1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to sign Gerald Green and play Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The other part of this thread is Aaron Brooks.

The Rockets desperatly need a 2nd penetrating player to take the pressure off of Tmac.

Either they are going to do that in trade or they think Brooks may be the answer.

DD

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Totally disagree!

Donte Green is a versatile "do-all" type of player. He can put the ball on the floor and his ceiling is right up there
    The possibility is that he becomes a Rashard Lewis type who can put the ball on the floor. (possible, not probable)

If that's not hope for the future based on the picks then what is?

Dorsey hasn't got much upside - he is what he is, and perhaps he's insurance against Landry leaving? He's certainly got the same shooting range, and probably a better defender (certainly has shot-blocking in his repetoire which Landry doesn't).
    If I'm Morey, Landry isn't getting an offer of anything over LLE now - and if he gets offered full MLE, then he can walk!

In terms of Gerald Green, I'm all for signing him again. He's a genuine scoring threat from the bench and can play the 2/3. Terrible defender - but it seems as though he wants to play here based on his activities since we cut him (rejecting offers, staying in town and working with Lucas).

Aaron Brooks may or may not be the answer as the penetrating guard. I'd like to give him another year to develop, but even at this stage of his career it seems like people are going to struggle to stay in front of him (Price from the Jazz excluded...)

Personally I think that Steve Francis might just be the 'second penetrator/creator' that we're looking for. IF he clearly has no game, then we shouldn't hold the contract, just eat it and keep him in town. The bad press in shipping him out again simply isn't worth it...
    I still think he has some game - but we'll see how he returns from the injury (which hampered his efforts last season...)

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm sorry DD, but I really think Green was nothing more than a cap move. Seriously. He sucks. Move on.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'm with you original poster. Sign Gerald Green and then go after Mikael Pietrus so that with the addition of the other Greene, you know have 3 atheltic swingmen who can backup the starters at the 2/3 spots. Then go after Mo Williams, since he's ostensibly on the trading block, to solidify the PG position

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

See this is what I don't get, the guy is 22 years old and has been in the league for 3 years, with 2 bad teams, and already people say he sucks.

To me, since he never played college, he needs a team of professionals to teach him the right way to play the game.

And, if then he doesn't work out, then he sucks, but with that much athleticism, and shooting ability, and a WILL to WANT to play for Houston....I think you have to give him a cheap contract and coach him up.

22 years old is far too young to give up on a player with his potential, if he were 25...then you would have me...sign him to the LLE and let him learn from Tmac and Battier what it is like to be a professional...and then get him some spot minutes as he learns.

DD

6. Drexlerfan22

Here's the problem:

Minny last season was one of the least-talented, god-awful teams I have EVER SEEN. I mean EVER. And STILL Green wasn't getting minutes?

There's something god-awfully wrong with the guy for that to happen. It's not like Minny was really playing for anything. If they really saw anything in Green, at all, there's no chance they'd let him go for what they let him go for.

And when I've seen Green, the bball IQ just isn't really there.

Waste of talent. Oh well. We have enough borderline players ourselves who are more worth keeping than him.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, but if you look a little deeper you would see that Minny had a glut of players at that position, and most had some major college experience so as an organiztion they made the decision to put time into them over Green, that is fine......

I would harly hold Minny up as an organization known for making good decisions.

Gerald Green has talent, and he turned down an NBA contract after the Rockets realeased him to stay in Houston and work on his game with John Lucas.

I think he may just need a chance.......let's give him a low contract and let him play summer leagues and then see what happens.

He is 22, at a position that we are strong in, and can afford to have him develop, and is a freakish athlete.....holy handgrenades, let's stop getting players off the dump heap and hoping (Francis and James etc) and start DEVELOPING some ala San Antonio.

DD

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree with u on Green. I would rather live with him and his mistakes as opposed to a 4 yr sr like Luther Head. I mean I remember stephen jackson and even jr smith kinda being in the same mold. Like u said, 2yrs lle money and see what happens. I do know he has explosion to the hoop, can fill the lane and just do some things. He's still ypung enough to get better. I kinda wondered who had the higher grade, g.green,d.green, or outlaw. I'm all for adding a guy like Gerald and have him backing up tracy and shane .

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

screw the LLE!

Sign him for 2 years at the minimum with a team option on the third!

Then we can Bird him in compensation if we so choose!

10. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

I agree, its ***** or get off the pot with brooks. let brooks play enough to where we can see if he's what we need, give him a true shot at making it. If he fails, then we know we need to draft next year or trade this year for a PG. Sign green, he is quick and athletic and can slash. Everything we are looking for off the bench. He needs a lot of work, but most young players do. Green seems more committed now than ever which is what he has been lacking.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

In fact captain Jack even played in Australia for a season :eek:

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He may get more money, no reason to low ball the guy.....let the market decide and then sign him....

I am going to have to change my name to Captain 2 stars.....my threads get hammered by the DD haters....lol.

DD

13. Tuan

Tuan Member

Actually, it is still a mystery to me as why Green never got the chance to play in Minny or here. The guy was played meaningful minutes for Celtics a year ago and was one of their main bench guys. The Celtics were also very reluctant to trade him or Al Jefferson. I am not sure why he all of a sudden just disappeared. Maybe the guys attitude just sucks?

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Perhaps he needed a wake up call and a dose of maturity........let him play in his hometown, and find out.

DD

15. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

That's what I'm thinking. It's get your attitude and game right or your out of a job. It was probably a wake up call, hopefully he's awake. You don't really lose by signing him IMO

16. Drexlerfan22

That's the thing: we don't know. But Minny does, and Houston does. To me, there just have to be major problems with the guy for either team to not hang on to him.

17. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

But the Rockets told him to work his game over the summer so they still must have a plan for him.

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

Ya know, Landry deserves at least as much as Brooks got. Realistically a lot more since Landry turned out to be a much bigger impact player than Brooks. Brooks got a big contract when he signed. So lets put this in perspective.

Landry

$427,163 yr1

Brooks

$972,720 yr1
    $1,045,560 yr2
    $1,118,520 yr 3 team option
    $2,016,692 yr 4 team option
    $2,976,637 yr 5 qualifying offer

Brooks potential rookie contract earnings = $8,130,129
    Landry potential rookie contract earnings = $427,163

Wow..just ask yourself who's more valuable to the team and who's salary you'd rather see dumped? If you had to choose between the two who would you keep? For crying out loud even Loren Woods and and Novak made more than Landry.

http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/07-08salaries.htm

You don't just dump a guy like Landry. You move other lesser players aside to make room for him. By the way Sura, Green, and Butler's salaries finally come off the books.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Where do we say anything about dumping Landry? Did you post this in the wrong thread?

DD

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

The dumping of Landry is all over the GARM. I just compared his salary to Brooks and realistically Brooks is not as valuable as Landry. If anyone should be traded it's Brooks.