1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a rebounder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gideon, Dec 3, 2000.

1. Gideon

Gideon Member

Top priority this summer? Get someone who can clear the glass. We have absolutely nobody. That's pathetic. What is our highest rebounding average? 6? When we won our championships if Hakeem wasn't getting boards, then OT was. Somebody had close to ten every night, if not over that. We need someone who can just haul them down. I know we should give MO time, but right now he doesn't seem like he is the correct guy for the job.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

33 rebounds. Remember that? That's how many boards Charles Barkley had in his first regular season game as a Rocket.

32 rebounds.

That's how many Mo Taylor has in the last 8 games.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Mo Sucks.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

4. MManal

MManal Member

We need to hit this issue in 1 of 2 ways imho.

A) Acquire a forward that is the complete package, can score and rebound.

B) Add a role player that can come off the bench and provide that rebounding behind Mo ie. Jerome Williams

I have always felt that Mo and KT is a badly mixed PF tandem. Neither one compensates for the other's weaknesses. Mo scores well but lacks the big time rebounding; KT does neither well except takes a bunch of 3s which he is extremely inconsistent at and tries to display a bunch of fancy footwork to compensate for his lack of height the end result still being his missing a bunch of point blank layups and shooting an eye popping 38% from the field. A player that is a work horse on the glass along with improved rebounding from Cato and eventually what Collier should provide would help this team a lot.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Kenny and Carlos to Detroit for Jerome Williams. A rebounder off the bench would make the Rockets contenders. It worked on real GM.

------------------
    If I hit this shot, the Rockets will win tonight. If I miss, they might still win, but I doubt it.
    If I hit two in a row, Florida's votes will actually count.

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited December 03, 2000).]

6. tariq

tariq Member

MManal,

Thats a good take. You're right that both KT and MoT don't differ by much. I personally think that todays game was a much better one by MoT, but then Rudy takes him out and we don't know what he really would have done.

BTW...can Barkley come out of retirement? His Fat Ass is still better than the bunch we have now.

------------------

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Maybe if Mo dropped 15pounds he could be a better rebounder. He has alot of upside but he just dosen't seem like he cares.

8. MManal

MManal Member

Tariq, I fully agree with that. I was really annoyed that Mo sat the last 16 mins in favor of KT when Mo for once was not experiencing foul trouble and showed what he could do when he remained on the floor consistently. Rudy should have left him in for 30+ mins so that he could get acclimated to his new teammates and start getting into the flow. I hope last night everyone saw the importance of having a PF that can receive the ball in the low post and turn and score when the offense bogs down. This is not some isolated occurrence, when the Rockets reach the playoff stage, this kind of thing happens a lot. This is where having offensive variety, not just guard oriented sets helps to break out of an offensive funk. Mo was doing a fine job of scoring from 10-15 ft and could have been used as on option. To use him, he needs to be established and receive a certain amount of feeds; this is why I get very annoyed when the guards wave him off to run their isos and screen and rolls.

The Blazers were in a similar funk when the score was 56-50, but they just said fine our other sets arent working so lets give the ball to Wallace on the left block and let him goto work. Wallace broke them out of the funk, and the Rockets defense had a new target to go up against. The prevailing opinion on this board is that a post guy will clog up everything along with other myths like that and that guys like KT can play the lion's share of the mins at PF. Last night was a perfect example of why you need offensive diversity when the game becomes a halfcourt slugfest. Either Maurice Taylor develops into the frontcourt threat the Rockets need or they import someone from outside the organization. However, KT just does not have the physical tools to be that guy.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

how would his dropping 15 pounds help. He is already athletic. I think he just needs a mario elie to toughen him up. Just like duncan, of course TD was already averaging double figures in boards. We should hire chuck as a assistant coach to teach the boy some desire and hustle. [​IMG]

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Other solutions include: better rebounding from center/SF.

Would any of you find Mo's boarding a problem, if we had an SF like Marion pulling 12 (or even an Odom-like 7-8) boards a game?

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

It seems that Mo's poor rebounding is indicative of a lack of "fire" or "passion" to mix it up inside on the boards or defensively to muscle up against other players. Vin Baker has some of the same problems.

