1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We landed Ming...Now, how do we keep Moochie off the court?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKETBOOSTER, Jun 11, 2002.

1. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

If Im CD or Rudy, and the #15 pick comes up, thats the first thing on my mind. If i know my jobs on the line, and my bosses patience and the fans patience is running thin...my main concern is in dissolving the Moochie factor. So again, Im Rudy and I see the futility in trying to run a productive, motion offense with Moochie at the helm, so my thinking is I need a player who can come in and fill both guard slots nicely... and If I can get productive minutes out of him at the small foward spot as well...then Im ecsatic! what a plus! But the main idea is to keep Moochie down at the end of the bench...unless of a course its a blowout victory.

So far, I see a few options to solve this problem:

1) draft a servicable small foward with the 15. This will only keep Moochie off the court for so long though. I still cringe at the thought of putting him out on the court when Steve and Cuttino need a rest. Still too many minutes for verse's little dribbler.

2)draft a point guard at 15. This looks like the most direct approach to take when hoping to lessen Moochies minutes...but theres a lack of point guards who could be considered mid-first rounders. I don't want to waste a high pick and pass up a great talent just because of Moochies shortcomings.[/]

3)draft a quality player who can play all three positions. meaning he's capable of positively effecting the guard rotation, and the small foward position.

option 1 and 2 aren't bad, but the third option fills three holes at once...i give serious consideration to any player who fits the mold of option #3....soley because the addition of one player who can backup both of my starting guards and play the small foward position is TLD's worst nightmare and the answer to my prayers.

#1 ROCKETBOOSTER, Jun 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2002
  2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I know nearly everyone here on Clutchcity.net seems to have the same opinion towards Moochie - that is he sucks but I have this strange feeling that Rudy and CD don't see it the same way. I have a feeling that they are in fact happy with Moochie's progress and think he's worth his big bucks. I mean afterall, the last word I heard out of one of their mouths having to do with Moochie seems to be a good one and I don't recall them talking about or hinting towards wanting to replace him.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If Terrance Morris does a chris mullin like summer program (600jumpers and 500 ft's) and really solidify's the 3 or Nacbar or Woods comes in and is the bomb, his time will get limited.Torres improvement colud really make it tough for Rudy to give Francis back 2 guard minutes.

4. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

LAfadeaway33,

did you watch any of the games last year? When Moochie Norris has the ball in his hands he makes Mike Fratellos Cavalier teams look like the present day Dallas Mavericks.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I must admit that I was LOL when I read the title of this thread. :)

There is a player who fits the bill. A combo guard who could also play some SF. This is Jiri Welsch who is 6-6 or 6-7. Now the bad news- he's pretty thin @ 208#'s. But hey, Andrei Kirilenko is only listed at 210#'s. :D

Personally, I think the Rocks will move the pick to the Grizz or dangle KT and/or Collier with it to move up or down.

#5 GATER, Jun 11, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2002
  6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

leebigez: I like your thinking...but Morris has had four years of college practices and a full NBA season to work out the kinks in his shot. That would be sweet if he gained some sort of touch on his shot, but with each passing season it seems less and less likely he will.

GATER: Im sold already! I was reading Jiri Welschs draft profile and this is OUR guy! His ability to play three positions makes up for any light weight issues, imo. They says hes tough as nails, is a great defender(which is rare for a european), and is dead eye marksmen when it comes to shooting the basketball. what more could Rudy ask for...

Drafting him at 15 would still leave some room open to make a run at Bosjan Nabahar(sp?) by offering Kenny Thomas and our second round pick...

That'd be one hell of draft!

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i don't think that was LA's assessment of moochie, that was his assessment of rudy and cd's assessment of moochie which from everything i hear them say seems to be accurate.

i like moochie just fine. as a backup point guard. that is what he is and he does it very well. however, last year he did a lot of starting and was featured prominently in the now infamous small ball lineup of the 4th quarter. if injuries/having a real SF could put him back in 00-01 form of only backup pg i think he's perfectly fine on this team. he brings energy into the game and his herky jerky style usually allows him to penetrate and dish off to open people or possibly finish. then after 10 minutes or so, you bench him, let him rev up again, and put him back in, let him go to work, and then put francis, mobley, real SF out there to finish (unless it's a last second shot, then play the mooch). this also limits the number of times he is burned on the defensive end. as a backup, moochie=good, playing lots of minutes like last year=not so good.

