1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to sign Gerald Green and play Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

AND..........................................................................................

He was a rookie, you can not make a judgement on a player as a rookie getting inconsistent minutes.

In the playoffs it was BJax playing not brooks when Rafer was out........I would have rather seen Brooks in there.....with Yao out, and basically our chances gone, it would have been beneficial to the team to get Brooks some legitimate time.

Remember Kobe and the airballs in the playoffs?

Sometimes an organization needs to think longer term.....that was this year and last year for the Rockets.

DD

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is not true! In fact, when the rockets played against the jazz in playoffs, Brooks could not stop Williams, but Williams could not stop Brooks either. Williams is stronger, but Brooks is faster!

3. Korver167

Korver167 Member

i agree with Bobby jackson. He sucked it up big time in playoffs.

3-15----7pts, 3 asst
    1-10----4pts, 0 asst
    2-12----6pts 1 asst

that kind of production just can't cut it at the point guard position.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

i pretty much agree, bjax sucked as hell during playoffs and he should have not because he is a VETERAN and he had been signed to play big minutes in the postseason...

Brooks sucked as well (missing 4,5 open 3s in game 6) but at least he was a rookie.

as you said without Yao our chances were gone but without Rafer we were nobody. So Brooks should have played more.

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily, Greene and Green play two different positions. Greene is a 3/4 and Green is a 2/3.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Look at it this way....if Gerald Green were coming out THIS year, even knowing what team's know about him, he would be a top 20 pick in the first round....

So, you essentially get a free first round pick...without the guaranteed contract.

DD

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

BJax gotta go. Brooks I give a pass cause he's a rookie. With BJax an expiring contract, he has some decent value to trade for another player. Either that or keep the guy and let his salary come off the books for 2009.

8. rz04

rz04 Member

DD I respect and agree with your opinion in many cases but you have got to be kidding me.

In a draft where "potential" guys, who had proven more then Green ever did, like Batum and Greene gets drafted in the late first round. And other guys more highly regarded than Green like D Jordan and CDR fall to the second round, you expect Green to be picked in the TOP20??? With team knowing his history???
    Boy I am sure glade your not the Rockets GM

How many teams picked up Green after we cut him? How many times have we heard his name mentioned when teams are talking about good free agent signings?

Yea essentially a free first round pick, that is like saying Kawme was a free number 1 pick overall.

Seriously man we will probably never hear Green mentioned in the NBA again, just one of those guys who wasted all the potential in the world.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Your post does nothing to prove DaDakota wrong
    <br>
    Are you seriously trying to tell me Batum has proven more than Gerald Green?? LOL. Another thing, DeAndre Jordan and CDR may have been good college players, (I don't even think Jordan was that) but, their game does not translate to the NBA. CDR lacks any sort of athleticism and his shot is extremely unconventional. When you have a guy like Green who has all the tools of a gifted NBA player, it does not hurt to give him a shot. He is extremely athletic, a decent shooter, very tall for a guard/forward, and very young. His overall B-Ball IQ is low, but that's what you hope can be fixed through proper coaching. In the end you can't really tell. However, considering that on potential alone he was projected as an early lottery pick and ended up being drafted at 18, it isn't too far a stretch to consider him being picked in the top of the lottery after a few college seasons. Fact of the matter is, Gerald Green still has loads of potential...

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Here's a nice article that sheds some lights on Green's time with the Timberwolves. It was in late January when Green was asking to be traded.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/01/26/green_wants_a_trade/

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

I wonder if Green's haircut had anything to do with him being waived? Artest got fined for his "Tru Warier" do. I don't think I ever read such a thing about Green. Maybe the NBA office did call in but the Rockets knowing he wasn't going to play made some kind of deal with the NBA office and Green?

12. rz04

rz04 Member

So your saying you would trade Batum for Green? Look at DD's post, he said that Green right now, as in after these 3 years in the NBA with no college, he is going to get taken in the top 20.

I find it hard to believe that a guy who teams didn't even pick up after he got cut, would be picked in the top 20.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Really? The guy averaged 10.4 ppg in the NBA and is 22 years old.

He is a decent player and worth a top 20 pick.....players drafter after top 10 are a risk, Green has proven he can play....

He should be player here in Houston.

DD

14. rz04

rz04 Member

If you consider he was playing on a celtics team trying to tank, even Brian Scalabrane got 20mins a game that season.

How come he didn't get to play in mini when Kirk Snyder got 25 mins a game after that trade?

I am sorry but if he got traded for Kirk Snyder, then cut to make room for Mike Harris, and no other team has yet to picked him up, I really don't see how he could be worth a top 20 pick right now.

Anyways the only disagreement I have is that in his current state he is not worth even a 2nd round pick, never less a top 20, or else teams would have picked him up by now. The kid might get a shot with another team, but it won't be the rockets.

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

10 ppg in 22 mins are impressive

but what i like most about green is that he always thinks about attacking the basket. This team sometimes fall in love with long jumpers, Green could be a player who attacks the basket, put pressure on defense and goes to the line a lot.

We need a player who can get to tle line consistantly

16. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

The Rox will look at Green... Morey likes Green, that's why the trade was made for him in the first place.... he's still a definite possibility.

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

DD:
    Are you trying to tell us that NBA teams would draft Green top 20 in the draft, but for some reason not sign him now? I can't believe you don't see how ridiculous that logic is.

18. cuddie

cuddie Member

You are not obligated to sign any offer as a free agent. You can choose to deny them. :eek:
    For all we know plenty of teams have made offers.

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

The primary reason we made the trade that brought us Gerald Green was as a favor to the other player, to give him a chance somewhere else. Sorry, I can't remember who it was. Scrub.

Gerald Green sat out the end of last year because he was playing hard to get? I don't think so. I expect somebody will sign him this off-season, for less than $2 million. I am not at all sure he will be on somebody's roster the whole year, unless some of the posters on this board can pony up the money to buy a team.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If he is asking for above-market money, teams will not bother making a market offer to him. It's no use getting an offer rejected. He'll have to drop his asking price as the season gets closer, or he will have to accept an offer for a team that he doesn't like.