1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to step up the James Harden All-Star push

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Didn't realize I could do 10 tweets a day.

Done.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you have a link to the formula they use

It's weighted 50% for fans vote and 25% each for player and media

What I can't find is if they use a formula where fans votes are counted as tallied and player/!media votes are then extrapolated by some multiplier to equal a "loud" fan vote and then the three numbers added up (at 50-25-25 weighting) ... or if they use a point system based on rank for the three voting group. Like 20 points for winning the fan vote, 10 for winning player vote and 10 to win media vote. Then 18, 9, 9 for second, 16, 8, 8 for third and so on.

If it's a point system based on rank, then getting 1st, 2nd or third is a significant difference in a close race. If it is based on total votes, then being behind Westbrook by 10,000 fan votes is rather insignificant, since a single player vote would be worth roughly 10,000 fan votes. (e.g. 9,000,000 fan votes / 450 player / 2 for weighting equals 10,000)

Here is an example of scoring based on total votes rather than a point system:
    FanVotes
    Plus
    PlayerVotes * (TotalFanVotes / TotalPlayerVotes) / 2
    Plus
    MediaVotes * (TotalFanVotes / TotalMediaVotes) / 2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    = total votes

DonKnock likes this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The fan vote just shows you that fans shouldn't have the right to vote. Democracy has failed.

(Make the all-star game great again!)

4. malakas

malakas Member

It is based on rank.
    example : a player gets 1st in fan votes 6th in players and 4th in media
    His score will be 1+1(fan votes) + 6 +4 /4= 3
    The ones who have the lowest score go in. If you have same score, the one who has the most fan votes go in.

That's why the raw numbers of votes dont matter. What matters is the order.
    Harden for sure will be top 2 in media and players vote. So even if he's no.3 in fans iti's not a problem imo.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Surely Morey could've given them a better formula than that

Tha_Dude likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

you can't. Only one tweet for Harden a day counts. You can vote for 9 other players though.

7. malakas

malakas Member

no thats a formula on purpose to not have the Zazas of the future in.
    Otherwise if someone got 1mil more fan votes he would get in even if he was a roleplayer. Now no matter how many more he won't make it.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Oh really?

Damn I just tweeted like 15 people to be safe

malakas likes this.
  9. heypartner

Do you have a link to the formula used?

10. malakas

malakas Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-nba-all-star-game/?utm_term=.c8dde370fd71

"Because the voting formula is based off a weighted average of where a player finishes in each voting category, the total vote count a player receives is irrelevant. So, for example, if Durant finishes first in fan voting among Western Conference forwards, then second among media voting and fourth among player voting, the average would work like this: 1+1+2+4, which equals eight. That number would then be divided by four, giving Durant a weighted average of two. The three Western Conference frontcourt players with the lowest weighted average would then be named the All-Star starters. Players that receive no votes, either by the players or the media — here’s looking at you, Zaza — would be placed at the bottom of the list, thereby destroying their average."

Exacty as I said.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. heypartner

Trust me: a formula based on total votes with media and players being loud votes is better than the point system based on rank that you posted. Both ways will stop Zaza from getting in. But the total vote method is better for Harden beating out Curry.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Now is Zaza. Next years it can be a chinese roleplayer and have 2 million more votes. Only with the rank system he can't get in NO MATTER how many votes he has.

But we will see in a few hours when the second results will be released.

13. heypartner

No. Both systems will knock out Zaza. As long as players and media get loud votes, these role players will never make it.

Did you see the formula I posted. This will knock out Zaza too. But it gives Harden a better chance of beating Curry or Westbrook in the event fans vote him 3rd. Forget about Zaza, I prefer the formula that gets WB and Harden in this year and hurts old Kobes or future old Lebrons who still win fan votes. You're too focused on Zaza, which was solved with any formula that include players and media.

This formula is better

FanVotes
    Plus
    PlayerVotes * (TotalFanVotes / TotalPlayerVotes) / 2
    Plus
    MediaVotes * (TotalFanVotes / TotalMediaVotes) / 2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    = total votes

This formula devalues fan votes even more than a rank system

14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Zaza had A LOT of fan votes last season also. The joke was everyone in Georgia was voting for him.
    Same applies with Lin a few years back (probably every year) with the Asian vote.

But neither will get in with the formula used even if they were 1st in fan vote. Whilst I don't know the formula, that what I've been reading/seeing specifically with Zaza.

So the fan vote is nice and feels like people have a vote, when in reality we don't.

15. heypartner

@malakas Here's what I'm talking about.

If Curry wins fan vote he is a lock and one of WB or Harden must lose out

1+1+3+3 = 2.00 for Curry
    2+2+2+2 = 2.00 for WB or Harden
    3+3+1+1 = 2.00 for Harden or WB

And you said Fan Vote breaks ties, so 3rd Place fan vote would lose, or 2nd Place loses if he gets a 2-2-3-2 and the 3rd sweeps player and media votes.

With this Rank formula, Curry can not be knocked out if he wins the fan vote, as even a 1st place sweep of Player and Media by the 3rd place fan vote player will not get him in, no matter if players and media vote Curry third

But there are many scenarios where my Total Vote formula allows both WB and Harden to beat out Curry, when the three are in a tight race for fan votes, which they are as of now. The rank system has a flaw similar to Electoral College in presidential voting that can allow the Old Kobes to still make it every year. That is as important as preventing the Zaza

#55 heypartner, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    malakas, DonKnock and Tha_Dude like this.
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

All star voting is a dirty business.

17. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Isn't all-star weekend meant for the fans, and not so much the players nor media? I mean I don't even watch the events, maybe catch a nasty dunk or two on youtube. Both the rookie vs sophomore as well as all-star game are absolute jokes, I don't really care who can hit the most 3s in a given 60 seconds of time, the dunk contest has been lack-luster and devoid of the stars we saw back in the 90s, the skills contest is an absolute joke, and I have no idea if they do the celebrity, teen, NBA, WNBA, retired player contest thing anymore but yeah, the event itself is a soul-sucking experience for non-casual basketball fans.

I could care less if Harden makes it in as a starter. This is the same contest where Kobe was starting when he was obviously undeserving on merits. Where Yao was starting when he wasn't suited up the entire season of 2011. But who cares? That's what the fans want to see. You think it really diminishes Tim Duncan's career that Yao "started" over him that year? Wade and Melo have been hogging up starter spots for years when other guys have been making a greater team impact.

You want actual accolades based on merit? Look towards all-NBA team selections. Encourage the media to vote Harden for MVP, Gordon for most improved, D'Antoni for COY, Morey for GM of the year. Those are the actual awards knowledgeable basketball fans care about when looking at hardware.

18. malakas

malakas Member

If Curry makes it as a starter it won't be the end of the world and not a huge injustice. It's not like Zaza or Kobe last year. He deserves to be an all star anyway.
    I think this formula used right now has the right balance. After all it is for the fans. If the fans want a player and the media and players think he's no.3 then why not start by any means? Otherwise just take away the fan vote alltogether.

BTW neither your formula or this one will save us from old man Kobe cases. Because the players have indicated to be as illogical or even more when voting than the fans You think last year they wouldn't have voted for Kobe? lol

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I AM DETECTING STRONG SIGNALS OF HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US

-DEVELOPING-​

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I propose an NBA all-star electoral college, which will allow Golden State Warriors votes to be represented in California and peripheral bandwagon states, but will allow under-hyped candidates to be fully represented in this system.

:p