1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to sign Gerald Green and play Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To clarify - my concern is going forward from now til next June. Yes, Geene and/or Brooks and/or Landry may all be making quantum leaps forward. I want to be a legit contender right now, and I love my team but do not believe they are constituted to get past the 2nd Round. I. Want. (nay, NEED). To. Be. Wrong.

2. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

we need green and greene signed on in some capacity next year...and they will. Now that Dorsey is here Harris is going to be gone. If they settle down and develop correctly there are your two young driving athletes right there.

As for roster space my bet is they trade hayes and head for draft picks or something. It's not like they actually are horrible. I mean a lot of teams could do much worse.

As for Brooks, as I recall he did pretty much save the teams' season last year when he started playing because the PG position settled down from the God awful play it was experiencing to just average and inconsistent play. Then they traded for Jackson and we all forgot about him until the playoffs where he struggled playing big minutes. Rookie PG's almost always suck no matter who they are anyway.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hope he just grabs hold of the right opportunity, system and coaching...and I hope it is 'at home'.

4. Korver167

Korver167 Member

agreed. I believe that the only way that we sign green is if we pull a couple of trades(2 for 1 or 3 for 1) Then we have some available positions on our roster.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

DD, if you're going to make this claim, you need to back it up. Where is the link to an article that supports your claim? I've googled it and the only place I can find anyone claiming he received a contract offer is right here on this board. (Incidentally, it's mostly you and I suspect the others are restating what you've claimed as fact).

I've also called my friend who works at John Lucas's facility. He said he'll find out when he goes to work on Monday and get back to me, but that he hadn't heard anything about Gerald Green getting a contract offer.

As per your request, I also asked him how Green is coming along. He said he didn't know but he'd ask about that on Monday too.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    <br>
    Oooooooh this is exciting... :D

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

Actually that's what they say about bigs. They said on average 4-5 years for a big to develop. A PG should be ready when they come in. 1-2 years to develop. Brandon Roy, Steve Francis, Jameer Nelson, Monta Ellis, etc. Didn't take them long at all.

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I think it all depends on if they come in to start or are second stringers. It would def take longer to develop if you had to play behind a veteran pg.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It was in a Chronicle blog....I can't find it right now either, but I am sure I read that he had turned down a 10 day contract offer from Miami to concentrate on improving his game with Lucas.

Here is a blog with a link to Pat Riley discussing Gerald Green and a 10 day contract.

DD

#89 DaDakota, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

DD and jmwilliamson -- for what it's worth, I remember reading about the Miami offer. I was at first unhappy we were losing a really good prospect and then delighted that he remained in Houston to work with John Lucas.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

On a side note, since we didn't draft a SG (Rush and Lee were gone and we passed on CDR), Green is perfect for backing up T-Mc. Again, he's 6-8, only 22 years old, very athletic and on the surface seems to be a perfect fit for Adelman's system.

When T-Mc is done (he's a very old 29), we will have a solid replacement in Green. Paired with the new Greene (who also will just be coming into his prime), we will be singing the old Christy Minstrels song, "Green, Greene, it's Green(e) they say, on the far side of the hill!"

12. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I believe he was never offered a contract by Miami. They considered offering him one and instead gave it to Bobby Jones (who incidently we had cut already). That really doesn't bode well for Green, but I am with you in that we should give him another shot. Too much talent to not take a small gamble.

13. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Only Jameer Nelson is a true PG and he hasn't really developed into much of anything. So what you are telling me is that Derrek Rose will have a better rookie year than Micheal Beasley? I respectfully disagree.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This is off topic, but IMHO, Beasley will be the best player to come out of this draft by a LONG shot.....he is incredible.

DD

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He says 3-4, which I think is crazy. I think it takes 1-2 years . Brooks has another year to show his improvement.

I do agree that you don't really know what you have sometimes until the 3rd year.

You provided good examples in your post, poprocks.

Ellis, who was drafted in the 2nd round at #40, has gone from 6 pts a game to the 22-26 pts a game in the last half of his 3rd season.

Jameer, who was drafted in the 1st round at #20, had a higher scoring average 8 pts game in his rookie season, but he only averaged 13 pts in his 3rd season, and 10 pts in his 4th season.

After year 1, Jameer and Ellis was comparable, with Jameer the better scoring average, but by the 3rd season, Ellis has doubled Jameer's output.

16. BetterThanEver

I forgot about Steve. Unfortunately, some players never develop the ability to run an offense or how to be a PG. He was one helluva of a combo guard!

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Brooks was a rookie last year, and still managed to show some glimpses, he is the best penetrating player we have on the team.

I think that he is going to have a breakout year this year......and will be a key reserve for the team.

He runs the offense fine, remember all the one man trap busting he did? Teams would trap, and he would scoot on by to get a wide open shot for someone....

I hope that Adelman gets Brooks and Novak in the game together, because a player like Brooks with his speed and the pressure he puts on the defense needs a quality target to pass the ball to when team's collapse on his penetration.

I can't wait for October.

DD

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

And yet our offense collapsed everytime Rafer Alston left the game.

19. BetterThanEver

I have been corrected. Monta Ellis is listed as a SG.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3966

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I completely agree with you here even Green can play back up guard i would much rather take my chance on a 22 year old with frakish athleticism and height then to go another year with Luther Head. Not only that even if Green dont pan out he is also a nice trading chip to a team looking for someone his age and skill set.