1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need someone other than Nix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by backwardhead, Oct 8, 2022.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm sure Nix is a nice guy but he is painful and frustrating to watch as the back up. He's obviously not an NBA level talent, that's ok, but let's help him find other employment and bring a veteran PG in.

I know there is a lot of TyTy love on this board so the moment you see "We need someone other than Nix" you think "we already got him!"

I'm not against TyTy, but this team is showing so much potential right now (after 2 preseason games) I'm feeling like finding a legit veteran back PG could go a long way to helping us take the next step into the future of winning.

I'm not suggesting going after a starter either (like when the Suns got CP3). I'm really hoping Stone and co. can find a veteran PG to back up KPJ because Nix is (Charles Barkley voice) "turrable. He slower than them churro eaten San Antonio women."

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets don’t need a veteran back up point guard. They need to dump veterans and play their young players.

Bo6, RocketsTerps, Spacemoth and 25 others like this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Nix playing at all in regular season until Gordon is traded.
    We already have 4 guards in Gordon Christopher Green and KPJ.

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Josh should get Nix’s minutes

RocketsTerps likes this.
  5. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

we need to see a lot more Tyty, that's what.

we just drafted a dude in the first round and he's playing 9 minutes in a preseason game.

but sure, let's see what some random journeyman can do.

6. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I like Josh but he doesn't seem to make anyone better IMO.

napalm06 and Yung-T like this.
  7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We are so stacked this is the only spot I could think of for Josh to play. Maybe they should pair him with Tate and let Tate run the second unit.

8. conquistador#11

Vinny Del Tate can do the playmaking for the second unit, 28 minutes super sub.

Bo6, Hank McDowell and backwardhead like this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This. I'm fine if we lose a few close games because we didn't have a backup PG for those 15 minutes when KPJ is off the court.

I agree that Nix doesn't look ready. Using JC as our backup PG helps us play the 10 guys who seem to be most deserving of a rotation spot as of now.

KPJ/JC
    Green/Gordon
    Tate/KJ Martin
    Jabari/Tari
    Sengun/Bruno

Those seem to be our best 10 players. Unless we trade someone I think this makes our cuts really easy. Anyone else who isn't a high upside or trade asset can be cut.

cmlmel77, ashleyem and maj21 like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Nope. Let’s start Nix over KPJ. We need to keep the going hard for Wemby!!!!!

12. xaos

xaos Member

Some of yall focus on the wrong stuff

Bo6, clos4life and Zen Tabak like this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't like Nix, but I'm also not stressed about it. During the season, the rotation will condense to 9 - 10. KPJ / Green / Gordon / Smith / Sengun / Christopher / Tate / KMJ / Eason / Bruno will be the primary ten. Garuba and Mathews will also play some minutes. There just won't be that many minutes left over for Nix to make much of a difference either way.

14. dmoneybangbang

Not a concern this season, better to let Nix run backup point while TyTy is leading the g league at point.

In the realms of possibility Nix is packaged with EG mid season.

glimmertwins and backwardhead like this.
  15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Nix is the worst pg in the nba….period. He’s slow, can’t shoot, awful at free throws, gets burned on defense almost every time. He’s just too darn slow and not in great shape. This team has done everything right this off season except for their love affair with this scrub. They have eyes….what are we missung: 1/10 shooting, 3-6 free throws, no defense. He also has a mental issue where he almost always bricks his first free throw and then twicks the next one. He is the definition of a g-league player and not the main backup on an NBA squad.

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

FYI….no need for this post because I did the same one the other day titled “Nix Not Good Enough”

17. H. Christopher

Tyty is better than Nix

AroundTheWorld and clos4life like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but that doesn't say much. He had his struggles last night too including several terrible passes. Thus far it doesn't look like either of them is the answer at the backup 1

H. Christopher likes this.
  19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

He is all apart of Stone's genius master plan of tanking. Build his value, and by the time his contract is up, he'll be a servicable backup. this is how rebuilding works

clos4life and Rox_fan_here like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

The backup point guard is already on the team. He's just starting at the moment.

Hank McDowell and glimmertwins like this.