1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to get rid of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am thinking maybe starting Augustin is a good idea. Let him calm the kids down. And start Sengun at the 5. That may help Green in a more structure system.

Let KPJ off the bench and free wheeling a bit with Gordon and Theis in the lineup.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Augustin is ass on defense.

And if averages more than 5 AST I would be shocked.

wizkid83 likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

These strategic things don't matter to a team that's tanking, he is a better distributor than anyone except maybe Sengun right now. Catch and shoot distributor with vet experience is perfect for developing our guys.

But I think you care about winning more than most and certainly more than the rockets actual organizational plan so I can understand why you feel that way.

Easy and D-rock like this.
  4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

KPJ is and has always been an attacking P/R off-guard who fits best with a steady G who can setup an offense and spot up (like a Haliburton, Lonzo or even a Rubio type).

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I am not pro-tanking. But winning isn't the priority right now. Starting Augustin doesn't necessarily win us more games. But you can't play a lineup with nobody having a clue how to set up an offense and expect the kids to learn.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Josh Christopher needs to be looked at as a Starting Point Guard.

Josh Positive Personality Uplifts people around him and people want to be better with him. Josh runs plays better than KPJ and plays stronger defense, hustles, runs back on defense unlike KPJ.

Alperen is friends with Josh which says a lot, Alperen can't talk in English, Josh cares about Alperen that Josh is learning some Turkish words. Josh is going to be the Core of the Rockets Future.

I am happy Josh got drafted because I think Rafael had KPJ in mind if KPJ really has mental issues and hurts the team chemistry he will be gone.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Move KPJ to the 2 and get a starting pg that can help share ball handling duties and space the floor. Green right now is a train wreck. Let Green run the second unit.
    Wall is not a good mentor for KPJ. I wanted Rubio and Love for House and Wall a while back ago and people thought it was crazy. Rubio knows how to run an offense. He may not know how to score, but KPJ already has shown that he knows how to do that.

DaDakota likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Not sure I follow the logic that Rubio is an upgrade over Wall tbh. Wall's got a career of both better scoring AND better assist averages than Rubio. Did anybody here watch John Wall play before he came to the Rockets?

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Whomever had the brilliant idea of sitting Wall out while paying him 40 million dollars and just hanging with the team should be fired asap!!!

Dobbizzle and DaDakota like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is Rubio coming off a 37 point night at the Madison Square Garden (one of the best arenas).

I think he knows but chose to facilitate, the thing he does in his sleep.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I would think of this season in stages or phases:

Phase 1: Oct 19th-Feb 10th (season start to trade deadline) is a time to figure out rotations, showcase vets and allow young folks to get some exposure; seems we did something like this last year and then when G-League kicked off KPJ, KMJ, etc. went down and worked on their games. I truly believe that experience helped them gain confidence and grow a little quicker. NOTE: G-League has a new format this year, a Showcase Cup (5 Nov to 22 Dec) for 14 games and then a 36-game regular season from 27 Dec-2 Apr. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_NBA_G_League_season
    Phase 2: Feb 11th-April 10th (after trade deadline to season end) hopefully several vets have found new teams and we can go all out with letting the young guys get experience. https://www.nba.com/key-dates

Obviously the above timelines will change if we find trades for EG, House, others prior to 10 Feb. With the new G-League format having already kicked off, not sure how or if we're thinking about getting Josh or Usman some PT for the Showcase Cup.

We're going to have to be patient because there are competing interests this season development/growth and showcasing/trades.

sydmill likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Easier said than done. If we do that KPJ would have a mental breakdown. I don't want another Ben SImmons situation. KPJ is trending towards Russell Westbrook basketball iq while trying to copy Harden's bad habits with the mental state of Ben Simmons.

Stone needs to start low key shopping him around.

#152 cheke64, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Crashlanded19 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are tanking.

DD

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The showcase vets thing is an overblown excuse. We just signed and re sign Theis and Nwaba and we're showcasing them already? House has what one year on his contract. He's gone after this year. Silas isnt showcasing anyone, if that were the case John Wall wouldnt be sitting. He's overplaying vets.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Theis/Nwaba we're signed on reasonable contracts to be vet presence on this team. EG is being showcased. Wall's contract and injury history makes moving him almost impossible; risking an injury only makes him absolutely impossible to move. Stone is waiting for an opportunity.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Reasonable contracts was never in dispute here though they are being overplayed and also that still doesnt answer the question of why we would sign them just to showcase them. Also Gordon gets injured a lot as well Wall played great before going down. What the Rockets are doing right now makes no sense. Showcasing vets is just a made up excuse people use to defend Silas's ineptitude.

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You're not reading, I highly doubt Theis/Nwaba are being showcased, they were resigned to be part of the team (as vet presence). That doesn't mean if someone blows Stone away with an offer they won't be moved. EG is main showcase.

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Reading this thread, good post. Just from what I've seen on TV, his character hasn't changed and it's becoming evident every game. He wants to be the alpha and is becoming increasingly frustrated with the Rockets rebuild. Maybe he's picking up on this from Wood... idk.

IMO, if we traded him, KPJ needs to be traded to a team like the Suns, Lakers or Bucks to truly get put in his place. He's not an Alpha at this point and his reality isn't meshing with the reality of this rebuild. He needs a superstar vet to show him the way. Shopping him around is interesting but if your an opposing GM you have to wonder "why" Stone would be shopping him...

cheke64 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, nwabas presence is already felt, he taught jalen green how to miss 3s an become a worse 3pt shooter

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im reading you are not. HE IS OVERPLAYING VETS was my point. You said he's showcasing them now you have boiled this down to just showcasing EG so you havent refuted anything ive said, you moved away from the point entirely lol.