Walt's contract runs a while and Mo's has only about 7 more months to go. Even if you acquired a SF that was a rebounding demon, still have Walt's contract to move. If you can figure out how to put Odom or Marion on the Rockets roster at a reasonable cost and move Walt, tell CD and Rudy how to do it.

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Let's be honest, Walt's a pretty decent rebounder, we just need Cato to become that rebounding monster that he claimed he was going to be at seasons beginning!

With that happening and Mo stepping up to average his 5-6 boards per then I can see us as a reasonably good rebounding team again!

------------------

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As everyone knows, I'm the world's biggest KT fan [​IMG], so I'll leave it to other people to bash him. Where were the complaints of only 6 rebounds in 40 minutes against Denver. Or the fact that McDyess had, in recollection, 10 of his 20 boards in 4th/OT (and maybe a couple of minutes in the 3rd?).

I personally feel that Mo is a superior defender to KT (neither are good, but Mo is the lesser of 2 evils), and easily the superior offensive player. KT is the better passer, butt turns the ball over a LOT.

Before we decide to throw Mo to the water, we need to take a look at Cato. If Cato becomes that rebounding monster he claimed he would be, there is no worry about Mo at all. If he averages 6 rebounds again, we need to look at solutions. We have GREAT rebounding guards, and if you have well above average rebounding guards, an above average rebounding center, an average or better SF, that can make up for a PFs shortcomings, especially if you have 4-5 more boards coming off the bench. The Rockets need to give Mo more minutes. Players that are used to being the focus aren't the "instant offense" types, that can turn it on and off. Mo seems to be taken out as he gets in a groove. Tell Rudy to let him play.

PS-If I find a way for Rudy to get Marion or Odom without messing with our backcourt, I'll let you know. [​IMG]

------------------
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited December 03, 2000).]

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Would you deal Shanndon for Odom?

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, we have great rebounding guards. But we need someone who, as another poster mentioned, can clean the glass. (Or was it eat the glass?) Grab the board and trigger the break for our rocketing guards (bad pun intended). A non-head-case Rodman type. This power forward by committee isn't cutting it. If Cato returns and shows us boardwork, make him the 4. That way, we don't have to overpay Mo next year. We'll already be overpaying Cato as a power forward.
    If we can swing a deal for a solid rebounder at the 4, I'm all for it. I don't know. We'll see.

------------------

16. rocketman09

rocketman09 Member

I have fallen in love with Mcdyess. He is excacly what we need. I wish we would have went after hime two summers ago instead of the stupide ass bum pippen. Do you guys think that there is any chance the we could get are hands on hime? Maybe shandon, walt, cato)--MCDYESS?

------------------
    Steve and Mobley will lead this team to the championship for years to come

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I just mentioned this in the NBA thread, but what about, after December 15th

Trade accepted:

Houston trades
    Mo Taylor
    Walt Williams
    Moochie Norris

Golden State trades
    Antwain Jamison
    Mookie Blaylock

Jamison is the complete package
    Blaylock is paid too much but would be a very good, and more importantly experienced backup PG. While I love Moochie's energy off the bench, at a position as important as the PG I think you have to have at least one veteran--think of the Kenny Smith-Sam Cassell tandem when we won, but Francis-Blaylock would be much better.

Rockets new lineup

PG-Francis, Blaylock
    SG-Cat, Shandon
    SF-Shandon, Bullard, Langhi
    PF-Jamison, KT, Los
    Center- Dream, Cato, Collier

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited December 03, 2000).]

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Why in the hell would GS trade Jamison???? He's having a breakout yaer and could be a franchise-type player... There isn't any interest around the league for Moochie...

Plus, Jamison is an inconsistent rebounder... We're getting another Mo Taylor, except with more offense...

------------------

[This message has been edited by kidrock8 (edited December 03, 2000).]

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Jamison is averaging about 8 boards a game, but you are right about golden state not trading him.

the only logic i used in my head was that they have too many power forwards and that even with him having a breakout year, they cant seem to win any games anyway. But i doubt they would do it.

If they would though, id like the trade.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

i really wouldnt want blaylock. he is a poor defender, shoots too much, and complains alot(from what i saw in Atlanta).

also GS wants to dump a PG, if we gave them Mooch, they would just be replacing one.

ALSO(yes another one) Kid rock is right i dont see golden state trading jamison the way he is playing. this summer? yes, because he didnt have a GREAT sophomore season. but not anymore