1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should target Hassan Whiteside as the second max

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rather than reaching a bit and paying Whiteside the max, I'd rather make the decision to not stack too many chips at center, and aim for a R. Lopez/Bogut caliber guy to pair with Capella.

That money is probably better spent elsewhere. But it depends who's coaching the team next year.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

You know why the Spurs are so damn good? Because they wouldn't even touch Boogie with a 10 ft pole, much less Whiteside.

There is a world of difference between a really great player, and a really great player that has the championship mentality.

Boogie will never win a ring.
    Whiteside will never win a ring.
    Carmelo will never win a ring.

Just like Stephen Marburry...Monta Ellis...Kevin Martin...Kevin Love....

Let's at least attempt to build for a championship. Whiteside, clear as day, is not a championship building block.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People said that about Stephen Jackson. And you're saying it about Kevin Martin. Who the Spurs HAVE. Lulz?

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

If durant were here, we're talking Whiteside as the 3rd best player on the team. If durant doesn't come (which is most likely the case but there's no reason to not hope), then he might be the second best depending on who we get. Asked another way, if Dwight were putting up Whiteside numbers this year, how would our team look? I get he's a headcase but he's getting better. Also if we trade him maybe we flip him for cousins later if cousins is traded. Defense and rebounding are two of our biggest issues. He would probably solve those.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

one player doesn't solve those issues. not even close

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agree...

Get the coach and system in place first...

Then go after the PLAYERS that can fit that system...

This is why every player cannot play with the spurs team.

T_Man

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This ******* would fit right next to our other *******. Put the nail in the coffin already.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Whiteside has a serious attitude problem and doesn't seem grateful to be playing in the NBA. He literally looks to commit flagrant fouls sometimes.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What are the chances this dude gets his money and becomes a Larry Sanders?

10. Mr. Motiejunas

Whiteside is not worth the max.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

More like this dude gets his money and decides to punch somebody in the face and get banned from the league. <<<< Much more probable.

12. hvic

hvic Member

Has Llull confirmed that he will be coming to the states?

13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

No. Not even sure if we can bring him over. His buyout is lower, but Rockets may not have the money if they use it for 2 max players (but if everyone turns them down...).

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This team desperately needs professionals with character and strong personal work ethic. A coach can instill that, but this team with or without such a coach is extremely deficient in that area.

So for me...no to Whiteside....can't wait around for him to get his head straight.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Whiteside won't solve our defensive problems. He doesn't even solve Miami's defensive problems and they are much more disciplined than us, Spo at least has a structure for the team. On our team, he'd be a total headcase. He'll be an incredible weapon for someone, but not for us. Our max contracts need to go to intelligent players that can overcome horrible coaching, rather than players that are uncoachable.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dennis Rodman. Stephen Jackson. Lloyd Daniels. Jackie Butler.

Two of those guys turned out to be contributors for the Spurs. Two of them didn't pan out. But let's not pretend that the Spurs aren't willing to gamble on knuckleheads too.

17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd agree the Spurs do take their fair share of calculated risks, but they have a culture and system to take those bets with limited risk. We have no such system or culture. The downside for Whiteside is far more costly to us than a team like the Spurs. So they don't "gamble" nearly as much as other nba teams imo even when they do gamble.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes. The Rockets will have the money to spend. Horford is a 2 way player that can play either PF or C. He has high BB IQ, can rebound, block shots, pass and shoot with range to the 3pt line. He doesn't demand the ball and can play high post PNR with Harden.

The totality of that skill-set is worth the max. His skill-set will age gracefully.

19. Ranny

Ranny Member

Nah I dont think Whiteside is a great idea. I think it would be a very risky bet. That doesnt mean he is not a great player or that doesnt have a bright future ahead of him, but his personality and past issues make him a bet i would not be willing to take.

I know and agree that our very first choice will be to go after Durant, but its a long shot, and one that is likely not going to happen for us unless our pitch is just awesome, so if that doesn't work out I have a crazy idea.....

Harden is our de facto PG right? that is likely not going to change, and we saw what happened this season with Lawson, how bad he looked without the ball so i would be very hesitant of pursuing a "high end" PG like Conley because it is possible that something similar could happen, well maybe not so disastrous, but maybe Conley wouldn't be as effective as he is in Memphis if he is not the main ball handler, and of course we are not and should not trade Harden, so why dont we just pursue a shooting guard instead? If Durant doesn't pan out i would go all in on DeRozan, he is likely opting out, he has the right age, attitude, he is an all star and he knows how to play off the ball, the main downside is that he is not a 3 point shooter.

Another alternative to this approach would be Beal. He is restricted and would require a very aggressive offer to snatch him from the Wiz, but he also fits the bill, and is a better 3 point shooter then DeRozan.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

pass.

the heat's defense is worse when he's in the game. empty stats. can't get himself back into the starting lineup. attitude problems.

on top of that, after dwight i believe that only go-to players deserve the max. who you gonna give the ball to with 1 shot left? if harden gets trapped who else can win us the game? howard? whiteside? good luck.

give me capela at $2M over whiteside at $20M anyday.