1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"We need a real PG"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We need the following:

A real pg
    A real coach
    A real owner
    A real GM
    Real players in the rest of the roster

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And until then, no real nickels from me, only wooden ones.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You have a point, but Lawson is straight up trash man. I won't say he's worse than Lin, considering Lin would actually **** ship up, but Lawson literally does nothing most of the time he's on the court---Harden or no Harden.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

You may not want to say it but the fact is Lin was x100 better than Ty Lawson. And this is coming from someone who wanted Lin gone and is glad he's jumping in the air with the ball elsewhere.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

You could pretty much go back in a time machine and replace 'Lawson' with 'Lin'

Idk what it is but he has been trash. Thats not on Harden.

It's on the technically inferior player to adjust the the MVP challenger of last season.

6. #Pursuit

#Pursuit Member

Well I think it's more a lack of a system, combined with the fact that he has next to no confidence on the court. I just don't think it's plausible for a veteran player who didn't sustain an injury to regress that much.

Now that definitely isn't Harden's fault, but I'm saying that ideally, the fit next to Harden is another shooting guard.

7. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

The blame for his poor performance is:
    10% Harden
    80% Analytic geek ball
    10% Rehab

I've been preaching this since week 1 you keep Ty around get a new coach and install a great system Ty will be amazing

8. for-three

for-three Member

The Rockets have been putting the ball in Lawson's hands, letting him run the second unit. He's still looked completely passive out there. The big surprise to me is how little he runs the ball. He was so great igniting the fast-break in Denver, getting guys like Faried easy baskets. You would think with McDaniels getting more minutes in place of Thornton, along with Brewer, and Jones or Harrell at the backup 4, that that group of athletes would excel in transition. Even Terry at his age is still pretty good at finding his spots and setting up for transition threes.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt that Lawson cares about anything hut his paycheck at this point. What needs to happen is Josh Smith needs to get his offensive game going and turn into Josh we saw tear it up in the playoffs. Beverly is great next to Harden. But watch Josh's passing and court vision at his height. If his offensive game could actually become consistent again, then he is the perfect fit at pf and can be a point forward . Bickerstaff just looks so lost out there as what to do with the players he has. People give Mchale crap and although he wasn't a genious at his X's and O's, I think he could have inspired our guys especially Lawson to play and do what he needs to do. The evidence is Pistons and Clippers Josh vs Josh Smith that came to Houston last season. Big time different player.

10. for-three

for-three Member

The bench unit was so much fun last year, they would almost play at a frantic pace. Josh is a little careless with the ball, but overall he was great pushing the ball off of missed shots/turnovers and finding Brewer on the break, or Terry for transition threes. That group (headband brothers) had such good chemistry playing together. I wish they could get the bench playing a similar fast paced style as last year. They have the personnel to do it, but the coaching staff needs to start drilling in Lawson play with more pace.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ty is just playing badly on top of having no good system to take advantage of him. You think a 'real' PG like Chris Paul would not fit next to Harden? Think again..you just cannot have a system of ball watching and dribbling 20 seconds.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

put jordan on a team like this, he'll have his worst career numbers
    remember when we had a coach who knows how to run an offense..adelman? b2b winning records with no all stars

get a real coach first who actually knows how to run a team. then they can decide if they need a pg or a pf or to blow it up

13. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It's because Les isn't willing enough to spend money. He had to force Morey to make the contract unguranteed. Stupid cheap owner ruined Ty. Houston wont win a championship again until we find Patterson and Leslie sells the Rockets to Jerry Seinfeld.

14. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

being on the court is a position to succeed. ty lawson is failing. pat beverley is better currently

15. for-three

for-three Member

I also should add that I'm not a big fan of featuring Howard in the post with the second unit. The Rockets were doing that the last 4-5 games before the all-star break and it ends up slowing the pace down and making the game become half-court oriented. We don't have enough shooters on the bench to play that style effectively, plus it renders Lawson useless. I would rather have Lawson run pick-and-roll offense with Howard, with just the occasional post-up, depending on the matchup. That's not a knock on Howard either, I'm a big fan of his. I Just think he's much more effective as a pick-and-roll player.

Lawson deserves most of the blame himself for his poor play. The more I think about it though, lots of it is just fit. Everyone talks about Lawson struggling playing off the ball with Harden. That may be true, but he's also looked bad playing alongside Howard. The Rockets have been giving Howard minutes with the bench group and Lawson just stands around trying to get the ball to Howard in the post. I don't think it's a coincidence that he started to look like himself again when Howard was out with the sprained ankle. The lane was less clogged and Lawson ran the second unit without deferring to Howard, or Harden. He just hasn't meshed with either player so far. That's why I would like to see more pick-and-rolls with Lawson/Howard, see if they can develop some chemistry moving forward.

16. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Ty Lawson is a system player. He needs to know where his guys will be on the court. Rockets run a free flowing offense which is based on playing off of what the defense gives you. You have to make quick decisions on the spot and Lawson has shown to be incapable of doing that.

When Lawson is on the court without Harden he does nothing with the ball. Lawson screwed up since day one. If he would have said screw too James and handled the ball and things were working I'm sure Harden would have no issue sharing ball duties like Harden did with Lin. But Lawson just gave it up every time.

Lawsons issue to not be able to make quick decisions on the fly could be argued that it was chemistry but we are so far into the season that just playing with guys you notice where they usually are on the floor. The guy sucks in the free flowing offense. He needs to go back to an offense where every guy is in a spot because it was drawn up that way.

17. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Run PnR to see if they can develop chemistry? What? It's a PnR. You don't need chemistry to have a guy set a screen and roll to the basket and you lob it up to him. Yesterday Shelvin Mack played his first game with Utah and found Gobert a couple times on alleys in the PnR. Lawson is disinterested in playing and his height limitations are apparent and not having a system that dictates where every guy is the issue.

18. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

WE NEED A REAL COACH FIRST!!!!!!

19. for-three

for-three Member

Go back and watch game 2 of the rockets Rockets vs Mavericks series, when Smith and Howard were running that 4/5 pick-and-roll perfectly and tell me chemistry doesn't play a role. All I was saying is that if Lawson and Howard could find some success running PnR, that they would have something to build on moving forward.

I also pointed out that Lawson Played well under Karl utilizing his speed and playing uptempo . How often do you see Lawson pushing the ball and finding people in transition on the Rockets?

Here's an older quote from George Karl on Lawson.

"His ability to attack is so important to what we do," said coach George Karl, whose Nuggets open against Golden State at the Pepsi Center on Saturday. "We ask him to touch the paint with the penetration of the basketball 20, 30 times a game. With his speed, the pick-and-roll offense and his ability to get it in the open court, he gets that done most nights. And we don't have anybody who has that much responsibility on the team."

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Honestly, Lawson just seems aloof and disinterested. Not sure what his problem is, but he shouldn't be allowed to touch the court until he can show that his brain isn't dead.