1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to sign Gerald Green and play Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Gerald Green needs to grow a brain.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Indeed.

Maybe Santa will leave him one under the tree sometime soon.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

DD, was it ever actually confirmed that Green turned down an offer from Miami or are you just speculating? I remember when he was in talks with Miami, but I could have sworn that They decided to sign someone else. Do you have a link?

4. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

lol, this has nothing to do with hating you... it has to do with hating Gerald Green. seriously, he freakin sucks

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

From what read in an article from a Minniapolis newspaper. G. Greene was very gifted athleticly, but coudln't grasp the offensive system and defensive rotation. He didn't understand the philosphy and missed assignments.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

First of all Brooks gotta understand he has to drive more and more, because sometimes he falls in love with those long jumpers too quickly...but it would be nice to have him as a 2nd option.

But in this case, trade Rafer !

7. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Hahahaha :D Who needs Gereld Green anyway, we have Donte Greene! :D

8. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Green was waived because we needed a big man cause yao went down. He was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Brooks and Green deserve minutes...
    on a lotto team

10. CoolHandLee

CoolHandLee Member

I can only assume Gerald Green isn't in the future plans of the Rockets. We already have a high potential player that we are grooming in Donte Greene, no real need for Gerald.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Most. Predictable. Thread. Ever.

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I see no harm in paying him little and giving him a bench spot and let him compete in practice to earn playing time. He seems likes he's finally ready to learn. Maybe he was just to immature coming into the league after high school? He would still be the closest athletic player to T-Mac we'd have and has shown slow improvement but would still do more then the other Greene now.

If he we're coming out of college right now, what kind of numbers could he have potentially put up there off plain athletisicm? :confused: The only risk is a roster spot and it's all reward potential from there. Who's roster spot would he have to steal, Novack or Hayes? I could still sleep at night. Now that people have forgotten about Rashard lewis, we'd look real stupid if this guy panned our elsewhere when wanting to play here. I'd rather take the risk than hear stories like Rashrd's all over again for years!

#52 redgoose, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  13. cuddie

cuddie Member

Green is a freak athlete and has a nice shot. I think he's worth a roster spot. More so than Mike Harris, Loren Woods and other scrubs. A big factor for him I'd imagine is scenery. He averaged 10 ppg for a lottery team at the time in the Boston Celtics and was a solid contributer. Why did he disappear in Minnesota?
    Motivation. The Celtics are a storied franchise with 16 championships and a great sports town in Boston, I'd love to play for them. Minnesota on the other hand...I wouldn't be so motivated. That's my reasoning behind it, and why he didn't learn the system there.

Houston, on the other hand is his hometown. I heard he turned down a contract in order to work with Lucas here in his hometown. He wants to play for us. He's motivated. People think he's a terrible defender, but when you're as athletically gifted as he is great defense is just a matter of motivation and dedication. I'm sure Shane can help him out. Our Rockets set a hard working, tenacious tone and I'm sure it's contagious.

The only reason we released him was because of the Yao injury, at least in my opinion. Being acquired in February, I wouldn't expect him to learn Rick Adelman's offense that quickly. Jackson played with Rick before in Sacramento so that's why he started contributing right away. At that time, we needed size immediately, so room had to be made.

Now is different though. He's had a few months to work on his game and possibly the entire summer and training camp to learn the system. We need an explosive 2/3, especially since Battier is the only listed SF on the roster (if you don't include Greene). Our backup for the 2 is Luther Head, for the 3 it's Steve Novak, according to the depth chart on espn. He's worth the risk.

For those of you who say the Rockets staff saw something they didn't like, what is your source? Where did you get that info from? Or is it just your guess?

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

sign green for the summer camp, then let things roll.

With 2 rookies coming in and signing, a 2-1 or even a 3-1 trade seems to be down the line, as morey seems to be hinting about with that 2nd round draft as a daft bait.

Good times to look ahead. Hopefully we get pick no 30 and 60 next season. :cool:

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've lost all faith in GG. He can still be a good player but saying we "have to sign him" is a long shot...sort of like thinking vpsan is a good player

16. bewy

bewy Member

ya sign gerald reen so we get two greens bros:}

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

For the Record Green was not released because of Yao's injury but rather Landry's.....we signed Mike Harris to help fill in for Landry when he was out.

Gerald Green can play, and needs to develop, Miami tried to sign him, Green said no so he could stay and work on his game.

I am hoping it is a hush hush, wink wink, deal from the Rockets.

I am not surprised that some people have given up on a 22 year old, and they may be right, but for a guy to average 10ppg off the bench in his 2nd year at the age of 20, means he has some game.

I think he just needs the right opportunity, system and coaching......at least that is what I am hoping.

He is a low risk player, give it a go.

Also, maybe because of a wink wink deal the Rockets went big in the draft instead of for CDR......

;)

DD

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Morey's pretty smart, you can almost always get a decent 2/3 in free agency for the full MLE or less. You can pretty much never get an effective big, or a tall/atheletic/upside player without drafting them. I see us picking one of those wings out there whether its GG or not.

19. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Yes, we should get GG back. We need to dump Hayes (sorry Hayesfan), Harris and Loren, and see where Eliyahu, Dorsey or Greene fit into our scheme during camp.

I have a feeling Greene's going to the NBDL to develop. Dude's 19 and has alot to polish on his game. Dorsey is 24, probably has a better chance of contributing today than Hayes.

And let's be honest. We can't get GG until Landry gets his contract situation fixed.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with you sir.....I would also add Francis and Luther as possible players to be dealt or bought out too.

DD