1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should pick up Isiah Rider

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alimoe84, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Only the people that saw the John Thompson and Isiah Rider interview this evening can really understand where I'm coming from. I think the Rockets should take a chance on this guy. Kenny and Charles had mixed opinions. Charles said he should be given a shot with a bad team so that he can be a mentor to the young players so that they dont make the same mistakes he made early on in his career. Kenny thought he should be given a shot with a good team because if it didn't work out they could always cut him and no harm done. During his interview he sounded like a changed man...believe me, John Thompson was rough on him too. He sounded like he's matured and understands all of the things it takes to be successful in this league.

He would be perfect for the Rockets! Eric Piatkowski and Bostjan Nachbar have both had opportunities to man down that role off the bench. Neither have been able to keep the job. Rider could do for the Rockets what Jim Jackson did for the Kings last year. He could be that 7th or 8th guy in the rotation. He knows that JVG doesnt take crap and that this is Steve and Yao's team. If it didnt work out we could cut him and no harm done! Would you guys go after him?

2. studogg

studogg Member

I didn't see the interview but i did see the discussion afterwords. They were very appreciative that Thompson asked those questions and seemed to mutually agree that he did stand a shot in the nba. Where was the question.

With that said. I don't believe he fits anywhere in this team. If I am going to take a rider on a player, it is going to be at a position that we need to fill more than shooting guard.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

Like Magic said, he should play in the summer league or the NBDL first, no GM would want to take the risk before he can proven himself.

4. carlos

carlos Member

If Francis or Mobely is traded, and of course dependent on who we receive in return, then taking a chance on Rider might be acceptable.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

He can definately play ball. No doubt about it. But The Rockets are in no position to give someone a chance. Our ride has already had some bumps.

6. yaopao

yaopao Member

Rider is pretty old now. The only thing he had was athleticism. I don't see him being too athletic after not playing for 2 years.

7. MFW2310

MFW2310 Member

The same Isiah Rider who's off court antics make Sheed, Eddie Griffin (ewwwww) and Spree look like choir boys?

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's been playing over seas.

And how did he get ran out of the NBA anyway? I remember he always had an attitude problem but I don't distinctly remember any real serious incidents involving him. I mean right now in the NBA there is Sprewell who choked a coach, Kobe up for a rape charge, Ruben Patterson who was charged with raping his baby sitter or something, a plethora of spouse beaters, lots of drunk drivers and people caught with marijauna. I really just don't remember Rider being any worse than all of that. Perhaps I should search for old articles.

9. Houstone

Houstone Member

Why not just trade Pike for Ruben Patterson or something.

10. notafaker

notafaker Member

1 why do you want wack azz Ruben Patterson.

2 Why would you trade your 2 or 3 best player for a guy thats risky

3 We have no need for Rider cause we don't wanna play the guards

Don't get me wrong I think Rider should get another chance but not with the Rockets

11. Yetti

Yetti Member

Get him now so that he could be in shape for a run in the playoffs. Any gaame in which Jackson or Mobley are not playing well then we plug Rider into that spot, otherwise he could be on the back up squad.

12. birat

birat Member

I say yes..

13. montgo

montgo Member

Yes to Rider!

He could be the diamond in the rough..it really is not risk. sign him to a 10-day minimum and see what happens. as far as his whackiness, measure that too and the instant anything is detected funky, move on.

his upside could be huge!!!!!!!!!!! he is contrite about his past and would seem worth the risk. He will not infect this team because the spotlight is on him. and if he starts his bongisms or any other funnny business...he is gone and is career in the NBA is over for certain...so he is definitely motivated.....

How old is he? 30 something

14. JoeBarelyCares

How about Harold Miner?

15. GATER

GATER Member

I didn't see the interview, but Rider will turn 33 next month. His last job was 173 minutes as a 2001-02 Denver Nugget where he averaged 9.3 ppg over 10 games.

Prior to that, Riders last productive season was with the 99-00 Hawks where he took .51 shots per minute. Assuming he could still shoot with the same accuracy as he could 5 years ago, he would be taking 9.6 shots in 18 minutes off of the bench. Way to many for a team taking 75 shots per game. It would be a great feel good story, just not in Houston. Very bad fit.

16. Jebus

Jebus Member

Yes to baby Jordan!

17. dharocks

dharocks Member

I knew someone would come up with this after watching that TNT interview...

Hell, let's trade for Rod Strickland, sign Shawn Kemp, Dennis Rodman and Vin Baker, and pursue Sheed in the offseason. And hey, NVE says he wants to play in Texas, why not?

We don't need headcases.