1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

We need better defense start Ariza at 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Dec 16, 2015.

1. rockets13champs

We need better starts to each quarter i think for the time being before we trade for an established 4 we need to put ariza at the 4.
    C Howard
    PF Ariza- can help dwight on defense. Which he needs desperately
    SF Brewer or Thornton
    SG Harden
    PG Beverley.
    This will probably help us on the defensive end. But this is a pretty streaky group on offense but ariza and brewer will allow alot of transition buckets for us.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think DMo is progressing just fine. He'll be able to start with Dwight soon enough and not just play solid defense but stretch the floor and provide some offensive relief for Harden.

3. omgTHEpotential

It can work against smaller lineups. But mostly NO.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMA, Blake, AD and almost every other PF in the West says THANK YOU

5. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

the thought of brewer starting makes me want to throw this computer

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Disagree, I thought the twin towers works. JB just doesn't go back to it. We were killing the Wizards small ball lineup and then he goes away and brings in Mr. Low BBball IQ (T Jones). No hustle, nothing!!!

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if they give effort the twin towers will eventually be perfect ocne dmo is ready. and ariza is waaaaaaay over-used in houston, this and last season. i dont want to put a bigger load on him and force to play pf. thats a godo way to get him injured. it wotn do jack sht anyway since the team only plays nba level basketball in short spurts. u need to fix that first before injuring our best wing defender

8. rockets13champs

We we did win those games against when ariza was out excluding brooklyn which was in hands of hardens free throw shooting and our defensive rebounding

9. rockets13champs

This shows how much an established 4 can do.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ariza is over-used. Rockets need to figure out something for SF. Half the lineups with at least 29 minutes that yield a positive +/- still have Ariza at PF.

DMo, Capela, and Ariza should split the minutes at PF. It is on Morey to give JB an option at the SF.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I feel like I'm in an episode of twilight zone where ****ty play is continuously rewarded with extra minutes and a better role.

Brewer should be getting 0 minutes right now based on his play. If he's not playing defense or hitting 3's, put McDaniels in there. At least McDaniels might improve during the season given his age. At least McDaniels can get more rebounds and play slightly better defense.

Let's stick with Howard, DMo, Capela and spot minutes for Jones when we need his 3pt shooting (he's shooting 39% this season, career high). That's a very very god rotation.

12. photojoe

photojoe Member

We need better rebounding don't start Ariza at 4.

13. blunto

blunto Member

I don't know if he's over used per se, but you're definitely correct that he's already used at the 4 a lot so far this season.

The top five most effective lineups (by net points) have Ariza at the 4, with either Dwight or Capela at the 5.

From a matchup perspective, starting him at the 4 doesn't make a ton of sense, but sliding him over when teams go small makes plenty of sense.
    • Kawhi runs at the 4
    • Durant runs at the 4
    • LeBron runs at the 4
    • Harrison Barnes goes to the 4 when Draymond goes 5
    • Ariza isn't terrible on Blake at the 4
    Even in spot minutes against bigger PFs, it can work. OKC ran Durant at the 4 against the Grizz on December 8th, heads up with ZBo. OKC ran away with the lead with that lineup. Of course, Ariza is no Durant, but the point is: OKC played their game, irrespective of size at the 4, and it worked.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He is good at the 4 but he also gets worn out.

Plus if he's not in with Dwight we get killed on the boards

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

first off lol

brewer's strenght isnt threes or defense, its transition and off ball play. he's inconsistent but he's been doign just that for quite a bit now. dec avg's 11ppg on 43fg% and 37 3pt%. he's also taking too many threes at 4-5 this month. he shouldnt be taking no more than 3.

16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I said it before and i'll said it again

C Howard
    PF Capela
    SF Ariza
    SG Thornton
    PG Harden

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

beverley has been ballin since he got in the starting lineup. 12ppg and over 2 three makes a game, 47fg%, 40 3pt%. and thornton isnt gonna defend pgs as well as bev. i'd rather he be the 6th man to assure no scoring drop off when harden or dwight are benched

maybe even motie should come off the bench too for awhile. an inside-out game from both units. until mid-jan.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Speaking of 4s...I think it's time to realize that T Jones is a backup 3, not a starting 4. I'm not saying he's good at it, I'm saying that's how he plays. Handles, stands at the 3 pt line, drives and has shown some ability to kick it out...honestly, he's a bulky left handed Ariza.

Bev, Law
    Harden, Thorn
    Ariza, Jones
    Dmo, Capela
    Dwight

Talk about moving people, let's move Brewer to the nearest bench. That would have a more significant impact than putting Ariza in the wrong place. I loved how the other night JBB pulled the whole lineup and put in everyone on the bench except KJ McDaniels. What does the guy have to do? Damn.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

[​IMG]

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Howard/Capela is the 5/4 lineup that has worked thus far.

I agree with using Ariza at the 4 selectively.

But Howard/Capela needs to be used more. They were +12 in the first quarter against the Kings. The second Howard was subbed for TJones, they went -5.

JB has been HORRENDOUS at lineups and rotations. His one saving grace was going to Howard/Capela in the first place... but he has now gone away from it.

I can only assume his philosophy is try a **** ton of lineups... nothing is working great anyway, maybe I'll luck into something that is stellar and save myself a head coaching job in the NBA. Otherwise he has no chance at being this teams coach next year.