1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to trade Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PatBev, May 12, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At the end of the day when Sengun was playing the Rockets still had one of the best defenses in the NBA.

Defense isn't the problem. Offense was and Sengun is the least to worry about on that end so I don't understand this desire to move him at all. Would be a monumental disaster.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm totally not opposed to considering moving him for the right deal... BUT trading him for the sake of style of play that helps other players seems to me alot like the move to trade Capela just to adjust style of play to help Westbrook.

The fact is we are not in a win now situation just yet. There's time, and flexibility to figure it out as the players grow. The really only question is on cap management/contracts that'll be the big decisions to figure out. But making a move like this for the sake of style of play that you THINK might win you a couple more games is a fools errand IMO.

Let's keep in mind that this is the same front office and owner that made the Westbrook trade so.... yeah. I think it would be dumb but I will not be the least bit surprised if it happens again just because Tillman wants to be in the playoffs now, and Stone wants the accolades and recognition that alot of his peers get.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I googled it and it took me to a stats muse page that was found using the query "most double team player per possession 2023-2024". I don't doubt that Sengun was doubled often and I agree that he probably would have been higher on the list had he been playing all season but I do find it interesting that both him and Jalen were doubled as much as they were - to your point, it kind of gives a little context into what teams think about our supporting cast - that they can live with guys like Brooks, FVV, and certainly Amen taking jumpers.

I see your point about "why" players are doubled can vary - I remember reading there was a point in time when Klay Thompson would be doubled every time he put the ball on the floor by some teams because his handles were so loose(a point I cited often during Jabari's ugly rookie year). I get why Sengun was rated so highly on post up plays but I think the additional context to that is - most teams don't derive significant portions of their offense through the post anymore so that list probably only has like 3 or 4 guys who regularly get the ball fed to them in the post and would actually be dangerous enough to double - Jokic, Embid, Anthony Davis...and that's the list. That's promising for Sengun but also it's notable to say - ALL THOSE GUYS have range except Sengun. This is why him building a halfway decent 3pt shot is critical because those guys are all MVP candidates and Sengun isn't even an All Star(yet)....but it also explains why Sengun gets doubled there more than any other player because that's the only place where he is a threat to score while the other players have other ways to be effective offensively.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=most+double+team+player+per+possession+2023-2024

edit: this is just total possessions.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  5. Strawberry Gum

6. fchowd0311

Yup. Sites like Cleaning the glass and Synergy stats aren't gimmicky in this regard and are probably the nest at analyzing things like impact and tracking things like double teams.

Strawberry Gum and glimmertwins like this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hmm - that's weird I could have sworn Jalen was a little higher when I first pulled this up the other day on stats muse. Maybe they are including playoffs too but I don't see anyone who would have jumped him in that time. Strange...I don't totally get how statmuse works apparently. I wish they wouldn't gate keep these metrics - seems like they should open it up for all - NBA.com is already giving a lot of new stats they weren't every year but there are still some strange gaps in the advanced metrics they provide.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

good context - didn't realize we were beta testers for their language models. Thanks for clarifying that. As they say in the AI world, you are what you prompt....

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

There is a big difference in the regular season and the Playoffs. In the Playoffs its about size and interior, as you can see, if you have been watching the Playoff series.

During the season there are many variables; what teams have you played and when? Who played for that team when you played them? Etc. Its more team stats.

In the Playoffs, its more individual matchups, because the game slows down.

#229 hlmbasketball, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 24, 2024
  10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It turns out that the same voter (one!) voted Sabonis to mvp, dpoy, 1st team all-nba ad 1st team all defense.

God, these crazy sabonis only fans are very hard to deal with. Claiming sabonis is in the mvp discussion because a lunatic voted him for best of every category, or thinking that he is one of the most doubled players because statmuse can't interpret your query. And advise others to familiarize themselves with Sabonis's game, and mock others for being only fans, LOL.

Thank god sengun only fans are not like that.

Holybats and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....lol

Stephen_A likes this.