistently now in 29 minutes. With a good defensive coach, you don't think we need or could use that? He helped hold down the fort for Miami after they lost bosh and they are playing well. And he's the small max, not the big one. I understand taking horford over him (il just concerned about horford bc he's 30 already). I don't think we'd maximize conley'd skill set with harden (although I would love to have him) and definitely not Barnes. Whiteside has a lot of risk, but he's looking like a center who is putting it together finally, and centers take longer to develop.