1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We HAVE TO tank!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jul 21, 2009.

1. FranchiseReDeux

why would you tank, if you're not even sure if the #1 pick is even all that great? for every dwight/hakeem/bron there's a kwame brown waiting to be picked.

tanking also equals less revenue, which equals less money to sign FAs, and so forth.

tanking logic = fail.

2. AXG

AXG Member

I agree. I still think this team can make the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed. We all know this team plays hard. We saw what they did the last two seasons when Yao Ming and TMac went down. Plus, a losing team makes it harder to attract good free agants, especially given that the Rockets don't have the most money.

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

"Losers" find it easy to lose and become quit accustomed to it. "Winners" will give it everything, fight till' the end and can't sleep well, after any loss.

Ask yourself, What are you? A winner? or a loser?

I couldn't imagine being on a team that the owner, coach or GM wanted losses. I would be high disappointed in this Rockets organization if they purposely tanked a season and I would have less pride in calling myself a Rockets fan. I've been threw alot of tough years with this franchise, but one thing I can never say is that they didn't give it their all. This is one of the major differences between those of us that Stevie fans and those of you that are Tracy fans. One clearly had a passion for the game and gave it everything they had, while the other clearly half-stepped it much of the time.

I highly doubt that Les will start this season without making a huge push for another star like caliber player.

4. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

you must not watch a lot of basketball there pal. Hmmm lets see. The last couple of years or so the teams with the worse record in the NBA have had the 4th pick in the draft for the last idk years. Rockets tank and won't be guaranteed to get the #1 pick.

We may not even have a draft pick in the 1st place considering if Morey doesn't trade it away in a package.

5. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i hate tanking with a passion. friedman's response is perfect. also, if you recall we got the #1 pick without tanking in the past ;)

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They were high on him for the position they were drafting. But who knows what they would have done had they picked in the top 3. The Rockets didn't have a legit PF (Howard/Hayes). Maybe they would have opted for Bargnani or Tyrus Thomas if they had had the chance.

7. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I want to change the subject:

I just had my first Tornado Burger at Missouri City yesterday and it was better than sex.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

ATTN: Thacabbage-

Exactly. Thanks for your comment, it was what I was trying to express, not as effectively as you did though.

9. GMNot

GMNot Member

Sounds familiar to what wives say... oh, no... I guess that's "We have to TALK." ;)

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Top 5 draft picks who were not really difference makesrs since 1987:

1987-Armon Gilliam (2), Dennis Hopson (3), Reggie Williams (4)
    1988-Charles Smith (3), Chris Morris (4)
    1989-Pervis Ellison (1), Danny Ferry (2), JR Reid (5)
    1990-Chris Jackson (3), Dennis Scott (4), Kendall Gill (5)
    1991-Billy Owens (3)
    1992-Laphonso Ellis (5)
    1993-Shawn Bradley (2), JR Rider (5)
    1994-pretty solid picks, but maybe Donyell Marshall
    1995-Joe Smith (1)
    1996-solid top 5
    1997-Antonio Daniels (4), Tony Battie (5)
    1998-Kandi-Man (1), Raef Lafrenz (3),
    1999-Jonathan Bender (5)
    2000-Stomile Swift (2), Darius Miles (3), Marcus Fizer (4)
    2001-Kwame Brown (1), Eddy Curry (4)
    2002-Jay Williams (2), Drew Gooden (4), Nikoloz Tskitishvili (5)
    2003-Darko (2)
    2004-Shaun Livingston (4)
    2005-solid top 5, but you could argue Raymond Felton
    2006-Adam Morrison (3), Shelden Williams (5)
    2007-Oden (too early, but bad start), Conley (same)
    2008-looking solid so far

The point is that just because you have a top 5 pick doesn't mean you are getting a franchise player. NOT worth tanking a season for IMHO

#110 Blake, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I agree. Let TSlack play ... tank the season.

12. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

IDK I think they would have still drafted him if they had picked there. They were so high on him I don't think they would have passed up on him. Usually people fall in the draft and rise in the draft. There are lots of head scratched selections in the draft. Yeah the Rockets PF situation was horrible but there is also another round, free agency, and trades.

13. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Do you only focus on the Rockets because some of the guys you mentioned were actually good role players. Jonathan Bender was ok but the only thing was injuries cut his career short. When he was on the court he did his thing. Jay Williams falls in the same category. If it wasn't for that motorcycle accident he would be top 10 pg in the league. Shaun Livingston was good until that nasty fall which he snapped his leg. Dennis Scott was great on Orlando. Shawn Bradley wasn't all that bad he was so so. Come on some people you've listed weren't all that bad.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man I forgot that dude went so high.

15. Blake

Yeah...that's my point..."good role players" are not worth tanking a season over. You can sign them cheaply in free agency. None of those players on that list are worth tanking for...that's my point. Lebron? Yeah.

And sure bender and livingston and williams had careers cut short by injuries, but all they ever had was unrealized potential. None of them were great players before they got hurt and the bottom line is that they didn't turn out to have franchise-player careers. I mean, Sam Bowie's career was marred by injuries...should people not say he was a top 5 bust because of that?

#115 Blake, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  16. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Well everyone knows Same Bowie was a bust. There is no argument for that. If Guys don't think he is a bust then something must be going on.

As for Jason Williams I believe he had potential. Shawn Livingston also. The only thing with Shawn Livingston was that he couldn't shoot to save his life. Call me crazy or whatever but we have a Shawn Livingston in Kyle Lowry. Both could drive and pass but they also couldn't shoot to save their life.

Are you saying Lowry doesn't have potential.

17. Blake

Are YOU saying that you would tank an entire season in order to get the chance to maybe draft Lowry?

I didn't say those guys were busts...I said they were not really difference makers and definitely NOT worth tanking a season over. My point was that just because someone is a top 5 pick doesn't mean that they are going to be the franchise player you want.

This thread is about tanking...and I'm trying to show reasons why it isn't always the great idea that a lot of you seem to think it is

18. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Oh ok I understand you now. I apologize.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I AM ALREADY SOOOOOOOOO FREAKIN SICK OF THE T-WORD!!!!!!! You play to WIN.... if not, yer a disgrace to the uniform you wear! It's disrespectful to ticket buyin fans, to the league and to the THE GAME! SCREW A FREAKIN LOTTERY PICK! And quite frankly, if as a fan, u want to see your team purposefully lose, due to some ignorant belief that some future good thing is gonna happen - u dont deserve to be a fan! AND for the record... SAN ANTONIO DIDNT TANK! They had numerous injuries down the stretch and before, that resulted in their poor record! STILL WANNA TANK? I got 1 word for ya.... KARMA!

20. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

if we lose a ton of games thats one thing.

if we lose a ton of games on purpose, thats another thing.

dont be dumb, they will not lose games on purpose.