1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We said about Francis what we are saying about Lewis!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sofine81, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I know this an old topic, but I went back did some searching on the reaction to the IDEA, of Francis being with Houston. I wasnt a member at the time I was only a lurcker and I had limted knowledge of Steve st the time.

However my point is that some thought we had enough scorers, Well here I copied it off,

I think a guy like Francis would be beneficial to the Rockets, but not while they're still trying to go for another championship. For now, we need a role point guard who can run the floor and dish out assists, like Bibby (although he is not on the trading block).

What if we had settled for enough scorers then? We would be soo far down the list it wouldnt even be funny, Im saying we should take the chance, Im just asking what if we hadnt taken the chance on Steve? Are we willing to pass him up a second time?

I hope I didnt jump on and try and ride a dead horse and make alot of people mad at me...and if the "crew" dont think the subject is worth talking about, it wont hurt my feelings if they lock...But I was interested in seeing what you guys thought.

2. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I'm happy that Stevie came to the Rockets. If Rashard came, I'd be happy too. But Steve came to Houston at the right price. Question is, will Rashard at MCE. It's been reported that if he opts out of Seatle, he likes Dallas over Houston, so it's really up to him. At least Stevie chose Houston.

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

This is very true and I like your point....But I wonder what would happen if Houston put up a fight? I know they have talked to Houston, They being Lewis and his agent..but has Houston showed any interest at all in Lewis?

Basically the point of my thread is that We said We dont really need Francis we have enough scorers, and that is the main arugment I have heard for not picking him up; is that we have enough scorers. Im just trying to put that to rest!

4. Greg M

Greg M Member

So you're comparing a team with an aging Dream and Barkley to one with young players who haven't even reached the top of their games? Plus you compare Francis to Lewis?

I don't see how this analogy has merit. The situations are completely different.

5. Stevie Francis

are you saying that we should gamble on having to many scorers on 1 team, and you think it might work out....maybe wouldn't hurt to try, because if they wanna win that bad they would be ok with this.

6. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

First of all I knew there would be someone who would say something like I was comparing the 2, HEAVENs no....Im not even saying the situations are the same, in comparison to personel,

The point Im making is we all said we didnt need another scorer then, but it turned out ok...and now everyone is saying we dont need another scorer but it can still turn out.

Besides NOone mentioned age back then all they said was that they would rather have Bibby since he didnt shot as much and wouldnt demand the ball. So now 3 yrs later your saying lets get a defensive minded, passing and rebounding SF, But hey it worked with Francis and it could work with Lewis.

The NBA is a place where everything can chance with a fall, we may need to be prepared!

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets are going to run with a team with Ming, Griffin and Francis at the core, then they need nice, complementary role players at a good price on the wings. Cuttino and Nachbar fit that. Rashard does not. I don't see Rashard being a patient complementary player and his price tag is a problem. The Rice and Cato money will go to tie up Griffin and Ming in the future, and we will pick up role players at fair prices for those spots. The only way to spend more on the Rashard spot is to move Taylor, and you also have to find a serviceable replacement in his spot. You could argue KT might be that guy. I don't really see Taylor moving to Seattle, however, so there's no money for both.

8. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well I hope our team is that great and we dont have problems arise this year, I think we have a deep team, but with Lewis we have the DEEPEST!

9. Greg M

Greg M Member

Ever hear of too many cooks in the kitchen? When Francis came on board, the scoring options were Dream and Chuck. Another scorer was in fact needed back then. If Lewis comes on board, he'll be taking shots away from Francis, Cat, Yao and the PF combo and that's not even taking into consideration the financial restraints. There just aren't enough balls or bills to go around.

10. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

You hit the ball out of the park with this post very insitefull...:cool:

11. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

The other difference between then and now is that we had older players back then, nowwe have young players who for the most part aren't even in their prime yet. These players that we have now (Mobley and Francis) are also proven scorers, that's the key difference.

12. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

You failed to say how you were going to get Lewis, or I just did not read it. He has to be a sign and trade to come to Houston and Seattle wants Griffin [No way in hell I would trade Griffin for Lewis]. Lewis has already said if it is not a sign and trade he prefers to be in Dallas. What is wrong with the S/F we now have?

13. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Let me take SoFine's side for a moment by saying that any team that does not take the best possible players to fit their needs is a team that doesn't deserve a championship. I like Rice, and Boki, TMo well, eh maybe. But if Rashard was available to us at a reasonable cost, tell me you would not play start him before any of the others I've mentioned. Rashard starts while we breed Boki. I believe within a couple of years Boki will be either at least very good or great, so if Rashard wants to leave, then fine because no way in hell he's gonna get the MAX here. But to have him for a couple of years or so would be better than not. To this respect, I would agree with SoFine. And now back to reality, Rashard wants more than the Rockets can offer so he's not coming.

14. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I wouldnt want to give up Eddie for Lewis, I dont know what deal I would like to see come together, I guess ANYthing with KT in it, works for me.

Also HoRockets, thank you veiwing my point obejetivley, Also I agree with your points

15. ebu

ebu Member

KT and Wizard for Lewis
    good trade

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I dont think Williams is on our team anymore

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Sofine, I agree with the thrust of your argument, but I don't think "we have enough scorers" is the primary reason some posters don't want Lewis.

I think HoRockets and Pasox2 sum it up best though.

Off-topic: Sofine, how did you search through threads older than one year ago? I've tried digging up old threads in the past, but was unsuccessful in getting to them.

18. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Off-topic answer, The place where you go to search for a the post from a year ago, they will have a another little word clip that says from the begening, click that button, then just hit the double arrow and it takes you back like 3 or 4 yrs, Im not too good with computers maybe someone will be able to tell you better than I

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We don't know if Rice can still play, and we don't yet know if Boki or Tmo will turn out to be good players.

20. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well I can answer your question about TMO I think this guy was the biggest bust since,,,,,Turkan!