1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a hybrid 1/2 (Mad Max) instead of a conventional PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at this generation's version of our contender, I can't help but compare them to our title teams. Dream & Clyde - Dwight & The Beard
    Most of the similarities here are obvious and have been bandied about quite a bit. But it is up top, at the point that I wanted to get into. Those title teams had plenty of guys that could handle the ball (Kenny, Mad Max, Mario, Clyde), an important factor that I think is often overlooked. This year it won't be spread out so much, because Harden will be initiating so much of the offense. I think it is incumbent that we have a guy with size starting who can stick the J, play tenacious D, and handle the rock a little. To my way of thinking, (given a time machine)Vernon would be ideal. Beverley(great D, but still a backup IMO) and Canaan are going to be great rotation players at first and have the chance to evolve into much more. (esp. Canaan) But seeing as we are competing for a title NOW, let's plug in an athletic hybrid 1/2 ala Antonio Daniels/Mad Max.
    Ideas?

BTW...Conspicuous by his absence is Lin. The reasons why I have omitted him are many.....Likely to get dealt, isn't up to the task, and if one believes he CAN be effective, needs the ball in his hands.(while not committing so many turnovers) Also, lacks the size, athleticism, defensive ability, and consistent J.

#1 Plowman, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Okay thats great but we don't have a time machine, who would your current choice be?

3. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

Dumb thread, you say we need a combo guard instead of a conventional point guard, but that's exactly what Lin is and then you say he doesn't count.

So basically the entire point of this thread is just another "Lin sucks" thread.

1 person likes this.
  4. bmd

bmd Member

Lin is 6'3" and 200 pounds. He isn't exactly small for a PG.

The second half of the season, he was shooting 38% from 3. He got off to a slow start, but remember, he was coming off knee surgery. He turned it around and shot very well.

I find his defense to be quite good. Players really have to work for their shots.

Athleticism? How are we defining that? He's fast up and down the floor, can dunk, and his quickness is okay. He isn't Russell Westbrook, but he is athletic.

5. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I have a feeling that the last little paragraph there is going to turn this thread into a Lin argument... I definitely haven't heard anyone say Lin lacks size before, lol.

It does kind of sound like you're asking for something that everyone in the league would want... Defense, size, athleticism, handle, shooting... Sounds like a fantastic idea, someone go get that!

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

No, I outlined the reasons why I left him out of the equation.

I do not want that to overshadow what I see as a need/ something that will make us much better.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Honestly, this is such a copout. If OP isn't going to at least suggest alternatives that are CURRENTLY playing then try to at least point us in the right direction as to what you want.

Antonio Daniels is a career 31% 3pt shooter. You talk about Lin's crap jumper while his career is in its infancy and then you suggest someone like Antonio Daniels? Cause hes one inch taller? Lin is a good athlete with a great first step, has very good size as a PG and is 200lbs, has trouble staying infront of quick guards cause of his lack of lateral quickness but is smart nonetheless.

8. Plowman

Supporting Member

This wasn't meant to be another Lin thread, but I had to bring it up as we are talking about the point....or 1/2.

And he doesn't possess the size or athleticism I'm talking about. His straight ahead speed might be okay, but his lateral movement leaves a lot to be desired. The Rockets were a better team without him starting.

9. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

"Likely to get dealt?"-Um sure, tell me all about those trade rumors he's involved in besides your own delusions.

"Isn't up to the task"- Your own opinion, I respect it.

"Needs the ball in his hand"- How is this a bad thing? What Harden going to handle the ball 48 minutes a game? We seen the result of only having one ball handler in Harden having the most turnovers in a single game of the playoffs.

"lacks the size"- Lin is 6'3 and 200 pounds. He's above average for a point guard.

"athleticism"- clocks in faster speeds then Rose and Wall.

"defensive ability"- by far the best defender in the guard position we have on the team last year. Advance stats proved it.

"consistent J"- shot 38% last 42 games from 3. Rockets don't even shoot the midrange shot if you actually pay attention.

Basically your premise is full of flaws.

10. mikennite

mikennite Member

Lacking athleticism? Can you really call a guard in the NBA not athletic?

11. Plowman

Supporting Member

I'm talking about Daniels in his prime...did you happen to watch him play then?

12. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Also the man you think that will become that player you're looking for is Canaan? Really not even Beverly? Because Canaan is a undersize point guard trying to play the shooting guard position. He doesn't have much floor vision nor is he a good defender. He hasn't played a single professional basketball game yet and you're are already pushing him above Beverly?

13. bmd

bmd Member

How does he not possess the size?

He's one inch shorter than Maxwell, but 15 pounds bigger.

He isn't small at all. He's a big PG.

His defense is quite good. He may get beat against the elite athletes like Westbrook, but nobody can keep up with him tit for tat.

"Rockets were a better team without him starting".

How many games did he not start? The couple games in the playoffs?

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

By prime do you mean the one season in his 14 year career he averaged +10 ppg?

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Someone said it earlier, Canaan is like Aaron Brooks in Lowrys body.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is Lin a better defender than Beverley?

17. bmd

bmd Member

I would say Beverley is more intense on defense and puts more pressure on the ball which is more likely to result in turnovers.

However, as far as overall defense is concerned, both him and Lin are good defenders.

18. Plowman

Supporting Member

Vernon was 6'4" , quick as a cat, and STRONG. He guarded M.J. better than anyone in the NBA.

19. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Living in the past isn't good for your health.

20. bmd

bmd Member

But what does that have to with his size compared to Jeremy Lin?