1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

We have to sign Gerald Green and play Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, Nicholas Batum may become something in a couple of years but we need an athletic wing that is ready to contribute NOW.

Say hello to Gerald Green, while he is a risk, he is a low risk and is a guy that has had some success in the league and has something to prove.

I think the team HAS to pick him up now.

And they must think that Brooks is the answer as our 2nd penetrating player.

I hope they are right.

DD

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

First Green needs to go train with John Lucas.
    Get his act together.
    Do well on the summerleague team.

THEN we pick him up.

3. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

I loved it when we picked up Green, however, there must be something there the staff doesn't like. I really thought he'd fit in nicely but again, there must be something we don't see.

As far as Brooks goes, i think he'll shine this year. He has the skills but I think he was a little overwhelmed last year. If he can settle in and gain a bit of confidence like he showed in the one game where I think he scored 22, he'll be awesome.

4. DaDakota

he is already working with Lucas, he turned down another offer during the season AFTER we released him to work with Lucas.....

DD

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Morey and the staff were high on Green. They didn't want to release him but had to when Yao went down. Morey also said they would take a very close look at him in the offseason. I want to see what he does in the Summer League.

6. DaDakota

I think Green is a lock to get a contract now with Houston......he is a low risk potential high reward wing player.

And he is from Houston....

DD

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Man, I think the Rockets should sign DD as GM/Head Coach aka Isiah Thomas. Probably DD wont be worser than IT. :p

8. DaDakota

LOL - I just like thinking outside the box, and finding potential diamonds in the rough.

Gerald Green is worth a look, he did average 10ppg in the NBA.......and is only 22 years old with freakish athleticism.

He could learn a lot playing behind professionals like Tmac and Battier....

DD

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think DD would be as good as IT as a GM but I'm sure he could coach better than him. :)

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't have any problem asking Green to come to camp,even after picking up Greene. :)

11. DaDakota

Well, IMHO, Gerald Green is currently better than the new Greene......

Gerald Green shot better in the NBA than the new Greene shot in college.

DD

12. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

face it Green will amount to nothing in the NBA...you might as well go to Europe and sign James White if you like nice dunks.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He sure could. But would he?

And who loses a roster spot for him - Harris?

14. DaDakota

You may or may not be right, but what would the risk be in signing a 22 year old athletic SF/SG that is from Houston has had some success in the NBA, and COULD develop learning from players like Battier and Tmac?

Gerald Green may indeed fail, but when he turned down the offer from Miami after we cut him to work on his game with John Lucas Sr. and stay in Houston, I think he may be heeding that wake up call.

Sign him to a LLE 2 year deal, and see what happens? They guy would be a senior in college this upcomming year....sometimes it takes a while for a player to develop or to get to the right situation.

I think he is worth a look.

Harris, Luther, Loren Woods......anything can happen to free up a roster spot.

DD

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I thought Morey said they won't find immediate help in the draft, but would do a trade to find somebody. I am more interested in players still in the league, than potential.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What NEEDS to happen is a quality rotation upgrade not 10-15 roster fillers if this team wants to be a legit player in the NBA,

Sure, sign Greene, trade for Green, yea Dorsey - now, let's add some real Rox.

17. DaDakota

That may still come via trade......but at least the team also has some hope going forward......

DD

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No more so, no less so based on the picks.

So, what will Portland be doing in the next three weeks? Indiana? Bobcats, even. Those are three teams which may be in play for Rox.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

It would have to come via trade. Morey mentioned Newley & Eliyahu were better than anyone they could sign in free agency. He most likely meant for the same amount of money.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Oh, and Bucks.