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Thank you!! Moochie is a great backup point guard! Ofcourse he dribbles too much at times, but half the league does that. Some of you really need not to be so critical of our players, especially the ones that give their all night after night.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The crust of the argument has little to do with Moochie's play
    EVERYONE was opf the opinion that moochie HAD TO BE resigned

the problem was. . . HE GOT RESIGNED FOR TOO MUCH
    In alot of folx's opinion . . after that he could do NO GOOD.

moochie is a fine back up . .. just over paid

Rocket River

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Damn, I just get tired of people b****ing the loudest about our good players, and barely saying anything about the guys who actually suck. "Oh, Jeez Louise you guys, we need to keep Moochie off the floor regardless of the fact that he hit more game winners in one season than many people do in their careers," and " Mobley really tees me off you guys, sure he can score, sure he was a 2nd round draft pick, and of course he makes little money compared to players of similiar and lesser talent, but he's not perfect. We need to get rid of him."

11. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

lets step back into reality here for a second.

If Moochie was a backup point guard and thats it then there wouldn't be a problem. But the fact is...Rudy likes to go with a three-guard rotation, which gives Moochie twice the time of a reguar backup point guard. so we are talking 20 minutes for a player who, imo, is a MAJOR HINDRANCE to a sound offense -- and a sound offense entails players cutting and moving for you...this can't be done when Mooch has ball control because his strengths are utilizied in isolation sets. Please don't tell me im being over critical, or I'm picking on Moochie. Steve and Mobley are allowed to get away with stall ball because of their talent. Two isolation kings is plenty. But a third will get you geared up for the lottery by christmas.

But Im past all this. Thats why Im looking in the draft for a player who remedies this situation...a player who will plant Moochies ass down on the bench...a player who doesn't survey the seen 10 feet behind the three point line, waiting until theres 7 seconds left on the clock before he makes his move.

But all this old news. Why rehash it..because When I witness a 15 game losing streak....Im going to hold the player who controls the ball...most responsible.

Im not bashing, I'm grateful to Moochie Norris...he got us more ping pong balls...he was a Tankers Dream!

#11 ROCKETBOOSTER, Jun 12, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2002
  12. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

moochie ain't bad for backup.

there's no worries even if he was though, since i doubt we'll see small ball again with a new SF and healthy bodies. heavily reduced minutes for mooch (unless francis goes into migraine hell again)

13. Possum

Possum Member

I sure everyone here knows this by now but I'll say it again. I really think Welsch would fit this team perfect. If we drafted him we would have Mooch and KT for trade bait. :)

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Take away Mobley and theres not chance in hell for Moochie to win your feelings with last game heroics because -- by the fourth quarter -- the score would be too lopsided in favor of the opponent. on the other hand fill that blatant hole left by the Moochie factor and we won't need last second shots in order to win the game.

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I sure everyone here knows this by now but I'll say it again. I really think Welsch would fit this team perfect. If we drafted him we would have Mooch and KT for trade bait.

I concur. D. Robisons said it best when he said the rockets are composed of a bunch of one on one players and not team players. we need to break up the love btw stevie and cat or no one(Ming or EG) will be able to develop b/c of backcourt ball vacum. I propose, taking Welsch(he has excellent court vision and passing skills) and eventually starting him at SG and have him run the offense. This will cut down on the 4TO a game that francis gives us while at the same time getting everyone involved. Cat can come of the bench, like he would be for any other contending team.

As for Moochie, Trade him for matt maloney. and while were at it trade Mo taylor for Rob Horry. Bring back some old pedigree. And home town favorites.:D :D :D :D

16. leebigez

I'm afraid you're right which is what i don't understand. I mean Derrick McKey and Billy Owens has so much talent it was pathetic. All they had to do is work on the jumper and they were complete players. They could get a good shot from anywhere, defend, pass, everything, just like Morris, but they don't pay the price in the offseason. I guess thats the difference in good ball players and great ones. Paying the price.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Juan Dixon anyone?

18. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

man, Gater, Possum, and Perciles, you guys have great baskteball minds. ;)

Welsch is just what this team needs. A player like him would give Rudy so many different options. He could give you solid minutes at the 1,2, and 3 positions.

Jeri Welsch mentioned in a Phoneix interview that his workout in Houston was much better than the one in Phoneix. couple that with the fact that the Rockets website has a list of every player to workout at Westside except Jeri Welsch... and also take into account that Rudy, CD etc. have been hush hush about this prospect...and you should be able to brew up a 15th pick conspiracy involving the Rockets and Jeri Welsch...hey....whats up Doc?

19. Gascon

Gascon Member

You took the words right out of my mouth....er, fingers...whatever.

Does anyone know where he's projected to go in the draft? I'm assuming we'd have to move up to get him. Would I be wrong in assuming that? If we do have to move up, I'd be willing to trade #15 and KT for a chance to grab Dixon. He's got serious skills.

20. leebigez

Dixon will be there at 38 if they really want him. I don't think or will be surprised if he goes in the first rd.